Agnostic.com

20 5

World peace?

Does anyone on this forum truly believe there will be world peace in their lifetime?

I hear people, see bumper stickers, memes, etc., that implore for world peace relatively frequently, and that is a lofty and noble ideal, to be sure. But is it at all even remotely realistic?

I don't aspire to echo the cynic in matters like this, but having gained a modicum of insight into humankind's nature, through living, reading, observing, questioning, etc., I, quite frankly, am not highly optimistic of our chances of making it to the end of the current century.

Thoughts?

Condor5 8 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Until we can do away with money and religion we will never see world peace

We have been in a war every decade of my 70 years, and that is just the US. Everything in human history points to the fact that multiple conflicts are going to be the norm on this planet for the foreseeable future.

How about world Commerce? If you and I are buying and selling fairly, then war is a disincentive for us.

There was an episode of the X Files where Mulder gets 3 wishes from a genie and he asks for world peace. Everyone in the world disappears. He has to use another wish to get everyone back.

Never saw that episode, but it makes complete sense.

It depends on what is meant by peace. Individuals can be at peace, that's a personal decision, not based on externals but acceptance of oneself or circumstances. Can nations/cultures/ideologies be at peace? Probably not. As individuals make up these groupings, therein lies the paradox

While I do not believe for one moment world peace will be achieved in my lifetime, I do however think humanity will carry on for centuries to come yet. The will to survive is still strong in many.

No, sorry to say...I don't. We're such a tribal species that we've always fought others and it's getting worse as we're so overpopulated that we keep bumping into one another. Religion...language...territory....all those things will continue to drive us apart.

No i don't think there will be world peace our lifetime or reach the 22nd century. Might have a chance if we get rid of religion.

World piece is a great goal to strive for, but people should also realize that it is a goal that never will be reached because of the nature of men. Maybe, yes, maybe when people would be able to leave their animal-nature behind, and only judge with reason, it is possible. But it's science fiction and fact is far, far away.

Gert Level 7 June 13, 2018

I'm afraid you're spot on. We've got a long ways to go.

Not if they end the beauty pageants. 🙂 Those contestants are the only ones that ever called for world peace 🙂 As you probably know, the majority of the world's wars are based in and caused by religion. Since we know religion is never going away, there will never be world peace. I'd settle for the Detroit Tigers in another World Series.

lerlo Level 8 June 12, 2018

Religion, corporate greed, the thirst for power: all are forefront in causing the world's ills.

Um No.
Humans are doomed...
I just hope we all die in time to save the elephants and whales...

Yep, too late for the dodo birds and carrier pigeons, eh? Polar bears and Arctic wolves are probably gone soon, too. Bummer.

Recently a German federal court upheld a conviction of a driver who had adorned his bumper bar with a sticker Soldiers are killers. It didn't even say Fuck the armies

Hmmm....

Conviction for...?

Convicted of WHAT ?

@Condor5 for insulting the military ... Fascism is still alive and well in the Nazi realm

@Condor5 for insulting the military ... Fascism is still alive and well in the Nazi realm

@PontifexMarximus HOLY SHIT! Well, I guess I'll cross Der Deutschland off my list of places to travel to, along with Singapore.

For far too long the military have been as untouchable as the religious folks.

I lost faith in the concept because there is no circuit breaker in sight. Any economy is primarily a war tool. Wars are inbuilt into the concept of nation states. War starts at any garden gate. Because we know about the unfairness of owning, we are permanently scared of loss and thus prepared to allow the sate authorities to exercise its privilege of the monopoly of violence. Though behind the scenes international mercenary corporations have always been involved. The entertainment industry does its utmost to maintain the postion of the myth of an honorable warrior class.

Geeze!

It is surprising to me, in a way, that a military man, Eisenhower, warned us so clearly about the rise of the military/industrial complex. Yet, we failed to prevent it and are now mired inextricably in it, it appears.

I can hardly make peace in my own life...no, neither am I optimistic!

Never.
We've been at war constantly since before I was in the military. Add more people, less food and soon, a lot less water....
Throw in crazies in political power and a religiously radicalized military....
Hell, the party's just starting.

I would say that more peace is better than less peace. World Peace?... maybe when the greed stops.

I wish i could brother... as long as we have those nut jobs that beleive their going to get 10 virgins for all the killings they do....

How is that really different from the good old marines?

Explain...

@BucketlistBob Why do other soldiers go out an kill?

@BucketlistBob Why do other soldiers go out an kill?

@PontifexMarximus that's a question... I'm asking you to explain.

Nope - Humans are not peaceful by nature - sad as it may be it takes a lot of teaching to make a peaceful warrior. Fighting is bred into our genes, even if we can be educated, that doesn't preclude our ability to choose otherwise for those who have a stronger fight than flight response. Like it or not, so many of us are omnivores that I am not optimistic about peace just as a matter of physiology. But who knows - stranger things may yet come to pass...?

Not completely but if there were no religion that would be a great start!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.