Agnostic.com

56 12

Aliens: Are we alone?

Astrophysicists disagree on this.

Stephen Hawking stated "I am more convinced than ever that we are not alone." Then warned us to stop looking for them before it's too late.

Neil Degrasse Tyson has gone on record to say that he doesn't believe there is intelligent life form (arms, legs etc) beyond our planet (although he has vacillated on this), and now says we are at least 50 years away from making contact with them.

Physicist Brian Cox thinks we won’t hear from intelligent aliens anytime soon (if ever) because life forms at that level tend to out-engineer themselves into extinction; destroying themselves by creating more technologies than they have the social and political expertise to manage (does that sound familiar?)

What are your thoughts? Do you think aliens exist? That they walk among us (insert joke here). Do you care?

Athena 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Going to sit on the fence with this one:

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

My views align with the consensus:

-Nearly certain there is life elsewhere in the universe. Some of it will meet the definition of intelligence.

-Not sure we will have contact with them given the distances involved, communication time lag etc. Unless they've got a technology that allows them to overcome that. We aren't there yet.

-If there is a life form out there and it evolved like us, the prospects for peace wouldn't be good. And if they are more advanced than us, our prospects aren't good.

In reply to a couple of other comments here...

The idea that since "life is so diverse and exists in such a diverse range of environments, therefore it is likely life also exists elsewhere in the universe" is a tempting one, and one which convinced me for many years that, in some shape or form, it probably does exist.

However, we need to bear in mind that all that life, from single-celled bacteria to all the plants, fungus and animals that inhabit this world, began - so far as we know - in Darwin's "warm little pond" (which might not have been a warm little pond at all, but the term serves as useful shorthand for the place and point at which life first came into being). While the building blocks of life are relatively common in those parts of the universe we have observed, it may be that the conditions required for life to start are so very exact and occur seldomly enough even in a universe containing perhaps trillions upon trillions of planets and moons that even the most basic forms of life are extremely rare indeed. Add to this the chance that it might be very unusual for a planet to continue in a state that can support life for as long as the Earth has done: it may be the case that even if life does get started, it doesn't often get the chance to progress from single-celled organisms in the warm little pond.

Personally, I think there probably is some form of life out there somewhere - and I hope so, because I'd like to see the alien raccoons @veRONicaMeowe mentions! However, I don't think it's arrogant to suppose that our planet is the only one with life: it may simply be the way it is.

Jnei Level 8 June 19, 2018

Of course, if we consider very exotic forms of life - eg. non-carbon-based or even, just to really push the envelope, non-baryonic - life could be just about everywhere beyond Earth.

Scientists seem to be going back and forth about the "habitable zone" where they think life is possible within range of a star. Given the size of the universe, it seems there would be at least a few planets scattered here and there that had conditions that would allow early life.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the early life would ever evolve to something like a person - throughout the universe we may be unique and all other life is nothing more than something similar to bacteria or even viruses (if you consider viruses alive). Currently, there's no way to know and there may never be

Personally, our first contact would be AI or robotic in nature - we send out probes to explore. Why wouldn’t other sentient beings?

Our planet is overfilled with different kinds of critters. It seems improbable that out planed is the only one with life. Whether we will ever meet those raccoons from another world is a different story. I appreciate the show Ancient Aliens but I'm more inclined to think that our planet had a culture more advanced than we are today, in the distant past.

If we consider the number of stars with planetary systems, and the number of galaxies, then it is safe to assume that life exists elsewhere. That said, for all the conditions required for a planet to sustain life long enough for intelligent beings to evolve that are capable of space travel, then the odds diminish exponentially; if such beings exist, I doubt they could reach us easily, unless they can distort space-time such that they can travel great distances in a short time (like, before they die).

So, no - I don't believe that we have been visited. Besides, we really aren't all that intelligent ourselves, we're just a bunch of stupid monkeys with guns - any life form intelligent enough to get here is probably smart enough to stay away 😉

There must be life elsewhere but... Light travels at 186,282 miles per SECOND and light takes 5.5 HOURS to reach Pluto from our sun... If there is intelligent life out there, it's unlikely that we'd ever cross paths. A needle in a haystack doesn't even begin to compare.

It doesn't help that Earth is located on one of the outer arms of our spiral galaxy. If other intelligences were looking for life, they'd probably concentrate the search toward the galactic core where there's simply more stars, and thereby more planets, to increase their odds of finding something - it's simply more efficient than searching the isolated edges of the galaxy where there's greater distances between stars

I think they know better to contact us.

Coldo Level 8 June 19, 2018

Germs and stuff like that definitely out there somewhere animals or fish like stuff highly likely . Intelligent beings not seen any on earth yet but I hope there's some out there whether it can travel space well there's no evidence yet

Simon1 Level 7 June 19, 2018

Only evidence, facts and data can possibly answer the question of alien life as well as the reality of anything else.

Yep...same as god(s)...

No most likely not alone... But the vast oceans of space.. Means that contact (if any of them are intelligent) would be highly unlikely. We will probably never know.

There's no reason to think there isn't. The building blocks of life here on earth are pretty common in the universe. As interplanetary travel and study increases, we may find life on other planets in our own solar system (or not). That discovery will give us a better sense of the probability of life elsewhere.

Wouldn't it be fascinating if life was a common thing?

God, gods, alien, aliens... odds are about the same. PROOF, NOT PROBABILITY CALCULATIONS... PROOF.

There has to be other planets with more intelligent lives on them . hopefully more peaceful than this planet .. I think i heard trump saying something about the need of space forces for this matter ?
Or maybe they have oil

Nader Level 6 June 19, 2018

Yes! We are not the only beings... omg... I hope we are not alone. I am looking for a new planet where being kind is in style!

Keep searching and let me know when you find it please ?

After reading about Fermi's Paradox and The Great Filter, I think the only correct answer to this question is, "I don't know."

Its possible how can there be such a mass of space out there and us being the only one. I joke about them coming here on April 1st and say April fools we planted religion in you different ones around the world and told you we were gods and thought you would have got inteligent enought to realize we pulled a practical joke on you.

Oh yeah.... just not around here. Maybe in another dimension hiding away. They would be so powerful that they wouldnt mess with us.

Life seems likely, it being like us doesn’t. We evolved here, molded by the forces of our environment. The octopus may be smarter than us but not going to have pizza with one. They are intelligent, evolved here and are very different than us... how much diffrent would life from across the vast expanse of space be? ?

I’ll pass.

We would have to be unutterably arrogant to believe we are 'alone'.

I have no real proof, but l'm convinced my ex wife, a B3 player we had in the band, and my first grade teacher were all aliens. I can't come up with a better explanation for the behavior of those three people.

I'm beginning to think we are the aliens..

Am i in the same website that rejects a greater diety without evidence? I just read countless posts in relating that alien life does exist - without evidence??? There is more evidence thst Santa Claus exists on THIS planet - well, does he???

@Athena i applaud you! You are voice of why i joined this site!!! Thank you!!! There is far more evidence for Santa Claus than lifeforms outside this plant!!! Until ET showes up to Facebook home, I'll remain skeptically agnostic about this matter! It has become a social Münchhausen trilemma: "Hey Dr. De Gross is it possible that life exists outside our plant?" "Sure, it's possible..." "Oh, Neil deGross thinks there's possiblely life outside this planet, therefore -" no no no folks, take tin foil hat off - put skeptic hat on, enjoy the world free of free thought without conclusive thinking...

@Athena or virtual lack of evidence in its entirety! Hubris is the correct word!

The difference here is that we do not worship the supposed aliens, and are just curious about them.

I think it unlucky that we're alone just because it's a fairly large universe to only have us. As to whether we'll ever make contact....who knows, there could be millions of other life forms and we'd still be millions of light years apart. And I don't think the vast majority of people are ready for first contact just yet 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 June 21, 2018

Neil deGrasse Tyson speaks about panspermia, the theory that terrestrial life originates from elsewhere, on a number of platforms, but it seems like there's a persistent expectation that we should be looking to the skies for flying saucers delivering hominids as if they were Dominos. Turns out many forms are already here, sans death rays and other technology to have us sheltering in place. Octopuses have DNA that may be of extraterrestrial origin (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/octopus-dna-origins/) and then there's my favorite - the tardigrade, that doesn't seem to have any known origin and is very much in line with the notion of panspermia. So yeah, why shouldn't other planets have life?

@TheMiddleWay Thank you. Saved me having to type it. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.