Agnostic.com

36 9

Hello guys, well, my friend Shana told me that I should not be so open minded, in telling people that I don't believe in a god or gods. She told me that I should keep my views to myself, because I might make people uncomfortable.
Has anyone come across this crap ?

So it's like we now make people uncomfortable,
because we have the ability to think for ourselves.

Wildgreens 8 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When you say you're 100% certain that there is no or s (as you do in your profile) then I can understand why why someone might take issue. Saying "I know there is no or s" is an assertion that must be supported, and as far as I've seen there's no reason to think belief is more or less likely than nonbelief. My current answer is I'm not sure and I don't feel that you shouldn't have the right to feel how you want to but I do feel that you should see why folks might not be so closed off to the idea of a or s.

zing Level 6 May 2, 2018

If asked, or if you are a participant in an open conversation, and the topic comes up, I believe you should say honestly where you stand. For me, that means: I believe in science, the immutable laws of physics, and ethics, and I am a great lover of history, but no - I don't believe that the Jesus story as literal truth. Yes there may be other-dimensional beings, but there is no omnipotent creator being such as Christianity has described it. And while meditation and stress reduction is vital to overall health and healing; prayer does not cure disease, medical science does.

Also, if your religious belief requires you to convert others to your religion in order for you to save your own soulb, you can please stay far from me and my children thank you. (Those people are dangerous)

I do not believe in deliberately trying to make others feel uncomfortable, unless there is a very valid reason for doing so. However, if asked, you have every right to express your honest opinion. If your answer makes others feel uncomfortable, so be it.

No one has told me that.

The bible thumpers make me uncomfortable. Do I tell them to keep it to themselves? No, I just do my best to ignore what they are spewing. I don't preach that I am agnostic, but I won't shy away if someone asks me directly. Continue being yourself, Wildgreens. Keep up the good work.

It makes them uncomfortable because it challenges them to consider an alternative. Good!

Actually it depends on ur environment. If that puts u in danger, u should be careful and choose whom u talk to.
For me, when telling my family and friends, I got many troubles. My father kicked my ass and banned me of money. I suffered alot 3 years ago.
My uncle threatened me that someone would kill me if didn't stop talking about my thoughts on Facebook.
So for now I keep mouth shut off.

you don't knock on peoples doors asking them not to believe where they don't seem to mind one-bit .i say what I mean and mean what I say.

It's really hard to make people see what the're afraid to see due to eternal punishment or whatever the charge for not simply believing but you have us open minded athiest/agnostics here for you🙂

Best I ever had was someone they were going to stay open-minded and accept there was a God.

which is why I don't get into these discussions . what you belueve is not for pubkuc consumption. and it's not our task to convert people after all we get so upset when they try to convert us.

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I subscribe to this point of view John. If somebody wants to discuss then I am happy to try, but as soon as I sniff that it is going to reach stalemate I will divert the topic of conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.