Agnostic.com

23 7

I feel like a walking contradiction. If I don't like something somebody has said or done, I sometimes catch myself saying "God Help You if your mom/wife/mates/whoever else know about that".

I'm not religious at all but it is just a well ingrained figure of speech. Is there anything wrong with this?

bf9baller 3 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

well, I say, Jesus, before I ejaculate. is that the second coming?

Haha that's the funniest shit I've heard all week!

Hahaha

Ha ha good one... thanks for sharing

Oh my god! lmao

well I wasn't planning on sharing Angela but what the HELL lol

No, there's nothing wrong with this. It's a cultural thing, it's learned. I say "Jesus Christ" all the time when I'm pissed off.

I say it too. Or, "Oh my god."

"Jesus F'ing Christ!" 😛

@bingst Yeah, I do that a lot too. 🙂

Not at all.

We talk of Wednesday, which is named after the Norse god Wotan. It doesn't mean we believe in Wotan, or worship him.

Christians using the word 'god' doesn't mean they suddenly get exclusive rights to that word, and that no-one else has the right to utter it.

I'm John. Me being John doesn't mean I can dictate when other people may or may not utter the name 'John'.

So if you want to use christians' own words right back at them, and say, 'God help you, you evangelical dingbat! Jesus Christ you're an idiot!' then you have every right to do so.

lol

I'll just add that I have this same problem with sports metaphors, as I can't stand sports. 😛

No. It's our common language. No religion owns those expressions.

skado Level 9 Dec 25, 2017

Not much more than... Fuck you or fuck me as a response to dickheads/retards/people talking crap when you want no literal sexual contact with them. I personally avoid it but don't make a big deal out of god damn it and stuff.

Just a figure of speech. Don't beat yourself up about it. I wouldn't get tangled up about it in a war of wits either just because someone wants to play the obtuse game.

Is just repeating what we heard all our lives....I use a lot but more like : oh my fucking god..when frustrated...

Well, you answered it yourself. Its just ingrained. This is the case for all who are ex believers. Also, the amount of such figure of speech you are exposed to through films, TV, social media is so huge. Eg. OMG. It's a case of conditioning I believe. Nothing to worry about.

I tell people to go to hell all the time.

No. I suppose it could be an issue if you actually believed in god, but clearly you don't. So who cares?

No...so many of us were brainwashed as kids. I say "God, Lord, etc." in sentences all the time. It's just part of our vernacular. Over time, religious words will become part of our speech lexicon whether people believe in a religion or not.

I do it myself when frustrated orvsurprised... oh my god... tends to exit my lip s it then makes me laugh...I wouldn't worry if I were you ... god with a small thing

Naw... it's just a knee jerk reaction of a vocal come back. Your going loose it the more your aware of it.

no, your sins are absolved

I have a bad habit of saying thank God when something goes right that I thought was going to go wrong , I also say Oh God and God Allmighty

Jesus H. Christ, no !

All that is telling everyone is that it's an environmental issue. (you're a product of your environment, like we all are) I say OMG, but it's a simple figure of speech. Not praise to an invisible deity. Most people say it absent-mindedly. Bottom line: don't sweat the small stuff.

ParkS Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I still say Jesus fucking christ, OMG, godbless you (when someone sneezes) and holy shit. Hard to get it out of your system.

I often realize that I've just muttered, "lord have mercy," especially when someone is being irritating. I have decided to roll with it, and use all the godly phrases as much and as blasphemously as possible. It can be rather cathartic.

I’d try to curb it, especially as you’re aware of it… As I’ve worked for many years to remove ‘god’ or ‘jesus-christ’ from my cuss-word lineup, a funny thing’s happened, within that milia-second it takes to turn ‘god dammit’ into Dog-damit ..I’ll often lighten up ..just enough to either smile, or say nothing.

Now if you’re simply responding in a conversation ..that should be easy… My mother says something like, ‘it’s not that they cuss, it’s their lack of creativity!’ So, less predictable - more creative 😀

Varn Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

I don't think you are alone in that. The tendency to call on god conversationally is just linguistic conditioning. Nothing to worry about ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.