Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK BBC - Future - How to spot the secretive activities of rogue fishing boats

Another reason to promote vegetarianism.
Loosely from the article:

The next time you cook a fish or order some seafood at a restaurant, think about the images at the link.

There's a snapshot of all the fishing happening on the ocean over a six-month period. If you zoomed in, you’d see thousands of blue dots, each showing one instance of likely fishing activity at one point in time. This image captures almost 20 million hours of commercial fishing by tens of thousands of vessels around the world. As we approach World Oceans Day this week, it’s sobering to reflect on the fact that industrial fishing now occurs in more than 55% of the ocean – an area more than four times bigger than all the land used for farming.

The vast majority of fishing vessels follow the rules governing fishing – but many are not, and these bad actors can cause a lot of damage.

Read the whole article (and see pics)

RichCC 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only fish I eat is what I catch.

A few weeks ago I was reading about sea salt being contaminated with micro plastics. Apparently, much of this is down to fishing.

It is another reason to go vegan.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102389
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.