Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

False.. we have absolutely no idea what is going on in someone’s head 100% of the time. There are many reasons why medically and physiologically people choose this option. Drugs and therapy(of many kinds) can’t fix everything. I couldn’t imagine making that choice at this point or ever in my life... but never say never.

In the end it's your life. I would never leave my kids to face this thing alone so not an option for me. But I don't judge others

Having met a lot of victims of child abuse, and a lot of chronically ill people, no. Abandoning the cultural and societal taboos is the brave act. Disregarding all of our social programming that says we must live, regardless of our suffering, that is the brave act. Overcoming the fear of death as a result of tremendous suffering is not cowardly at all.

My answer would certainly be a firm FALSE. I think to even pose this question shows how fucked up the reality of mental health summations are. Would anyone say this about a terminally ill cancer patient? No, they would be talked about how valiantly they fought their illness. This of course is only an opinion from a man many times committed for unsuccesful attempts. Suicidal idealizations for many are a coping mechanism to know there is a way out, even if one has never tried to off themselves. I have been writing these notes since I can remember and the times I have tried I left no notes because of this social misconception of it being viewed as a cowardly act. Our brains are wired to keep us alive and to overcome that wiring takes way more to do then anyone who has not attemped it could ever fathom.So conversely in my opinion it is not a cowardly act. I think it is said as a means of the ones saying it to feel better about not doing anything when there were signs of it coming and they did nothing to try to help or prevent it. JMHO

I have sympathy for someone want to commit suicide.

Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes, and I can take or leave it if I choose.

Its just sad

Not really, if your mind is making you that delusional about your true self, your esteem is so low you can't really handle it. it's not about cowardice or not being a coward. You just don't have proper control on your sense of reason or emotions at that point. The person should be felt sorry for not blamed for anything.

Well, there are pros and cons to everything I guess. I was raised in Oregon and a few years ago doctor assisted suicide was passed there for terminally ill people. If someone truly wishes to stop living with pain and it is 100% sure they are going to die slowly then who am I to judge how they go. I would rather go on my terms standing on my feet then letting cancer decide when to take me. Just my opinion... As for the mental health issue, Sure if someone can be talked out of it or treated then that is a save, but I am sure that there are people out there that just want to no longer live but are sane and not depressed. Again though, who am I to judge?

I have another question;

If we go with a religious view on this then, why is it acceptable to execute people in the name of justice by state law but illegal to take your own life? Not all states outlaw suicide, but they will put you in the funny farm to try and find out what's wrong in your head. Killing is killing... yes? By your own hand or someone else's. Please don't misunderstand my statement here, I think if you go out and murder, rape, pillage then it's "off with your head!" as far as I'm concerned. But, to put someone in jail for wanting to take their own life seems like a double standard to me. The state says "You must be punished for your crimes" yet what crime am I committing by hurting myself. Who am I hurting by attempting my own life? Is it a victimless crime if I am the victim? If I feel that I am not a victim they who's to say otherwise. My life, my decision. Cowardice, perhaps, but maybe some out there really don't want to deal with this messed up world we live in now. /shrug

I like what you wrote minus the cowardice part. Anyone that can derive it is a act of cowardice I surmise has never actively attempted in participating in the taking of their own life. That also would not be for anybody to judge. How could anyone judge something they know nothing about? Not the walk nor the desiring for the end. I always hear they had a family and it leaves pain for them. So then they should continue living the way they are for their family. Is it love when the expectation one should think of others pain and not their own or survivors pain is of more importance. Continue living the way one is because the one's pain is their own and keep it to oneself. No one would say that to a terminally ill cancer patient who kills themselves at the end.. No, they say he fought so valiantly as if they can understand one's pain and there is some kind of divide between mental health and physical health pain. Just cause someone is labeled mentally unhealthy does not mean one cannot decipher or distinguish there own pain or wanting it to end or what it means to kill oneself. Of course there are exceptions. I have lost quite a few people to suicide and I have never thought it to be cowardice. These were people I had discussed suicide on many occasions and I am happy to have been confided in and a crying shoulder to freely express these thoughts, which are normally taboo to talk to anyone about especially their loved ones. Sure it hurt me that they chose the end, though that was their decision their pain and not mine, especially to judge. The pain of losing them for me pales in comparison to the pain they had to endure by living. In my opinion I would be selfish to put my own needs above their desire to just end it. JMHO

“The so-called ‘psychotically' depressed person who tries to kill themselves doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill themselves the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

When the cost of staying above ground becomes more than what you're getting out of being there, and you don't see any potential change on the far horizon, that might indicate that it's time to check out the daisies from underneath.
I keep an exit cocktail close.
This approach seems more reasonable at 75, but it could be appropriate at most other ages.

Committing suicide (that is actually killing yourself intentionally) is in my opinion a desperate action and though selfish is ultimately very brave act.
Attempting suicide with no real intention of actually dieing is a pathetic selfish cry for attention, done to take away from yourself the responsibility for dealing with your own problems and blame shifting. It impacts negatively on those around you and is the height of cowardice.
Becoming suicidal, facing it, admitting you have a problem and seeking help either alone or with others is an act of unselfish bravery

False

What’s false I’m interested after 36 years in psychiatry and mental health so perhaps you can I lighten me. I must add the when I started my take I inadvertently left NOT cowardice, never cowardice. So maybe you can expound

False.

I've actually considered that question for a while and to me it's acceptable depending on the circumstance... I don't have children.. Not really planning on it. I don't have brothers or sisters... Rather than lingering on when I'm no longer able to take care of myself, I want to choose how I go in a way that I can look back at my life and appreciate it. I want to go while I can still remember who I am and have all my memories accompanying me on my last breath.

It’s not cowardly, but then again, courage isn’t a factor in suicide attempts. Courage is when someone overcomes the fear of losing something. Depressed people don’t add their own life to that equation.

Marz Level 7 June 12, 2018

That’s a really good observation

It'll always be thought to be selfish by people who have never really been to the edge before.

Yes your right... if you have never been there then it difficult to contribute but I think all of us have our private thoughts

And can be thought of as selfish by those who have too.
I was diagnosed as bi-polar at the age of 11, I have struggled with suicidal tendencies from the age of 14 on a daily basis.
I faced my "demons" years ago and decided, should I ever actually kill myself, It will be organised before hand, so as to be certain of success, with all post-mortem arrangements made first, so as not to burden anyone.
I would never put my family and friends through a bogus and abortive attempt at suicide as that would be cowardly, selfish and attention seeking behaviour of the lowest order.
Having made those decisions, taken responsibility for my own life and death, I cope with my conditions and keep them in check. It is a matter of respect for others and for oneself.

false, a desperate move maybe

My thoughts exactly.

I'd say false as most get to that state after trying to reach out for help. Admitted the signs could be better, but as even now the idea of depression and such still carries such a stigma around it. And I don't know how many times I've heard to just duck it up or that's life just deal with it. That many just close down until this sad end is the result.

I'd say no ,it's actually intelligent . If someone is terminal or even has chronic depression , euthanasia just may be a logical choice

I totally agree

@Kojaksmom I don’t not with depression but yes to a terminal disease with no cure and intractable pain

One of my key triggers for suicide would be a diagnosis of a long drawn out terminal illness, in such a case self euthanizing would be kinder to others than having them suffer for months with me.

@LenHazell53 I agree,

I think it depends on the reason, let's say you live in pain from an illness I think it's fine. If you have committed a brutal crime that is unjustifiable and do it because you rather die than spend the rest of your life in a cell than yes that's a bit cowardly.

I don’t necessarily support the death penalty but I think I can understand the emotions of others . There’s 3 men in fed prison that I’m aware of and sorry to say that if they were shifted and died I surely would shed a tear

Everyone will die. You can leave it to chance or you can take control of it.

Absolutely that is the right and duty of the thinking being.

I do not know or pretend to know what someone is going through that is suffering from a mental illness. I cannot pass judgement on someone that takes his or own life. There are some that kill others and then takes their own lives; I have a problem with those people. If one has a problem with living, why hurt others who are innocent and want to live their life. I do think that there should be more access to mental health treatments that is currently available.

It really is not that black and white.

The word cowardly itself suggests a judgment and condemnation. No one can know what is in another's heart or mind. I am not here to judge others, for choosing suicide or anything else.

If i was facing a death sentence, lifelong pain, or escalating physical disabilities, i can't know what i would decide. I work with such people daily, am amazed at their bravery, and also believe that if challenged as they are, that i would make the decision best for me. Whatever that might be.

Excellent observation, nicely put

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.