Agnostic.com

29 7

What right does a religious person have to threaten a person that don’t believe how they do?

I usually don’t say anything to religious people because I would never dream of crushing their faith because the sad truth is, that is probably the only thing keeping them sane and makes them feel better. I respect what they believe, but as soon as they start coming at me with threats then I can turn into a little b****! I respect you, respect me. A religious woman picked an argument with because I didn’t want to go to her church and I finally broke my silence and started pointing out all the irrational things about what she believe and the next thing I knew, she was all crying and upset that I found fault in her belief. I didn’t want it to go that far, but enough was enough when she started threatening me and pointing her finger in my face. She said,” You’ll regret what you do when you stand before the Lord and you find yourself in Hell.”

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm! Well, I think that the best course of action when it comes to conversation with religious people is to avoid an argument where possible, However, if pressed or forced into defending yourself then you could always saying the following; I never argue, arguments are like opinions, expressions of ignorance. About the facts there can be no argument we can only discuss them. Now, do you have any facts that you would like to discuss........LOL

She saw me out in public and I was wearing the atheist necklace symbol and she’s a friend of the family and that’s how it started.

No one has the right to threaten religion on to someone else.The world would be peaceful without it. Religion promotes hate and is a form of
Psychological abuse. They are programmed to be that way to others.
They should worry about spreading love and kindness to others instead.

I agree!

I say: it is your god, your religion, your hell, it exists only in your mind and in your brain, it does not concern me in any way and has nothing to do with me in any way. Have a nice day.

I love your answer!

They have absolutely NO right, but they do it anyway because they can't help themselves. I think a lot of them know that it's all bullshit, but they're too afraid to admit it. They're too afraid to admit they were wrong, and they're too afraid that if they are wrong about being wrong, they'll suffer. They're just filled with a lot of fear. Fear makes people do stupid things.

They could also fear Heaven doesn’t exist, too. Cause that means they won’t get their happily ever after.

I also respect everyone's right to their own beliefs. I will defend anyone's right to his or her belief. i will also go off on anyone who refuses to respect my right to my own belief. It was wrong of her to threaten you. They claim that their god gave us free will, but they refuse to let us exercise that free will. Theists are always trying to convert people and force their beliefs onto others. Atheists and agnostics do not go around trying to convert anyone.

Exactly! They don’t see us knocking on their doors or trying to convert them to atheism. Half the time I can care less about their religious belief. I wear my Atheist symbol necklace while they wear their cross to represent Christ.

Well, according to her there is a hell. She needs to believe it exists because she believes in heaven, too, and hell is the place where bad people go. This woman has no right to judge anyone ever, nor does anyone else in the world. It serves only to make her feel better about herself and some of the things she has done in her life. After all, we are all sinners in their god's eyes, so most of them say.

to make her feel better = Inflate her ego. The most valuable thing I ever learned is the difference between myself and my ego. When trying to inflate my ego, I am actually working against myself.

Yeah! Thats a good question. I now understand why some people just shut the door in my face or just walked away. You know what kills me? When people say thank god thus shit didnt happen to me. SO IT WAS OK THAT GOD SCREWED THE OTHER GUY?

in my country they have right to kill u if they find out u are an atheist ... so be happy where u are .. cuz im in hell ... and there are so many like me ..

Sometimes people take it too far.

What a very Christian thing for her to say! I have zero respect for the opinions of others that have zero respect for mine. She’s too arrogant about her beliefs to give you the chance to think what you want. That’s typical of Christians.

Don't blame yourself. She brought it on herself. The fact that she was crying may indicate that you planted a seed. You done good.

If someone said that to me, I would laugh and Say.. "Never gonna happen. No way. no how" and walk away.

NONE...but they think they are the bearers of the truth....a concept induced by those who always knew how to manipulate the masses.

If they were rational would they be religious.

you got as much right as they have to defend yourself

I suspect these people also have doubts and they are looking to others to be a crutch and support their ideas. It might be interesting to try and say you feel she has a right to her beliefs just as you have a right to yours. If she doesn't push her ideas on you, you won't push yours on her.

Getting into arguments sometimes only exacerbate the problems so one needs to find a tactic that is non-offensive yet effective.

My late partner's daughter was always pushing her to go to her church. It always led to an argument. My partner finally realized this was more about her daughter's community not her faith so she agreed to go on one condition (our marriage was full of "one conditions" ). She would go but she would not hold her tongue. When others said merry christmass she would say happy holidays and other things. The daughter was happy.

None.

The Truth hurts. Her foundation was based on lies. You can separate for her that there is a God outside of made up religion. God existed before the Bible was written and if she seeks it, she will find it. The easy answer is God is always there and you are a part of God. You just need to connect with God.

They have no right to do that-shove their god down your throat. Tell her nothing and walk away.

Those type of people are delusional. Even when I still practiced Christianity I thought Missionaries were a Christian ego trip. The fact that they would try to condemn other people for believing in something different makes them the worst kind of people.

I remember asking a devout Christian a number of years ago about how they reconcile that a person who was raised to believe in their own Gods and traditions would go to Hell. She said that if they never heard the word of "God" then they wouldn't go to Hell. But if a Christian shared with them the word of Jesus and they rejected it- they would go to Hell." I said, "How does that make sense? People they were raised with and trust, and generations before them, have told this person the right way to believe and you are a stranger they have never met denounce what they believe and then tell them everything they ever have known was wrong-- and "somehow" they just don't change their complete belief system....then they are going to hell? She looked right at me and said..."Yes."

That's a delusional, narrow minded person...and you just can't fix the fanatically stupid.

LOL... In response to that lastline, I'd ask "What would god be doign in hell?"

i disagree that religion keeps peopel "sane", as I see it as beign delusional, so it is mor eof a tupe of mental illness. Religion provides structure and purpose for some people, even if the structure is at best just a facade.

I think your response was appropriate. Such persons shoudl be discouraged from trying to indoctrinate others. if their feelings get hurt because you present them with actual facts, that is nto your fault. Some children cry when they find out Satan Claus isn't real, but it is healthier for them to introduce them to reality.

I think you have to move beyond being affected by what religious people think and say. I'm not affected by their views because my mind is made up. They couldn't even come up to me and try it if they wanted to. I am also ok with not trying to change their minds either. When I talk about atheism publicly, I do it for the people who are questioning religion and trying to leave, not for those who believe it is true.

In younger days, I quit a couple of jobs because of aggressive, abusive religious fanatics. Telling them to back off and STFU did no good. Asking the bosses to intervene did no good. Going to HR did no good. So I up and quit, used up all my savings to pay bills while I job hunted. Terribly infuriating and degrading. This was back in 70's and early 80's. Today, there seems to be better public knowledge that preaching on the job is wrong. I also changed my phone number a few times because fanatics would make harassing calls. Very sick.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

If they have to force you to believe the way they do, then that's not "faith." Faith doesn't need to change others, it only needs to change us.

It is so frustrating! Don't you just want to say I don't believe in hell!?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10728
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.