Agnostic.com

5 0

QUESTION Rules Are for Schmucks: Defunding Palestine - TheHumanist.com

Severing all relations with the Palestinian pseudo-government would be a major step toward busting the myth of the “two-state solution.” There never was a two-state solution, and there will never be one. Israel never had the slightest intention of allowing Palestine any more sovereignty rights than a South African Bantustan during apartheid, and it never will. Nor should it. The whole idea of drawing a line on a map and putting God experts who loathe each other in charge of the guns on either side is idiotic, has never worked, and will never work.

zblaze 7 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ya know, I went through leadership training at the New York Church of Humanism many, many years ago. When I read the link, somehow I didn't recognize any Humanist sentiment in it, other than to state that Humanism was the answer.

NYCH was focused on relationships, and how knowing how to have relationships properly can do a lot of good for the world. Perhaps Granados could do something practical like actually supporting Humanist values on both sides.

I have mixed feelings about this article. I am a cultursl Jew, not a Zionist. I am angry when I see right-winged Israelis literally stealing land from the Palestineans in the West Bank and building settlements there. I am for a ban on all Israeli settlements. The Gaza strip is the only land left for the Palestineans; Sorry I disagree with you-has to be 2 state solution. The Palestineans must start educating their children in Israeli history or it won't succeed. And no apartheid.

History has shown that the Palestinians can't run a lemonade stand and the Jordanians were unable or unwilling to allow access to the holy places to the Jews before the Six Day War. You want a state? Prove you can be a positive force in the area and a friend to your neighbors. Denying their history and calling them pigs and monkeys is hardly a way to win friends.

I'm not justifying the pre-war attitude of calling anyone names. Both histories need to be respected. When I was in Jerusalem for an extended period of time in college I had Arab and Israeli friends. Many Arabs are Christian. The land belongs to both.

It's still happening. Palestinians are raising their children to deny the historic Jewish presence in the area and encourage martyrdom. They discourage having anything to do with Jews or Israelis. I just read in Bloomberg about Sodastream, a success story that was wrecked by the Palestinian government. Sorry, if you can't live in peace with your neighbors you can't have the land.

ok? Do y'all have a practical solution? No? Ok, you are no worse or better compared to all the others there who also have no practical solution. Hint: if you think taking one side over the other is a practical solution you don't have one.

Tired of people trying to reframe this argument. Unless you have a concrete plan to bring peace to the region maybe we shouldnt play armchair diplomats and statepersons.

but hey its the internet lets debate this for another decade with no solution just angry trolling. Because everyone is an expert and knows exactly what to do with a problem that looks to be the hardest in all of diplomacy.

I think we need the get the heck out of that situation and let them work it out politically. One person one vote, demand all have rights and equal treatment under the law. Wouldn't it be weird if it worked.

I think we should defund Israel as well!!

I don't disagree, however, if we don't, Russia or someone else does and we end up alone on the planet. Meanwhile, we're the ones who go 20 Trillion dollars in debt. There's gotta be a better way.

@MsOliver Just for the record, the first time Egypt shut down the Suez Canal, Israel and France handled it together in the first Sinai Campaign. Eisenhower got so bent out of shape that the US wasn't involved in something that worked, he initiated the policy of military and intelligence cooperation with Israel. Completely without respect to anything religious, it is apparently in the US interest to continue this cooperation. I mean, when you absolutely, positively, have to unlock somebody's iPhone, who do you call? Or when you need Iranian centrifuges to blow themselves up, who do you call?

@MsOliver Best comment.....or at least the one I agree with the most.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10287
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.