Agnostic.com

15 0

Was the biblical flood just the end of the last ice age?

I've read a bit lately about a theory that the great flood was just a story about the end of the last ice age, and that most centres of civilisation were coastal. The result being that a lot of history was lost causing a break in our history that was filled in by religions and philosophers. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this theory holds much weight or not as i can't find very much information on it? Thanks

Andystu 4 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes it's just a story about ancient floods.....I would get into aspects of first person/third person narrative in writing but that i think that is a hopeless thing to approach in writing itself with non-artists.

Level 1 Jan 1, 2021

First, I recommend this book "The Memory Code" by Lynne Kelly. In it, she'll detail how massive amounts of information was remembered and passed down from generation to generation without writing.
Second, I'm going to direct you to the book "Man Made ET" by Rita Louise. In this book, she researched every creation myth out there and discovered how they're all the same story. But when it comes to the flood myth, she pretty much discovered that every culture has the same story, literally. That famed story of Noah's Ark, well the natives in Tierra De Fuego have the same story as the Jews in the Bible, so I don't buy that it's a myth from the middle east. And it's sad that many of the comments below regurgitate this nonsense.
And finally, I'm going to direct you to "Magicians of the Gods" by Graham Hancock. And before you pick up his book, please watch the debate on Joe Rogan Experience #961.

Thank you so much sirbikesalot, a heap of great references to look through, awesome!

I have read that during the last ice age, the Mediterranean and Red Seas were dry, but as the ice melted and sea levels rose, the water spilled in. This all happened before written language, so stories got passed down for several thousand years by word of mouth, so of course the story changed over time,

This was likely a time before even the wheel. Most people never traveled that far from home, so when the seas filled, it seemed, to them, like the whole world flooded. Certainly it was all the world that they knew of at the time.

So, imagine the retelling of the story and part beign forgotten, and children asking questions, and adults wanting toi appear they know the answering making stuff up to fill in the forgotten (or never known) gaps in the story. You can see how the story could evolve over time into the biblical story finally writtten down some thousands of years and hundreds of generations later. The irony beign that it ws written down so the story would not be forgotten, when it already had been ... mostly.

No clue sorry.

Short answer, no. Slightly longer, Hell no, and absurdly so.

Does the US government create thunderclouds to cover the sounds of space battles?

I think the Bible is as a whole just a bunch of invalid crap so such a question in my mind is ridiculous.

There are a few possible scenarios in the distant past that could be a foundation for the myth, but that does in no way relieve the biblical Noah story of being a total fiction. If one digs deep enough, one can find roots in history for many of the epic stories. Writers get their ideas from all sorts of places and there is no reason to think that writers of old did any differently.

no, probably never happened and probably drawn from a previous story handed down and regurgitated.

probably just a localised flood.

Several cultures have similar flood stories. From India to China to central and South America to Europe and the Middle East. The bible just put their own spin on it.

Sea level rose greatly and suddenly at the end of the last glacial-interglacial transition (7,600 years ago) due to melting ice sheets. One way we know this is by measuring and dating the organic-rich mud (sapropels) that accumulate when fresh water is flooded into a body of salt water. It's likely the story was rooted on the sudden flooding of the Black Sea from the Mediterranean Sea.

Marz Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

I saw a documentary on the flood on the Sci channel. The two theories posted were a massive landslide triggered by a volcano created a devastating wave that wiped out civilizations along the Mediterranean. The second hypothesis was a glacial ice dam, remaining after the end of the glacial period gave way, and had gave way...creating the Suez Canal.

More likely a cultural memory of the flooding of the Black Sea.

Certainly during an iceage a lot of the earth's water would have been trapped up in glacial ice caps. And that would lower sea levels. As the earth moves out of an ice age and the glacial ice melts, global sea levels would rise again. Coastal settlements would have flooded and been lost underwater.
But that would have been a gradual process, not a sudden flood. The biblical story, and other flood stories from ancient cultures all over the world, speak of a more sudden inundation and prolonged rain. Further, the legends speak of the entire earth being flooded. Not just a coastal area, or even a large region, but the entire planet.
I wonder if anyone can answer this question, if all the water on the planet was converted to liquid water, would it even be possible for all land masses to be inundated?

There have been a number of major floods which could have been the basis for the biblical flood story. Several were due to the failure of ice dams at the end of an ice age. Another was due to the Mediterranean Sea breaking through the Straits of Bosporos to inundate much of what is now the Middle East.. It is likely that the biblical flood story was the latter..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.