Agnostic.com

13 0

Is the Old Testament still applicable?

With all the ridiculous rules and laws laid out in the Old Testament, many Christians claim that it no longer applies in order to skirt around some of the more silly ones such as eating shellfish and wearing clothing of mixed fabrics.

On the other hand, I often see biblical verses that seem to suggest that the Old Testament should still be very much in effect.

What do you all think, and why?

• 4 votes
  • 7 votes
KevinD872 5 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neither are applicable. It's all just fiction.

it is skewed history... sometimes. But I may try to use in court to fight a traffic ticket... laying ground that I still drive according to the Old Testament.

@Diarmaede Its cool jesus can take the wheel hahahahaha

And to be clear, I think it's all BS too. But if Christians argue that the Bible is fact, then it seems to me that the Old vs. New argument is a clear cut case of cherry picking.

Need a 3rd choice.

I was tempted to add "It's all BS" but I'm genuinely curious how others view it based on what we've heard or read ourselves.

@KevinD872 I can understand that. I've worded soem posts and polls more to find out what others thought, than to reflect my own views... at least too strongly.

I believe jeebus said he came to reinforce the old testament, not redefine it. [bethinking.org].

Mathew 5:16-18 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.… their book not mine

I don't agree with either choice. Neither was ever really applicable. That should be the third choice.

Me three

If you are a believer I think the new testament replaces the old, JC said something along those lines I think. Round haircuts and mixing cloth I don't get, the idea re seafood and other meats are probable like the health warnings on our food. Absolutely none of either testament is relevant to me.

Neither should apply. Although there are some words of wisdom to be found, the Bible is replete with immoral behavior either performed, or sanctioned, by its god. As far as those who "follow" the Bible, they are very good at picking out what they like and ignoring that which makes them uncomfortable. And, the reason why you find conflicting verses is because the Bible does not have a single voice; but, rather, many competing ones--thus showing it cannot be "the word" of any god.

I’ve had fairly short conversations with Christians where they will say that the Ten Commandments are the basis of our democracy and then when something else comes up they will argue that, (whatever) is in the Old Testament and Jesus fulfilled the old law so we’re not under its rules. Slippery little devils!

gearl Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

I can't speak for the whole group (and I'm not trying to) but, I seriously doubt that anyone here thinks either testament is a serious contender for life and how we should live it.

Duke Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

I should have clarified it in the original post but the point of this exercise was to see what people's opinions were on whether or not Christians are justified on trying to claim the NT replaced the OT, as they so often claim when they acknowledge that the OT rules are asinine and unjustifiable at all.

I just can't. I can't even. No. I can't. Don't be an idiot.

@KevinD872 I don't really think you're an idiot for asking this. It's just a nonsensical question to ask if we think that something really stupid makes something else seem even more stupid.

The Old Testament, like all skydaddy canonical texts, was NEVER applicable. Therefore the question is invalid as it assumes a fact not in evidence.

The jesus guy said that it still applies, so....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11325
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.