Agnostic.com

4 1

Can organised religion ever be a force for good?

I think it would be hard to argue given its history and what we know of organised religion today that they were or are a force for good. If you're in any doubt listen to Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens debate it. But there are well intentioned people within the institutions, is it possible therefore that organised religion could ever be a force for good? What would you what from such a religion? That it does good for goods sake not gods. A religion that respects all people, doesn't seek to indoctrinate and doesn't believe in the revealed true? Or satanists ?

Josephine 7 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some sanitized version of Buddhism, with all traces of Hinduism removed.

I love the glittering temples, temple feasts, meditation ceremonies, etc. here in Thailand.

Or Unitarian Universalists. 🙂

Certainly sub groups of religions provide uplift, for example The Salvation Army and of course The Samaritans was born out of a social need identified by individuals in the Anglican Church. Around the world I am sure there are many groups tirelessly working for those in need that are affiliated or funded/supported by religious entities. At grassroots I think many religious individuals are a force for good. At that level it doesn't matter whether they work in the name of Jesus, Allah or The Great Architrave from the Planet Zog. But this is a 'person' thing. We know that institutions create structures for ideologies of all kinds and we know they can be a cover within which all manner of improprieties can exist. I don't know of Bill Gates' religion, if indeed he supports one, but philanthropy seems to be high on his agenda. Perhaps Microsoft could be a New Church. It certainly is for some!

@Josephine okay didn't know that about the Salvos.

@Josephine I've just trawled through some of the reports and I am horrified. Thank you for pointing it out

Sure - as long as you don't fly jets into buildings

gater Level 7 June 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.