Agnostic.com

20 7

Do you edit?

Does anyone else edit their own posts or comments multiple times?

Sometimes, when I encounter an old post or comment of mine that I wrote months ago, I still feel compelled to reread it and edit it.

I wonder if this fits somewhere on the obsessive compulsive disorder continuum.

Ellatynemouth 8 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course I edit my writing for spelling, grammar, punctuation and clarity. Clear communication is important.

Online dating is a written, visual medium. Correct spelling and grammar are important. It shows you care about details and have some intelligence and education.

^^^^^ That is so me 🙂

Yes but only to correct spalling and gran-mar 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 June 23, 2018

Yes I do as well. Typos new thoughts incorrect or better wording etc.

I certainly do on a regular basis, correcting typos, adding new thoughts and modifying old thoughts. I don't understand why anyone would reread their post and NOT at least correct typos.

I edit when I notice something wrong, and then I generally let it go.

I don't change content but I do obsessively correct spelling, grammar and punctuation (to my limited ability) when I first put things up. I fight the autocorrect on various devices constantly. Ha, ha.
If I decide to change content I go ahead and announce it. I figure mind changing should be allowed.

RichCC Level 8 June 23, 2018

I geek out on editing - not just the grammar and format, also the intent. Nothing is ever in final form for me. I used to think this made me a flakey perfectionist, but came to realize it's not really about perfection for me - it's about expression. My views change daily based on my emotional state, my experiences, what I learn, and 100 other things. If I'm learning something every day, I'm evolving. If I'm evolving, so should my words, my art, my relationships, my politics, my spirituality, and every aspect of my life. So editing is one way (but not the only way) I make my words reflect who I am at this moment.

You write well. I need to learn...

@Ellatynemouth or maybe just a great editor 😉
You write well too!

Yes. Whenever I notice a mistake, I do edit...I want to be the best version of dick that I am, at all times.

Sometimes I edit, but it's usually just to fix Grammar, spelling or to add stuff or delete stuff that is too confusing or long

@Donotbelieve Oops! Lol! Fixed it.

Mostly for spelling and grammatical errors. But once in awhile I'll look at something I wrote and ask myself if I really can't possibly phrase that a bit better.

I wish I could go back and edit real-life conversations... Like when I think of the perfect line or perfect comeback but not until a day or two after.

Occasionally. Sometimes it is a grammatical error l missed, and sometimes right after l reply l think of something else l want to add. Sometimes as soon as l hit Submit l cancel becuase l don't feel comfortable with something l said.

I wish I cancelled more things than I do. Lol

@Ellatynemouth Sometimes you get pretty frisky. ?

@Sticks48

?

I do it all the time. Mostly it is because my "fangers" have a different vocabulary than my brain does. Go figure! That plus autocorrect figures in on my cell phone.

Yes

EdEarl Level 8 June 23, 2018

I edit to fix punctuation and grammar. I often change things as I post which can leave hanging prepositions, mismatched verb endings or whatever that I don't notice until too late. Generally I only do this immediately after I've posted. Otherwise I will include an [Edit] and description of the change, otherwise it's not fair on someone who may have replied or 'liked' the original post.
But old posts? No - they are part of the historical record by then.
[Edit] Typo. Wouldn't you just know it?

Gareth Level 7 June 23, 2018

Of course. 🙂

Betty Level 8 June 23, 2018

I try to present myself with some polish. Sometimes I'm forced to reopen a post. Mostly it's a "that'll do" type of situation. A lot of times I sacrifice clarity for brevity and worry later if I get misunderstood. I've looked into haiku to sharpen my skills.

What's haiku?

@Ellatynemouth Japanese form of poetry. It has a 5-7-5 syllable structure. It trains one to evoke meaning or visuals as briefly as possible.

@Hicks66

Thank you. I'll look into that.

@Donotbelieve You threaten my humility but made my day. Truth be told you're one of the reasons I'm still here.

I read my own comments after posting to make sure I didn’t miss any errors. After people have replied I leave them alone, even if I then find a mistake. I do this to avoid confusion that can happen if the replies are to the OP and not the updated one.

Katrik Level 7 June 23, 2018

No its not obsessive compulsive disorder for Pete's fucking sake. It's fucking called EDITING. Jeez EVERYone wants a disorder nowadays.

I edit mistakes. Sometimes I don't read it before posting, so misspellings and other common mistakes are there. Usually I see them the second after I submit the post. But, hours or days later? No, never corrected such a thing. How is it you are even seeing such an old post?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.