Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My answer would certainly be a firm FALSE. I think to even pose this question shows how fucked up the reality of mental health summations are. Would anyone say this about a terminally ill cancer patient? No, they would be talked about how valiantly they fought their illness. This of course is only an opinion from a man many times committed for unsuccesful attempts. Suicidal idealizations for many are a coping mechanism to know there is a way out, even if one has never tried to off themselves. I have been writing these notes since I can remember and the times I have tried I left no notes because of this social misconception of it being viewed as a cowardly act. Our brains are wired to keep us alive and to overcome that wiring takes way more to do then anyone who has not attemped it could ever fathom.So conversely in my opinion it is not a cowardly act. I think it is said as a means of the ones saying it to feel better about not doing anything when there were signs of it coming and they did nothing to try to help or prevent it. JMHO

Well, there are pros and cons to everything I guess. I was raised in Oregon and a few years ago doctor assisted suicide was passed there for terminally ill people. If someone truly wishes to stop living with pain and it is 100% sure they are going to die slowly then who am I to judge how they go. I would rather go on my terms standing on my feet then letting cancer decide when to take me. Just my opinion... As for the mental health issue, Sure if someone can be talked out of it or treated then that is a save, but I am sure that there are people out there that just want to no longer live but are sane and not depressed. Again though, who am I to judge?

I have another question;

If we go with a religious view on this then, why is it acceptable to execute people in the name of justice by state law but illegal to take your own life? Not all states outlaw suicide, but they will put you in the funny farm to try and find out what's wrong in your head. Killing is killing... yes? By your own hand or someone else's. Please don't misunderstand my statement here, I think if you go out and murder, rape, pillage then it's "off with your head!" as far as I'm concerned. But, to put someone in jail for wanting to take their own life seems like a double standard to me. The state says "You must be punished for your crimes" yet what crime am I committing by hurting myself. Who am I hurting by attempting my own life? Is it a victimless crime if I am the victim? If I feel that I am not a victim they who's to say otherwise. My life, my decision. Cowardice, perhaps, but maybe some out there really don't want to deal with this messed up world we live in now. /shrug

I like what you wrote minus the cowardice part. Anyone that can derive it is a act of cowardice I surmise has never actively attempted in participating in the taking of their own life. That also would not be for anybody to judge. How could anyone judge something they know nothing about? Not the walk nor the desiring for the end. I always hear they had a family and it leaves pain for them. So then they should continue living the way they are for their family. Is it love when the expectation one should think of others pain and not their own or survivors pain is of more importance. Continue living the way one is because the one's pain is their own and keep it to oneself. No one would say that to a terminally ill cancer patient who kills themselves at the end.. No, they say he fought so valiantly as if they can understand one's pain and there is some kind of divide between mental health and physical health pain. Just cause someone is labeled mentally unhealthy does not mean one cannot decipher or distinguish there own pain or wanting it to end or what it means to kill oneself. Of course there are exceptions. I have lost quite a few people to suicide and I have never thought it to be cowardice. These were people I had discussed suicide on many occasions and I am happy to have been confided in and a crying shoulder to freely express these thoughts, which are normally taboo to talk to anyone about especially their loved ones. Sure it hurt me that they chose the end, though that was their decision their pain and not mine, especially to judge. The pain of losing them for me pales in comparison to the pain they had to endure by living. In my opinion I would be selfish to put my own needs above their desire to just end it. JMHO

False.

It'll always be thought to be selfish by people who have never really been to the edge before.

Yes your right... if you have never been there then it difficult to contribute but I think all of us have our private thoughts

And can be thought of as selfish by those who have too.
I was diagnosed as bi-polar at the age of 11, I have struggled with suicidal tendencies from the age of 14 on a daily basis.
I faced my "demons" years ago and decided, should I ever actually kill myself, It will be organised before hand, so as to be certain of success, with all post-mortem arrangements made first, so as not to burden anyone.
I would never put my family and friends through a bogus and abortive attempt at suicide as that would be cowardly, selfish and attention seeking behaviour of the lowest order.
Having made those decisions, taken responsibility for my own life and death, I cope with my conditions and keep them in check. It is a matter of respect for others and for oneself.

I've seriously considered it.
The two biggest things that kept me from it was the thought that the younger ones in my family might copy that example, without expending every effort to find answers.
And my own efforts which finally found me a great therapist. (3rd attempt.)
Be kind to yourselves people, you deserve this.
Oh, duh, the question. Without knowing that person's innermost turmoil, don't judge.

Patently false...

False. Suicide is more about hopelessness and despair. In most cases the persons believes they have no options open to them that will help them our of their hopelessness and despair

I personally believe in most cases suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but the suicidal person is overwhelmed and sees no way out of their problems.

It is interesting that every survivor who ever attempted suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, changed their minds before they hit the water.

The only time that I can see taking ones own life as an acceptable option is when age or illness has left them with a poor quality of life and the total and complete inability to contribute to their community anymore.

More deaths from suicide than from war, murder and terrorist combined in the world.

Most cases of suicide are because they can't find anyone that love them. Old and enfants die when they are not loved.

I believe in enthanasia when pain or horrible life conditions are too great wroth living for.
Life is challenging, you must love yourself first and find love and on top your healthy.
Then you can be considered a coward.

Suicide is cowardly not brave but one might think of it as the very last move in a person who has been depressed for years or overwhelmed by the symptoms with suicide the born out all depression brings... it’s an isolated, lone , helpless guilt filled state where one might seem on the edge of insanity

I can't help but think it's selfish. My mom had bowel cancer and tried everything to stay alive. A friend's 17 year old had a brain tumour and passed away 4 months after being diagnosed. His parents fought so hard!! People committing suicide have their whole life ahead of them and they decide to end it...

Ryksie Level 6 June 12, 2018

Depression is chronic pain. Anyone who's lived with chronic pain eventually reaches a point where they're "done" and just can't deal with the destruction of their quality of life any longer.

The other people who "fought so hard" are the selfish ones because they're telling their loved one to endure a life of misery just so they don't have to be sad

Coward. I don't advocate suicide, unless you have a debilitating condition. Two people have tried to kill me. I'm stronger than death...

@Josephine "survive suicide"? Look at what you just wrote...

False.. we have absolutely no idea what is going on in someone’s head 100% of the time. There are many reasons why medically and physiologically people choose this option. Drugs and therapy(of many kinds) can’t fix everything. I couldn’t imagine making that choice at this point or ever in my life... but never say never.

In the end it's your life. I would never leave my kids to face this thing alone so not an option for me. But I don't judge others

I have sympathy for someone want to commit suicide.

Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes, and I can take or leave it if I choose.

Its just sad

I'd say false as most get to that state after trying to reach out for help. Admitted the signs could be better, but as even now the idea of depression and such still carries such a stigma around it. And I don't know how many times I've heard to just duck it up or that's life just deal with it. That many just close down until this sad end is the result.

Not cowardly. Matt's Story:

I don't agree with suicide, but to answer your question is no, it take big balls to actually do that

It occurs to me that with the my body my choice movement women are praised for choosing to end another life, but it doesnt seem to have any carry over when someone chooses to end their own life. you have to consider the physical and or emotional pain someone deals with on a daily basis. we as a species are hoarders including the people around us. i have suffered with being bipolar my entire life, and a significant amount of physical abuse in my formative years just to be cast out by my parents at 14. when i slit my wrist in Florida following a breakdown. the police had the bright idea of beating me senseless and repeatedly macing me to "save my life". i think if it ends someones pain then is their decision alone.

Please remember bipolar, like any mental illness, is a brain disorder! You just have to keep trying different approaches, to find the best way to manage it! I found hope even depression free! I am so sorry that you were treated badly, when you needed caring the most! I had similar situation, not beaten, but taken by the police and kept in the emergency room, with testing of all sorts...which all came back, normal! That wasn’t help...it was a henderance! Good luck...

Desperate.

Coldo Level 8 June 12, 2018

Sometimes true; sometimes false.

I'd say mostly false for most people. For those few gor whom it might be true, I don't think they really think the consequences of their actions trhrough.

"Cowardly?"

JacarC Level 8 June 12, 2018

I used to think cowards not anymore in most cases the person is not mentally capable of decideing what's right from wrong so sad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.