Agnostic.com

10 1

Are these true about philosophy?

1. Is a given philosophy necessarily true or false, under a single, strict interpretation, or is philosophy meant to be a personalized companion that people just take around with them? Why or why not?

2. Is philosophy necessarily mathematical? Why or why not?

I just got the complete works of Aristotle, and these questions popped into my head.

DZhukovin 7 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If a given philosophy is necessarily true that means all others not aligned are false. A philosophy is a belief system which to me is personal to the individual. Utilitarianism is a philosophy. If you're part of the greater good it's true. If you're not, it's not so good. So I do not believe that any particular philosophy is necessarily true. Some are definitely false, like religious philosophy,since it's based on a false premise.

Not sure where the math comes in. The Golden Rule is a philosophy that has nothing to do with math.

lerlo Level 8 June 22, 2018

Philosophy started out as a way to explain the world.

Keep reading. After Aristotle try Plato. Aristotle was a student of Plato.

Every philosophy starts out or is premised on some basic assumptions. Those assumptions may be empirically true, empirically false, or unprovable. The accurate interpretation of a philosophy is that which its creator(s) intended. An accurate analysis of a philosophy is based on analysis of the basic underlying assumptions, empirical analysis of purported statement of fact, and examination of the philosophy's internal logic. It may be possible to base a philosophy on math, but most are not,so based.

You can write PhD level dissertations based on the first question so I would dare not try to address it here.
As for the 2nd one, I would make a claim that mathematics has the ability to explain everything we know of ergo philosophy can fall into it.

Logic is deterministic and axiomatic mathematics is often used as a basis for logic.

Uncertainty is probabilistic and you can also invoke chaos theory there.
Unknown systems can be modeled pretty well mathematically if you have enough data and a form of model which fits the data. That's how the scientific method work.

I hope that was of some help.

pbose Level 4 June 21, 2018

Need more FP and ATN to use chaos theory with expertise, though

@DZhukovin: what's atn? I presume fp means free parameters. I haven't dabbled in non linear dynamics for 6 years so my acronyms are rusty.

@pbose

It's attunement, and then FP is actually focus points, hehe. I was memeing.

Nothing empirical is necessarily true or false, everything empirical is necessarily contingent.

Philosophy is the love of wisdom literally.

Philosophy is not necessarily mathematical, in so far as it concerns our being in the world, mathematics is different in kind from nature.

cava Level 7 June 21, 2018

Aristotle - the 1st to believe in an infinite Universe.

gater Level 7 June 21, 2018

Sources?

@DZhukovin I read he believed that, if he was the 1st I can't say with certainty.

@gater Hmm

@DZhukovin lol hmmm what?

@DZhukovin [piratesandrevolutionaries.blogspot.com]
Aristotle argues space is continuous, like numbers, infinite

@gater

Yes that is correct, space is necessarily continuous because it's defined that way.

Yes and no to both. No one size fits all. LLOL

That's what she said

I just take it around with me subconsciously in my brain?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.