Agnostic.com

43 9

Calling people?

Does anyone call and hope the person you are calling doesn’t pick up? Whenever I call I get an odd feeling and hope the person does not pick up

jab60 6 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is why they invented texting, ha ha!

This is me

Sometimes...but I am practicing, just not calling to begin with!

I have a weird dread about talking on the phone. I don't like answering when someone calls. It feels like such an intrusion. I hate small talk. I don't know where all that comes from. I feel a little silly admitting it. ?

Deinan Level 4 June 14, 2018

You're not alone!

I'm one of those terrible people who are heartily glad that texting came along, for this very reason. These days I can chicken out of having to have a conversation over the phone and send a text instead — and if not happy, it certainly makes me feel relieved to do so.

LOL! yes! Then when they call back I don't have to answer.

Yes! Particularly at work, I chant "don't pick up" while the phone is ringing.

Yes I have called the whitehouse.. but all I get is The President is currently in Mara Lago...???️‍♂️

Each and every time. Texting is awesome.

I like calling and don't worry if they answer or not. However, I detest texting when trying to have an actual conversation. Not because I'm old but because it rates right up there with "meet & greet". Blech!

I've never experienced this, so i ask respectfully, what is the purpose of a call if the caller doesn't want anyone to answer? Is it that the person calling really doesn't want to interact, calling out of obligation? Or is the caller afraid of something else?

I'd appreciate understanding. Thanks.

just a thought and not speaking for OP but it has crossed my mind that people better with thinking about words they use before typing vs speaking prefer text.

Text is kinda fun when a person has a way of tweaking grey matter in a way they can't convey in spoken word but dammit. I hate text convos because I can require a lot of words before I get my point across & don't feel like writing a college essay each convo.

No. If I phone someone, it's because I want to talk to them. If I don't want to, I don't phone them. I'd rather get whatever business it is done than pay phone tag with their voice mail.

Many times, I hope to get to speak to their answering machine and be done with it.

legna Level 4 June 13, 2018

Yes. And that's also a Seinfeld episode. 🙂

No. I only call the people I want to pick up.

Good grief THANK YOU.

I work on the phone, primarily, so I often hope for no answer. ?

It does feel like an intrusion, I am so grateful for texting. It is a standing rule that you text me first to see if am available. Most of the time I am but sometimes I just don't want to talk. Of course I never say that. I just say I will get back to you I am occupied. That way they don't feel rejected by me ignoring their call.

Vyn951 Level 4 June 14, 2018

The same as calling at a house and hoping they aren't in ?

I hate phone communication more than any form.

It really depends on the call. I'd usually rather talk than text, but there are some people I just don't want to talk to at all.

NO. /old school here.

Qualia Level 8 June 14, 2018

Sadly I do. I must try and work on that...........😕

Hahah! That’s why I just text!

Livia Level 6 June 13, 2018

Yes. Of course.

If my phone rings, it better be a god damn emergency.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.