Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK A Non-Believer’s Road Trip Through God's Country

It was a trip ripe for Instagramming; it was a refreshing reminder of what is great about America, that we modern humans occupy only a few (dangerous) seconds on this planet’s billions of years of history, and that our national parks still need protecting.

But for me, this trip was also a surprise re-encountering of a day when I imbibed an evangelical zeal, a youthful faith that eventually vanished like a phantom. As I drove, religious billboards soared above my head. They shouted the in-your-face Bible passages, reminding me that evolution is a lie, or that Jesus loves me, but it’s a weird love, because (since I’m no longer a Christian) he is also sending me to hell.

zblaze 7 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah I live in Indiana. We see signs like you will burn for abortion.

When I tell people that I was more comfortable during the two years I spent in Morocco than the two years I spent in North Carolina (Western part near Asheville - I know the Wilmington area is totally different) they think I am kidding; I am not. Since we rented a two family house in Morocco from an Islamic family, I told them at the get go, that my maternal grandmother's family was Jewish and most were killed in the holocaust, I wanted to make sure that this was not an issue. The father told him son to tell me: I am circumcised and don't eat pork and does she have any other issues. We all laughed at that and they were really very nice to me. I was not pleased with the role of women, but that is another issue. In North Carolina "my own country" supposedly, they still fly the Dixie flag and still have bumper stickers that say: if your heart aint in Dixie, get your ass out. My youngest came home from school (yes a public school) and told me that they tried to "dunk " him again. (Baptize him) in a public school. When my husband, not particularly religious, wanted to go to midnight mass at a Catholic church, our local "Christians" told him he was an idol worshiper and (I worked on a newspaper there and covered a convention of various Christian ministers) the leader who was a spokesman for the Billy Graham crusade said, "Yes, it is sad but true. Only those who proclaim the name of Jesus can go to heaven." A minister, Lutheran, sitting next to me asked, "Are you saying that a Nazi who begs Jesus forgiveness at the moment of his death, can get into heaven, but a Jewish baby cannot? Are you saying that Gandhi could not get into heaven." The sickest thing: With tears in his eyes this minister said: Yes it was true. I LEFT. I could not believe THAT AMERICA and I still cannot.

Living in North Carolina and dealing with this on daily bases.

Wow! Thanks for the story Lavender.

I'm familiar with that part of the bible belt. So humoress that their moonshine is treated like gold. Nicest sheeple I have ever met. Damn some of them are sooo dumb..like a baby is dumb and that equals easy to train sheeple.

JUst saw this. George Carlin said that if there were a god, god would have to be a male because only a male could could make such a mess of things. A woman could never do it.

I once posted that while cycling through some beautiful country in Massachusetts, I commented on how beautiful it was, and my companion, an engineer, who worked for Raytheon and for whom I served as his best man at his wedding said, god's country! I replied, I don't see god. He replied, But he sees you! I didn't take the bait and cycled ahead. He is a victim of the evangelical air force , the evangelical Raytheon morons and his evangelical wife, who once told me god exists because ezekiel saw god in the clouds.

I always answer, "How do you know your god is a male??"

My father worked at the Raytheon in Newberry Park, California in the early '60s. He was designing and installing explosives in missle heads. My daughter's last air force base before she retired after serving 20 years was in South Carolina. She is a non believer. The armed forces are HIGHLY run by believers.

There easy to ignore now, but once they were ominous.

EdEarl Level 8 June 13, 2018

They're*

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.