26 6

POLL Do you have a FaceBook membership and a Agnostic membership, and strive to keep the two separate?

Personally, I don't want the two to mix, ever. I don't have a secret different personality here, vs FB, I just see them as two groups of people who I want to interact with in different ways. I do have an issue with posts from FB that get shared here... and now visa versa. I know thats my issue, Im just wondering how many people feel the same as me, vs like the sharing?

View Results Add Comment

26 comments

I thought that it only overlaps if I want it to. I've only shared one thing so far and probably won't share a lot. I feel like you do that it is 2 different groups of people. And actually the people here are more fun!

The people hear are more fun for sure.

I agree, mostly more thought oriented (thoughtful should have worked there but didn't., lol)

My Facebook is only people I know in real life. So far, Agnostic is 99.99% people I have never met in person. There is not yet any reason for overlap.

I don't care one way or another.

I deliberately keep my Facebook friends to people who actually are friends. So far I don't know anyone from here. If I did, I'd have to decide.

i do not have a Facebook account. They collect too much personal information and there system is not secure.

They are separate so I do not need to strive to do it. I would have to strive to connect them and would not even know how to do it.

Most of my Facebook friends are very religious. I wouldn't want to stir the pot by mixing the two

I do wish to keep them separate. That's the reason I haven't clicked the "like" button on the Agnostic ad that keeps coming up on my facebook feed. Yes, it's how I found this site, and yes I figured it was okay because the ad showed that 2 of my agnostic friends "like" the agnostic facebook page... But I don't want my name showing above the ad on someone else's feed. Reason solely being because the ad shows it's a "dating" site, even though I'd say most people use it for community mostly.

My fear is that someone connected to my ex would see it and share that I'm here, and it would be another way of him stalking me online, even if it means that he would create a fake account. I'd rather have this be separate from my facebook account, which I can control my privacy to a point.

Yes! So much of this.

Separate. Different people. I’ve actually unfollowed most of the religious people as I got so tired of the bs.

Doesn't matter to me

Nah. Took down my Facebook a couple of years ago. Now I hang out on Reddit with all the cool people.

Hm, I keep mine up to have added contact to certain family and friends.... I'll have to check Reddit out now, tho. Ty

Edited

I’m a new member here. I have no feelings yet.

Welcome Hitch!
Get comfy and jump in the deep end.

Limited overlap-friends from here are friends on FB now. Most of my close friends are non-political.

Can't vote on this as I have pretty much ignored my FB account lately. I got sick of it, tried to remove my presence from it, but gave up after a while. I keep it open just to check in once in a while. I don't overlap because I don't care about FB much at all.

Kind of different audiences to me. I have Christian and Muslim friends on Facebook, so I try not to be too anti-religious on there. I can let rip when I feel like it, on here.

But I have no problem with the two worlds crossing over.

Facebook is 100% people that I actually know. It's also the primary tool used by my homeschool co-op to plan events for the year. So, it's completely different worlds. I'm the same person both places, but they function differently in my life.

My facebook is full of international people, some I met online and some that I met in person and then added on facebook later. I also have a bunch of people that I originally met online but have met in person.

I'm actually going on a trip to meet an internet friend in Boston for the first time next week and, in September, I'm meeting up with some internet friends in Texas that I met in person for the first time last year

I choose option 4: I don't care: Who joins or doesn't join a network where i post or comment has nothing to do with me. I am always who i am regardless of the medium or network.

F fakebook. Dropped that months ago. Much better off without.

I wanted to mention ... ( haven't read others' answers yet so I maybe repeating)
That I'm using fb less and less. Just a completely separate universe.
I also voted for "a little overlap" as I officially haven't de-closeted to those I know personally. but they guess, without concrete data. Hey, I'm lazy, I only want to deal with the drama I pick.

I don't have a Facebook. But if I did, I would be the same there as here.

I love Facebook - reconnects me with old friends from high school and college. But my friends are a mixed lot, and I don't flaunt my atheism there. I don't hid it, either, but I do not have work friends on my account (except one atheist work friend). I don't want work or ex knowing about my 'wild' atheist tendencies while in the bible belt, especially the 'dating' aspect, although I don't know if a date will come of this experience, I do hope 'real' friends do. So keep them separate. As others have said, I'm the same person both places, I just talk about different things. I also belong to a closed facebook group of atheist parents. We keep those discussions separate from regular facebook, as well. Because my existence pisses off some religious people, I just don't want the hassle and want to keep a bit of control over who knows that side of me and who just suspects. I like slamming the door of my closet to keep out nay sayers, and I love being 'out' to like-minded people.

I use them for totally different things. Facebook is for keeping in touch with friends and family I am cut off from at the moment. Plenty of discussion and argument there but more local to the UK. I see this site as a way of making new, more distant friends, and unloading some of my upsets and concerns without burdening friends and family who have enough to cope with already.

I signed up for this website due to a facebook ad bit I really like this better. I'm so tired of the political bullshit on facebook. Good job keeping this site clean so far.

I haven't added anyone from here on facebook, but I have a number of openly atheist/agnostic people on facebook already so it wouldn't rock the proverbial boat to add more

Lol, in a perfect world, social media would not exist, and we'd all just use webcams, phones, microphones, and instant messaging in one big internet, instead of this old and overused Facebook nonsense.

I only block my Facebook content to employers and political nutjobs that interpret everything as a threat, or a behavioral red flag, because I see humor in almost every kind of humor, so I don't mind some overlap, and I certainly don't mind people knowing what I think.

I have been very honest about my beliefs for maybe thirteen years, and I have become very, very good at deflecting the thought police on most occasions by holding them responsible for their coercive behavior.

They do not respect one's human right to speak one's mind and they have to understand the very reasonable limit of playing police with others-it's meant to gradually regulate externalizing behavior, it's not meant to make social authoritarianism stronger.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!