Agnostic.com

15 0

Is there a possible path to peace between religion and science, or must it be a battle to the death?

skado 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Science is the winner because Scientists invent things to mostly improve people's lives while religious leaders take $ and spend it on fancy things the Scientists invent.

The two systems are, at their core, antithetical. Religion has been forced to continuously adapt, reinventing its narrative in order to accommodate scientific understanding. Consider how many so-called truths, once explained by religion, which science has rewritten. And while there may be room in the mind of the religionist for scientific facts, there exists no place in science for religious faith, dogma or doctrine. I have come to the same conclusion arrived at by the 19th Century's "Great Agnostic," Robert Green Ingersoll, who noted:
"There is an 'irrepressible conflict' between religion and science, and they cannot peaceably occupy the same brain nor the same world."
“There is no harmony between religion and science. When science was a child, religion sought to strangle it in the cradle. Now that science has attained its youth, and superstition is in its dotage, the trembling palsied wreck says to the athlete: 'Let us be friends.' It reminds me of the bargain the cock wished to make with the horse: 'Let us agree not to step on each other’s feet.'"
"To really reform the church is to destroy it. Every new religion has a little less superstition than the old, so that the religion of Science is but a question of time."

praying is meditation which seems to be good for you and belonging to a group is also beneficial . probably singing in a group is a positive thing too. So long as they are tolerant and peaceful, go for it.

There are those who accept/believe science can offer explanations for religion. And the two are one in the same. To separate the two would be like separating wet from water.

I guess I don't mean 'will it ever happen' so much as 'is there a conceivable, rational, philosophical path, regardless of the relative likehood of it ever being adopted. Clear as mud?

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

religion - or perhaps more accurately, faith - is that which we do not know. Consider. Early man heard thunder and saw lighting - but did not understand it. it became 'the gods are angry". We learned later what thunder and lightning were - science. We didn't understand space - oh.. thats where god lives. Now we know (or have a really good idea) whats up there. Lets talk small.. we didn't understand what made us sick.. its gods will. now we can see at the subatomic level, manipulate genes, etc. science again.

I don't think it will be a battle to the death but I'm sure it will be a struggle. It will also take time, lots of time, so not in mine or my grandkids' lifetime.

Most religions have no problem with science, and science certainly has no problem with religion. We've had the rise of a powerful anti-science religious movement in the US the past few decade, but that's as much due to politics as religion. And by no means the norm.

Science has progressed since the inception of religion. It will probably continue. I can imagine a path to peace between religion and science; however, there will always be those who prefer a battle to the death.

How can you reason with a person that believes that there is a man in the sky sitting on a comfy recliner, surrounded by angels playing harp, watching our every move and taking notes? Nah I do not see it happening.

There are other religions and broader views of Christianity than the one you describe. That's like the lowest common denominator. With them, nah, I can't see it either.

The only means that I can see as it is with any relationship...is compromise.

Proven science, is not up for negotiation. Scientific theory is.

Religion is all mythology that is perhaps based on actual events and stretched out of proportion, and perhaps the basis for a metaphorical meaning and theory. The compromise would be for the religious to accept it and project it as such.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Donna Level 6 Dec 27, 2017

I find it fascinating that there are some religious people who see no conflict between science and religion-Lord Robert Winston for example believes scientific discoveries are made as God wants us to discover more about ourselves and the Universe,if more religious people thought this way perhaps there would be less conflict. I've come to the conclusion that any beliefs we hold are closely allied to our own perceived identity which is why some people see questioning of their beliefs as a personal attack on them (or at least their perceived identity) and will therefore fight,die and even kill for those beliefs.Of course beliefs are shaped by those around us and as a social animal, our need to "fit in" or at least be accepted for who we are.

stu8 Level 4 Dec 27, 2017

there are astronauts that believe in the supernatural. How is that possible ? But it happens

I understand this more, they are a select small band of people who have experienced first hand the true awesomeness of the universe, I think that can be overwhelming and therefore can inspire religious beliefs, this is merely supposition of course as I have not experienced deep space myself, I have experienced sensations of deep joy, that If I was more spiritually inclined I may have attributed to the prescence of God -and of course it depends on how you define God-I do not believe in a supernatural being that takes (for some reason known only to its self a personal interest in me)- although I do understand how some people find this comforting and need this support, but if you told me a definition of God is everything around us such as the Universe, atoms etc. then I might think "You maybe right but there's more important things to worry about such as how we treat our fellow human beings"- possiblely this is the position of theese astronauts-again this is supositition on my part as I have never met or talked with an astronaut, but I think in my own self delude way that it's feasable logically.

If religious people can find their way to questioning their beliefs to then become atheist as many on this site have then there is hope that there won't be an ensuing battle but a huge sigh of relief.

SamL Level 7 Dec 27, 2017

Battle to the death.

Only when religion accepts evolution, and only when science accepts that there's more to the universe than protons, neutrons and electrons.

@FortyTwo?.??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.