Agnostic.com

39 1

I need a snappy comeback to "have a blessed day"

In south Georgia, waiters and cashiers at stores often say "have a blessed day" to me. It happened to me three times yesterday! I need a snappy comeback. I've tried "thank you, Jesus" and "thank you, father". I've tried "well, bless your heart" because that is sort of derogatory if you are speaking about a third person, but probably not if you are speaking to another person. I need suggestions!

GeorgiaAthiest 3 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go to hell

Qiru Level 6 June 11, 2018

@Bobby9 thanks

How about just "Thanks," since they are sending you friendly, positive thoughts, well proven to be effective, as shown in the placebo affect.

Have a blessed day is used punitively against peoples christofascists perceive as being lgbtqi. It is not meant well

People say that to me all the time. I usually just say "you too!" as I walk away. I also have no problem saying Merry Christmas or blessing someone when they sneeze.

Thank you. You too. It was a gesture of good will, after all.

Unless you are recognizably lgbtqi, it’s not meant as a good gesture

i would say, "as the universe pleases" and be done with it.

How about "Enjoy your day" ?

"May your life prosper in the four blessings
of old age, beauty, happiness and strength"
--Secular Buddhist Blessing

"Thank you. I'm an atheist but I appreciate your sentiment."

I don't bother replying in a negative way; I realize that for believers that's their way of saying "have a good day"

Depending on context there are times I'll bring up my non-belief but thank them anyway, but most times I just say l tell them to have a good day as well

Hi, Georgia,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Have fun!

I generally just ignore them. Just nod & walk away.

I'm here,the universe has blessed m! Thank you for noticing!

I think a snappy comeback is not a good idea. Religious people already have negative stereotypes about us nonbelievers and this would just reinforce that.

I agree with birdingnut. They are trying to be kind, why get snappy with that? Simply saying thank you and/or have a nice day too is best. By being snappy you make yourself look like an angry crusader.

And may the flying spaghetti monster bless you with his noodly apendage. ?

Deinan Level 4 June 12, 2018

As several have already typed, a simple thanks and a smile go a long way. Friendliness has nothing to do with religion. I can call some of my friends shithead, but they know I do so with a smile.

Well, there's:

"You're not the boss of me..."
"Why yes, blessed are the gays..."
"Who told you about my baby oil?"
"I will if you will, and we can compare notes..."

But in all seriousness, why? Is this the hill you want to die on?

I just smile and nod my head. They mean well.

I say 'I's better than a cursed day'.

xyz123 Level 7 June 12, 2018

I respond in the same manner as when told to "have a nice day."

"OK, I will. (pause) Or, I won't."

JacarC Level 8 June 12, 2018

"Thanks. I need all the blessings I can get."

Thank you and as an atheist I always have a blessed day, I bless it every morning , you should try it.

EMC2 Level 8 June 13, 2018

"You have a blissed day, too." 🙂

Meep70 Level 7 June 13, 2018

Thanks. I'll take all the good luck you have to offer.
I guess that's better than being cursed.
Happy Halloween. (not on Halloween -- on Halloween, say Merry Happy New Year)
I hope you die the death you fear the most. (this is reserved for very special cases)

xyz123 Level 7 June 13, 2018

They mean well. I have no problem with it. I don't say God Bless you when someone sneezes. I say bless you. There is a difference.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104911
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.