Agnostic.com

17 1

Dating Religion Opinions

How much does religion matter in looking for a dating partner?

• 12 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 0 votes
Keita 5 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I voted for debate our differences, but I really prefer someone who's not a believer in any religion. Some spirituality I could live with; I'd love to be wrong about the whole no afterlife thing but astrology is too out there.

I only date Atheists. I'm not arguing over the exisitance of the Santa Claus for the rest of my marriage.

It would be a bad idea for me to ever date another believer. I think blind belief is illogical and I don’t see the point in dating someone whom I cannot respect.

LB67 Level 7 June 28, 2018

Who out there is happily married to a theist?

Keita Level 5 June 27, 2018

Belief in religion is for me a sign of an inability to engage in critical thinking. I could never respect someone who can't engage in critical thinking. I could never date someone I don't respect. Ergo, I could never date someone who believes in any religion.

It really doesn’t matter if the person I’m goin to date is a theist or an atheist, but the point arises is if i am not interfering in her beliefs or her religion she should do the same coz in the end it only matters the company of a good person.

Honestly, it's fine for me if a person is theist, but only if they are tolerant of my beliefs and don't brainwash me into their fairy tales. Otherwise a big no

My best friend is a conservative atheist, he married a liberal social Catholic (I performed the ceremony) They do great, but she doesn't believe in hell or sin so I'm not sure why she claims to be Catholic.

I'd date someone like my buddy's wife or probably a Buddhist.

Even dating someone recently religious was difficult bc she was still tied to the concept of the man being the head of the household.

I could tolerate Buddhists.

My grandfather was a Methodist minister. He was also a student of religions. His love for religion was passed down to me. I love to study them. I want to know what people believe and . So i do not mind dating someone of a different tan be. That being said, I do not not want to date someone who is going to push their down my throat and try to force me live by their beliefs.

Politics is a much bigger issue for me. Somebody that is a Republican, I wouldn't even consider, to me, today, Republican means either hate or ignorance.

I agree.

I'm sorry you feel that way. America is definitely having a crisis of conscience.

@Keita

I think it would be more accurate to say parts of America are experiencing a crisis of conscience. A big chunk is not.

@Keita so many people on this site say they would never date a religious person. What's the big deal about politics?

@Kojaksmom honestly, I think religious affiliations and political ones are much the same, at least socially. Say you're a Republican and your Dating a Democrat, if you're religions differ in how you treat others, how would your political opinions really be that much different? Homosexual marriage, gender equality standards, the right to refuse services, abortions, gentrification... You can easily blur the lines of politics and religion this way.

Political ideologies argue much the same way religious arguments go too. Try a R vs D argument and a Muslim Vs Athiest one and tell me what argument tactics are used. They're scary similar in that anyone reading this can already have ALL of those arguements in your head and may have already done so before finishing this sentence.

Of course, in the end, opposites may attract, or you may look past those differences. Or not. Everyone is different.

@Kojaksmom, @Ellatynemouth I meant as a country.

Religion does not bother me nearly as much as politics.

I don't care if someone is nominally "Christian" as long as they don't really believe it, but I prefer an agnostic.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve so here is some information that might be helpful for dating here.

New members are encouraged to earn website points, and help other members get to know them better, by posting a clear, recent of themselves, writing an informational profile that includes their hobbies and interests, and answering all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses profiles to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Then people make comments and write their own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two someone can private email people. There are different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Levels are mostly a way to help identify and reward those who contribute to the growth of the community. The website also gives more access and benefits depending on level.://agnostic.com/levels.php

Perks for each level: [agnostic.com]

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

I think a relationship or even a friendship would be terribly boring if we both agreed on all points! I believe that every person we meet helps us to grow and understand ourselves a little bit more than before we met. I love the saying "question everything and completely accept nothing"

Being confused and questioning it is acceptable to an extent because it at least signifies that one doesn't blindly accept what's thrown their way or rather shoved down their throat by the religious. Atheists are more than welcome.

I have dated religious people in the past, but I know it won't work for long term.

I always end up saying the exactly wrong thing at the absolutely perfect time to end it. I have actually witnessed the wince.

Exactly my thoughts!

I dated a Jewish girl for a couple of years. We never had any religious arguments. It was a miracle. ?

I strongly prefer atheists/agnostics because I firmly believe that there is no god and operate on logic/reason/evidence. I don’t want to have to tiptoe around some else’s beliefs, that I find ridiculous, in a long-term relationship.

I find 2 way condescending commenting is a relationship bane. Marathon watching AronRa disproving the biblical flood or explaining evolution in a 20+ part series does NOT go over well with believers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:114295
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.