Agnostic.com

15 11

Language learning

Has anyone tried Duolingo to learn a different language. Tried it tonight for Spanish, and it is very interesting, and free. Although you can upgrade to a more advanced version that you must pay for, although I don't feel it is needed. Always wanted to be bi-lingual, to deal with customers while working where I live. The area now has many Spanish speaking people.

solitude1457 4 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've used it for Russian, and it's good. Russian is such a bloody awful language to learn though.

Good for you. I can't stand it when people say "This is America. Speak English." I respond ,"Last time I checked this was a free country. Speak any language you like." And then there is, "Learn another language or are you too afraid of arrest." Gets 'em every time. Learning Spanish is easy. & people love it if you try & speak some. Read the bi lingual signs everywhere to add to your vocabulary.

I might need to look into that.

I started using it recently to learn Portuguese. It's pretty cool I think. I speak English and Spanish. But where I live there is a large brazilian community and I would like to talk to some of the neighbors.

I downloaded Duolingo so the small humans and I can learn Spanish, when going outside to play is not doable.
I'll let you know how it goes.
I have a feeling that the 5 year old is going to do better at it than anyone.

My favorite is Pimsleur audio instruction, but they're expensive. I'm using Duolingo now to learn a little Czech. I'm traveling to Prague later this year. I like it so far.

I have used it and it is ok, but limited to only a small set of languages.
For other languages, I have used Memrise which is very cool.
And for some languages like Chinese, specific apps (HelloChinese, LingoDeer a.o) are even better.

Duolingo and Memrise are very good.

The problems begin later. I lost motivation, ultimately because I had no use for the languages I was learning.

I'm still trying to master my own language. I'm dylsexic you know

I never would have known.

@Ellatynemouth I'm mostly joking

I am dyslexic and it does make learning another language as an adult very difficult. I worked on Spanish for years and still am not fluent. I think I would only become fluent with submersion in a Spanish speaking culture for a number of years.

@DaveSchumacher yes I agree that's the only way I would learn

Use Duo most every day for Spanish, Russian, and Korean. I have the advantage of experience in Spanish and took Russian in college, so I can in fact tell that Duo is friggin awesome.

That is a good one, Rosetta Stone Is great, and there is a new one coming out. It takes a positive mind, and constant work... its not that hard. Stay focuss. I studied french and spanish at college level. French is my favorite. Stay positive read and write every day. I will help you if possible, with questions or understanding the human vrs language learning and or reinforcement.

Etre Level 7 June 10, 2018

IMHO Rosetta Stone is overpriced, and almost useless. I took 4 years of Spanish in HS. Wanted to brush up on it, and watched some courses. They would say a word in Spanish, then show you a random pic, with many objects. How about they just say a word, then show you a pic of a single object?

@TheGreatShadow
Its based on learning like children learn language. Children have all the phonemes needed to learn any language. You would have to understand linguistics and the aquistion of language. Think of how you learned as a child, phoneme object association. Social Cognitive Inference. You already had a system for learning language. Your aquistion of language is not like a person who has never studied a language. Yes Rosetta Stone was over price, the program is quite affordable, and you get a support group. I think like 150 for the set and 2 years of assistance and support group.

@Etre The thing is most adults don't learn like a child. I found it to be far too confusing. It's a memorization thing, I get it. But when too many things were on a pic, I found that confusing. If it works for someone, great! There is nothing wrong with learning another language! Plus if you are fluent, you can get a better paying job just because of it!

@TheGreatShadow
Very true, and what I was saying is that, you have already learned a second language, and that is why the Rosetta did not fare with you. I directed that statement to the guy who originated the thread because he was begining his second language. So any learning language format is good. However Rosetta has a higher rating, more science, and there is a new language learning software coming out that is supposed to be more scientific than Rosetta. But yes I totally ubderstand were you are coming from.

@Etre 10-4!

I can speak giberish as well ?

You can take the master class by listening to A.C. lol

@TheGreatShadow
Don't need too, I am already at an advanced stage. LOL

I've been learning Japanese with Duolingo for quite some time- not easy. I've also tried a few other online language courses, but Duolingo is probably my favourite. Good luck to anyone wanting to be bi-lingual.

I've been using duo lingo for both Spanish and Italian. I don't think I'll ever be fluent using it, but I think it's good enough to not be the stereotypical loud American tourist.

GwenC Level 7 June 10, 2018

Find someone that is fluent and chat with them regularly. That plus duo is pretty tough.

@2two not a ton of fluent italian speakers where I live. Nice thought though

I've been using it for about 2 months. It works pretty well (though I have nothing to compare it to, so I guess it seems to work well!) I'm learning Spanish as well, and hope to move on to German after. It's very slow going, so I suggest you crank up the daily goal as high as you can tolerate. I try to do a lot more than the highest goal setting, or I feel like it's standing still.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.