Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Cult Dressing & Religious Behavior

Is certain modern dressing another example of secular religion?

Krish55 8 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With religion on the wane in most of the West, the religious impulse finds new outlets...

"Secular religion" is an oxymoron.

If it walks and looks like a duck...

Here's what Stanford's dictionary says about Heraclitus that is relevant here " best known for his doctrines that things are constantly changing (universal flux), that opposites coincide (unity of opposites),"

@Krish55 Actually, you have a point. Some of the most secular among us engage in "celebrity worship."

I think you'll find that the term secular religion was initiated by Rousseau, intending it to represent a social belief system which excluded theism, and was perpetuated by Robespierre at the French Revolution. And for a staunchly catholic country in C18th, France has remained proudly secular since.

It certainly could be classified as such.

I do not understand your question? Dressing alike is a way to make a "tribe"....armed forces uniforms, girl scout sashes, etc etc. Why drag in religion to every single thing?

Edited for grammar.
Polos and white khakis are the uniform of todays right wingers. I'm of the opinion that the right wing has become very cultish. Maybe I should say the extreme right wing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.