Agnostic.com

46 55

Ok, another couple weeks and another list of improvements (hopefully) to the site. Here goes:

• We are slowly sending out our first email of “new member matches” for those interested in dating and “interesting new posts” for those here more for community. By default, these will be sent not more than once per week and you can change the frequency or turn them off in your account settings page. Happy to get your feedback on them as we will change the algorithm over time to make it more predictive.

• Sped up most pages by about 2x after we tripled signups with some advertising on a few religious website.

• You can search comments of posts as well as posts.

• Improved the list of "similar questions" that appear on the right of each post. It now tries to show questions that are both similar and recent (hard tradeoffs).

• Made it easier for our trans members to find others and be found in search.

• When you cut/paste Youtube links, they should now be able to play without clicking to youtube.

• You can now see a list of people you’ve blocked in your account page. You can also unblock them (before, you couldn’t find them). We also fixed some bugs so it should work better now.

• We implemented a few formatting options using a pared-down version of a markup language called Markdown. Hopefully, we can eventually upgrade the post editor to be more intuitive (e.g., WYSIWYG). Below is the result of some formatting (see photo for how it was done) and [daringfireball.net] for more information. We are only supporting a few of the basics:

#Headers:

H1

H2

H3

#Bulleted lists:

• Candy.
  • Gum.
  • Booze.

make italics with single asterisks

make bold with double asterisks

make courier font with back ticks

#Make a horizontal line using 3 or more asterisk

#Basic tables:

Each Cell Per
Still renders nicely
1 2 3

Again, we want to thank you all for being patient as we improve and stabilize the website. We are also working hard on the iPhone and Android apps and are working on final bug testing now. Best wishes to you all in 2018!

Admin 9 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sound like good stuff I will have to try them. One I don't understand is the You Tube thing they have always played for me without clicking on the You Tube.

Oh, the new "feature" is that you can watch the youtube video without leaving the website (before it was just a link to go to youTube).

maybe a Chrome thing?

@Admin Ah I was surprised the other day when putting a music vid on my page that it wasn't just a url but is right there. Kudos, even FB has managed to mess up the video interface with youtube & videos.

Very cool, @Admin. Significant enhancements. Thanks so much for all the time and effort you put in making continual improvements to the site.

Thanks. Grateful. I feel blessed - oh, wait.................

lol

I'm enjoying watching this whole process, the whole site layout on its own feels like a good fit for me.

Cwen Level 4 Dec 29, 2017

fantastic

New member matches based upon what criteria?

Awesome! Thank you!

You're a lot nicer than everyone says you are...

X-D

Thanks for all your hard work!

You have one of the most committed dev teams I've seen and I've been on a few of them. Keep up the good work.

Before, I didn't know how people were doing italics and bold. Thanks.

Cool!! I've checked to see if there was an app for android. It might be a good thing that there isn't, and when there is I shouldn't use it. This is one distraction I don't need at work. Really.

lol

Thank you for giving up so much of your life in order to keep these fixes and additions coming so quickly. The site is awesome and just keeps getting better and better! Happy 2018!

Lauren Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

Good stuff! I'm happy to be a part of this community and look forward to seeing it grow.

step by step bit by bit Thanks

Thanx like the matches idea.

You rock!

Duke Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

Great. Look forward to the apps. May the Force be with you.

Wow! You have been busy. Hope you have great plans for New Year's Eve, you deserve a break. Have fun and HAPPY NEW YEAR. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

My head is spinning!

Great! I can't wait to see the results of it all. Thanks for taking the time to do this and making this site something worth spending time on every day.

Your hard work and dedication is very much appreciated! Keep up the good work and wishing you all the best in 2018. (And I find it hilarious that you've been recruiting new members on religious sites!)

dkp93 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

"Why rob banks?" "That's where the money is"

I have a 2nd level request. When I edit a comment then preview it, if I go back to edit from the preview it goes back to the posted text. The only way I can keep my edits is to copy everything to the clipboard before I preview.

I have to say though, if that's my biggest complaint, this is an extremely well done package. The look and feel are outstanding and I have yet to come across any bugs. Thank you muchly and thank the other patrons here.

Thanks for the heads up - we are working on it now and hope to have a fix live in the next hour or so.

Thank you again. I expected this to maybe be added to a wishlist queue, not acted on immediately -- wow.

Thank for the constant tweaks !

Though I will hope we can opt out of emails of matches, I'd rather see them when I visit.

I think this site will become a formidable contender among social sites - there are many out there that will appreciate it !

Yes, you can "opt out" on the settings page (gear icon => settings)

@Admin I should have known ... Thank you !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11267
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.