Agnostic.com

3 0

Question on the death of Dr. Stephen Hawking

In light of the death of Stephen Hawking some time ago, why is it that humans just allow their better individuals to pass away? We all know that medical science is potentially unstoppable for curing Lou Gehrig's disease. Why did medical science just sit there, and do nothing while this man wasted away and died? Was it really going to take more than multiple decades to cure Stephen Hawking's problem?

DZhukovin 7 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A lot of Hawking's fame derived from the fact he suffered from ALS and wheel chair bound. Amazing that he was able to overcome his disability by using his brain to add to our knowledge of physics.

At the age of 21, Hawking was told he had two years left to live - he in fact lived for another 55 years, during which he was very vocal and passionate in his praise for and support of Britain's National Health Service which did so much to keep him going. He'd probably have been very unhappy to hear medical science being accused of doing nothing and allowing him to waste away and die.

Jnei Level 8 June 8, 2018

The dude lived way longer than anyone ever expected. I think you are looking at this the wrong way. He made it to 76 which is a decent lifespan for anyone.

Not relevant. 76 years is not enough for a man with an IQ over 180, and tons of potential to contribute to the world's intelligence.

We do not have another Stephen Hawking, okay? He just died. That was the first and last Stephen Hawking for probably a very long time, and he's gone because of the inaction and stupidity of medical science.

@DZhukovin What exactly did they not do or were stupid about? I’m not a doctor and am ignorant of modern ALS treatments. I presume you have studied in the this field.

@DZhukovin "We do not have another Stephen Hawking, okay? He just died. That was the first and last Stephen Hawking for probably a very long time, and he's gone because of the inaction and stupidity of medical science." That's a whole lot of assumptions your making there. There's most likely quite a number of other geniuses out that with such high IQs that are not being recognised as such. And that by the way includes the other gender as well. They'll appear sooner or later.

@DZhukovin I absolutely assure you there is another person with the level of Professor Hawking's intellect somewhere. All we need to do is listen. Professor Hawkings passed away because his body failed. No amount of further medical intervention could have extended his life and how do you know he even wanted that? We need to encourage and educate the next generations...the next great scientist is out there.

@TheMiddleWay

Who cares? He should have been cured, but the doctors were being stupid.

@Amisja

I want there to be a cure for ALS, I don't care how much it will piss off some people.

@indirect76

Okay, let me give you some insight, because I have read sufficiently enough medicine to know that we can literally cure any disease through the study of histology, gene therapy, biochemistry, pure chemistry, etc. because we know all the biochemical processes in the body, by looking through what is known in the textbooks and research papers. Basically all a medical scientist has to do is come up with a bunch of natural cures through knowing different reactions, and he or she has to test their effects on human tissue.

Then financially, what has to be done is to pay the overhead cost of time, materials, labor, etc. So for about one billion USD, ALS can be cured, but d%uchebags in mega-corporations would see the market for ALS treatment possibly dip, so they use the banks and other such nexuses of power to silence these movements.

Additionally, do you see why I am upset, to boot? I wouldn't care if we lost some random bum off the street, but this is Stephen Hawking. Someone like this was nearing on a perfected theory of everything, and was a monument to human intellect and we LOST a human life of that value. Will we ever have a fundamental understanding of the universe without him? Probably not for another thirty years, thanks to stupid people.

@Skyfacer

Stephen Hawking is not just an IQ score, you did not pay attention to what I said. I implied that Stephen Hawking is perfectly unique, and you know what? He is, just start at his fingerprints, then work your way around the rest of his being. Pay. Attention.

@DZhukovin No everyone wants that. I can't imagine anyone wanting to maintain the status quo.

@DZhukovin It just isn't that simple. We can model any number of diseases and certainly on animal testing (do not approve btw) diseases can be cured. However diseases mutate, epigentics affects our vulnerability, new threats occur from industry and sadly science, changes in the environment and increased sensitivity due to decreased biodiversity and monocultured crops create alsorts of problems. We are just on the cusp of a revolution in genetic treatments both by altering genetics and genetically modifying treatments for established diseases. We just aren't there yet.

@DZhukovin It is a plot by the medical community to not cure ALS or cancer for that matter. It's a conspiracy by Biologists working hand in tentacle with the aliens from Zeta Reticula to occupy our planet to mine it for it's nitrogen use.

@buzz13 It's not about idolization. Hawking's mind is rare and has better productions than the other types.

@Amisja

I would counter-argue that object manipulation is irrespective of time.

@buzz13

Okay your second comment is very funny, and I appreciate it but please understand the grief of having a human library/supercomputer just die and decompose to never radiate brilliance until he is resurrected genetically.

@DZhukovin Seriously, you need to get over it, you're making a fool of yourself by continuing to rant about nobody finding cures for ALS. If there was or is a cure Lou Gehrig wouldn't have died young.

@DZhukovin Wow, I didn't know that

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.