Agnostic.com

39 1

I need a snappy comeback to "have a blessed day"

In south Georgia, waiters and cashiers at stores often say "have a blessed day" to me. It happened to me three times yesterday! I need a snappy comeback. I've tried "thank you, Jesus" and "thank you, father". I've tried "well, bless your heart" because that is sort of derogatory if you are speaking about a third person, but probably not if you are speaking to another person. I need suggestions!

GeorgiaAthiest 3 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Have a blessed day” is definitely a put down. Whether the holier than thou, poorly educated, christo-fascist recognizes this or not. It assumes a great deal and hijacks the societal secularism of “Have a pleasant, nice, great, wonderful, etc day” by appropriating your day into their kook religion.
This point is easily proven by them being placed on the receiving end of a Satanist cheerfully waving them goodbye while saying “Have a sacrificial day!”. How could they possibly take offense? (Especially when their manual is full of witches, ghosts, demons, and plenty of sacrifices ordered by their god).

I feel the southern obliviousness to their offensive rhetoric on a daily basis here in Oklahoma as well. What I tend to do is respond with is Salaam Alakum. It basically means and peace to you. Which mirrors their intended sentiment. And is the good vibes I try to embrace as much as I can. Yet also pokes at the fact that THEY do not appreciate even good will from other religions. So why must they persist in shoving their delusions onto me?

I can tell the difference between a Christian just trying to be nice vs one being petty. I would like a snappy comeback for when someone tells me “I’ll pray for you” when they do not agree with an opinion I have. They will end an argument with me by saying “we’ll have a blessed day” or “I’ll pray for you” or something that indicates I need saving. That in my opinion deserves a snarky rebuttal.

It always shocks the crap out of me. lol I was in my 50s before I had a store clerk in New England say 'have a blessed day' - I just stared like 'what now?'... I was stumped.

I do like the return blessings someone listed below though... I mean why not? And 'The Force be with You' just can't ever be offensive right? 😄

[etymonline.com] Thank you but I've already sprinkled blood on my pagan altar

May the blessings of the universe follow you for ever!

In London we say Ta! its extremely short for thank-you and allows you more time to escape without mismaking yourself

jacpod Level 8 June 18, 2018

Live in Joy!!

Thanks. I'll take all the good luck you have to offer.
I guess that's better than being cursed.
Happy Halloween. (not on Halloween -- on Halloween, say Merry Happy New Year)
I hope you die the death you fear the most. (this is reserved for very special cases)

xyz123 Level 7 June 13, 2018

Thank you and as an atheist I always have a blessed day, I bless it every morning , you should try it.

EMC2 Level 8 June 13, 2018

"Thanks. I need all the blessings I can get."

I respond in the same manner as when told to "have a nice day."

"OK, I will. (pause) Or, I won't."

JacarC Level 8 June 12, 2018

Well, there's:

"You're not the boss of me..."
"Why yes, blessed are the gays..."
"Who told you about my baby oil?"
"I will if you will, and we can compare notes..."

But in all seriousness, why? Is this the hill you want to die on?

Hi, Georgia,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Have fun!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104911
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.