Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Suicide is irresponsible. The ones left behind have the hardest job.

True true. But once you have reached that point, you do not care.

Not really, if your mind is making you that delusional about your true self, your esteem is so low you can't really handle it. it's not about cowardice or not being a coward. You just don't have proper control on your sense of reason or emotions at that point. The person should be felt sorry for not blamed for anything.

“The so-called ‘psychotically' depressed person who tries to kill themselves doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill themselves the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

false, a desperate move maybe

My thoughts exactly.

Normally cowardly. But if the death has a benefit and does not betray others, but honors others?
Not cowardly, but the bravest action.

I wouldn't see it as cowardly. For some people it is the only option that they wish to consider. UNless you live in someone else's head you don't know the narrative that they are living by. Support and encouragement for desperate people is a worthwhile action, but a choice made is empowering, even if it leads to their death

False!

For me I don't have the insight to come to a true or false answer. I'm on the outside looking in.

Not cowardly, but foolish and stupid. Would be the words i usually use. There always a way to fix whatever problems one might have..

Fix my terminal cancer.

Fix the problem like Ucranians in Holodomor who ate deceased human bodies in order to live.

False.

When the cost of staying above ground becomes more than what you're getting out of being there, and you don't see any potential change on the far horizon, that might indicate that it's time to check out the daisies from underneath.
I keep an exit cocktail close.
This approach seems more reasonable at 75, but it could be appropriate at most other ages.

Committing suicide (that is actually killing yourself intentionally) is in my opinion a desperate action and though selfish is ultimately very brave act.
Attempting suicide with no real intention of actually dieing is a pathetic selfish cry for attention, done to take away from yourself the responsibility for dealing with your own problems and blame shifting. It impacts negatively on those around you and is the height of cowardice.
Becoming suicidal, facing it, admitting you have a problem and seeking help either alone or with others is an act of unselfish bravery

False

What’s false I’m interested after 36 years in psychiatry and mental health so perhaps you can I lighten me. I must add the when I started my take I inadvertently left NOT cowardice, never cowardice. So maybe you can expound

It’s not cowardly, but then again, courage isn’t a factor in suicide attempts. Courage is when someone overcomes the fear of losing something. Depressed people don’t add their own life to that equation.

Marz Level 7 June 12, 2018

That’s a really good observation

I think it depends on the reason, let's say you live in pain from an illness I think it's fine. If you have committed a brutal crime that is unjustifiable and do it because you rather die than spend the rest of your life in a cell than yes that's a bit cowardly.

I don’t necessarily support the death penalty but I think I can understand the emotions of others . There’s 3 men in fed prison that I’m aware of and sorry to say that if they were shifted and died I surely would shed a tear

I do not know or pretend to know what someone is going through that is suffering from a mental illness. I cannot pass judgement on someone that takes his or own life. There are some that kill others and then takes their own lives; I have a problem with those people. If one has a problem with living, why hurt others who are innocent and want to live their life. I do think that there should be more access to mental health treatments that is currently available.

Without a doubt, it's cowardly. It's the easy way out. Instead of investigating ones self, changing ones situation so that they are no longer depressed, sad, unhappy, unfulfilled (fill in any other reason someone would commit suicide), they take the easy way out and, in turn, hurt everyone in their life who loved them. Instead of being a coward, they should spend every waking moment figuring out what's wrong, fix it and move forward. I get that some people are on depression meds and all that, but depression can be beaten -- IT JUST TAKES WORK. And to anyone that says otherwise, they're just mad that they've not been able to put in that work (or they know others who haven't put in that work), so they justify with this thing or that. No excuses. Do the work to make the change that will make you happy, or take the easy way out.

Wow, depression is a complicated disease and needs much more research. To say just do the work is equal to ssying suck it up and get over it. This is a dangerous point of view

You are sadly mistaken. Sure, healing takes work. But suicide is not the easy way out. There is no easy way out.

This is written as if you've never experienced real depression. To say that it can be just worked through makes about as much sense as saying someone with a broken leg can just 'work it through.' Depression is a result of an imbalance in chemicals in the brain. Medications can help in a large number of cases -- but not all.

@Cherie44 Terminal illness is acceptable.

"Chemical imbalance" is nothing more than a fancy modern term for "let us sell you more meds that you can get addicted too." When I was young, that was called "suck it up buttercup." Change who you are. Change your surroundings, your decisions and your life and you'll be OK. Too many people turn to the "medical community (aka - big pharma)" instead of looking within and just fixing themselves. Self-loathing is pathetic.

I experience 2 things. One is depressive realism. Just looking and actually acknowledging how fucked up the systems and realities that we normalize are. The other is chemical. I can do the things I normally enjoy, and I essentially don't get or process dopamine or any natural reward chemicals. Getting a hobby, or otherwise changing your behaviour or environment isn't going to fix that when your brain is incapable of responding to it.

@Clauddvon did you know that depression, etc, is a ‘real’ brain disorder? Causes vary, but it is in the brain.

@Freedompath did you know that this diagnosis didn't exist prior to the year 2000 and even then it's only a theory? I believe in and subscribe in the melancholia theory myself - cognitive, not mental....aka stemming from irrational "should" and "musts" leading to inappropriate self-blame, self-pity, or other-pity in times of adversity.

@Clauddvon there are now diagnosis, Nothing is 100%, but even inexact science has theories. If you want, there is much research now on the brain and you can see for yourself what discoveries have been made! Only of late, were brains donated for research. Science can show us a lot more, than speculation.

@Clauddvon in my 25-30 odd years of therapy, my depression never came down to something, as simply as you state. That goes back further than 2000.

If anything then it's a final move

I have heard it takes courage to kill your self. I do knot know the facts. However, If you are in agonizing pain either mental or physical and you have taken every step to relive the torment and your decision is that you could not bear the pain. To end your own life would be simply to escape from the torcher you feel. I do not think it is the act of cowardice it is simply relief.

azzow2 Level 9 June 12, 2018

"cowardly" is using stream of consciousness, so false. Big false, there.

Seems to me that an individual should have the ultimate say on whether their life should continue or not. That is not to say that people with depression should not get help and be able to get past the dark places in their lives but everyone should have autonomy. In the case of incurable illness, ending your life before a horrible end makes a lot of sense to me.

No its sign of complete depression! The person feels life sucks to much to continue! They don't see it improving and most likely get worse.

i wonder how many killed themselves thinking they were going to heaven....

Probably the majority

Having met a lot of victims of child abuse, and a lot of chronically ill people, no. Abandoning the cultural and societal taboos is the brave act. Disregarding all of our social programming that says we must live, regardless of our suffering, that is the brave act. Overcoming the fear of death as a result of tremendous suffering is not cowardly at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.