Agnostic.com

34 6

Are atheists a growing population?

Hello! I am wondering if the atheist group is growing in population in the US or other places in the world? What contributes to this? Is it new, or does the population fluctuate due to other factors?

EdSwan 4 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I belong to a Humanist group, of which most are atheist. Has been going for 2 years. We have more than doubled in size. Oregon is supposed to be one of the most unchurched states. Is not representative of the whole country, just a lot easier to be one here. At least it is for me, real open about where I am.

I certainly hope so, we don't need another term of Trumpism.

That depends on our diet.

Yes, I think so, as part of a growing secular segment of the population: [relay.nationalgeographic.com]

Yes. The only question is: How rapidly?

If you look at the latest Pew Research a few years ago it shows the ‘nones’closing in on 25% but I think open secularists or atheists still only made up 3% of that number. I could be misremembering though.

I certainly HOPE that atheists are a growing demograph. At the bare minimum, atheists are coming out of the shadows. We cannot be ignored, we DO exist, and we really do not want to be overlooked. This is NOT a "christian nation", and we can change that rude attitude simply by making ourselves known!

I think anytime you have a culture that encourages sharing ideas and information freely, religion slowly loses traction. We saw this, historically, during the renaissance periods. Religions, by and large, are control systems for large groups, to get everyone thinking similar things and having similar values. That does not mean they may not have value. It just means that cultures that value freethinking modalities are less likely to accept the rigorous dogma of organized religion.

Hope so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10114
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.