Agnostic.com

11 1

Are you on a path or a journey?

For a long time, I refrained from using the word "spirituality". I asked everyone what it meant. I received answers ranging from "belief in Jesus" to "of the spirit".
Using a dictionary definition was useless. For decades, I wandered through the writings of sages and philosophers and still hadn't satisfied myself.
One sage, the American prophet Ralph Waldo Emerson, fascinated me, I read the Over-Soul and kept to his idea that nature heals all sorrow. I'm fortunate to live in the Sierras, hiked and bicycled through nature at her best and it finally came to me in one word; spirituality is connection.
And I saw it this way; a spiritual path, for a Christian, is a straight line and at the end of life, there's Jesus leaning against a heavenly Lamborgini holding the keys in one hand and a carafe of Cosmopolitan.
The spiritual path you can fall off and since it is well marked, you can climb back on and continue.
On the other hand, a journey is all over the place and you can't fall off of a journey and climb back on. There are very dark times and it could be raining hard, in the metaphorical sense. In the dark, you have the light of sensitivity and the culmination of the journey up to that point, sage wisdom from many philosophies and spiritual practices, you have the good tent of protection from the rain of the power to carry on knowing something, and the sustenance of knowing that the spiritual journey is about connection to all things living. This, I think, is what Emerson was saying.

rabbibubba 5 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neither. I'm not going anywhere. I'm already here and always have been. There exists only now.

I'm just kinda wandering around in the woods at the moment (figuratively) without a path or even a destination. I've met golden hearts and inky-black souls, saints and charlatans along the way, and they've molded me into the person I am today. I've mourned the loss of dear friends, and happily set others adrift. I envy the birds their freedom of flight to change their surroundings, and the trees their patience to stand still in the face of adversity. I guess I would call that a journey...

I am on a Mission!

1. have fun be happy enjoy life
  2. fight the festering evil in our government every day in every way
    These things are not always mutually exclusive.

My Life will be an Adventure until My Last Breath!!!!!

All I can figure out is that when I die I am either going to be totally amazed or nothing. I figure half of the entire world is going to be disappointed after death.

I think I'm in the middle of a disaster movie.

Definitely a journey "On a Long and Winding Road."

Neither, I'm in an experience. Well, a journey I suppose. As someone who believes in reincarnation and another side, I view life as something to simply experience. Sure there are many people who create their own paths and journeys, as there are journeys in this life. However, those are just part of the experience. As for things like the feeling of destiny, that is just their own plan that perhaps they had prior to jumping into this life and that plan exists in their subconscious, so it feels like a supernatural push. Some people have reasons for coming back, others just take the jump simply to take the jump. I feel like I took the jump to experience the technology, like automobiles and flight. I've flown in a plane a few times and I love driving, so I've experienced what I wanted to.

I think I confused journey with conquest and conquest would be more of a path. A journey doesn't necessarily mean there is a set goal. It is still an experience, though, an experience of the journey of life which is in itself a set of experiences, like you explained.

I’m on a journey with many winding meaningless paths.

Perfect timing.

I don't like using the word spirituality but I am on a journey. It's rather like a river run, just taking me wherever the river leads. I just try to enjoy the scenery and the ride.

gearl Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I feel like I'm on a walkabout. At 46 with 2 college degrees and almost 20 years in one industry, I still don't know where I want to go. I have about 3 years before my youngest turns 18 and I feel like I want to live my life differently then, than I do now. I just don't know what that means.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10025
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.