Agnostic.com

36 1

Are you 100% certain that there is no god?

So I just signed up on here and as I was filling out my profile, It asks "to what percent are you certain that there are no gods" to which I (as an atheist) initially thought 100%. However, I answered 99.9 because I feel that to be so unconditionally sure about something can only really come from faith based reasoning. So I feel the need to leave a tiny bit of wiggle room because I am a logical thinker and will also feel some level of skepticism. What do the rest of you heathens think about this?

RoboGraham 8 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i'm only 100% certain that I cannot accept the notion that there is based on the fact that someone says that there is and the supremacist images of such. I personally find the whole notion of believe in the concept of a judeo Christian or other concept of such an entity to be truly supremacist and racist in conception, ideology and practice.

I really don't give it much thought. I've been nontheist for the past 25 years or more and it's not something that's relevant for me. I know what I know and leave it at that.

it's kinda like folk asking me if I believe in hell or the devil? it makes no sense.

I'm an agnostic atheist. I can't "know" completely, tho much evidence does tend to lean towards no creator god, but I surely do not "believe" as I have seen no proof of a creator/god, & much that seems to go the other way. So, not 100% certain there is no god, but fairly sure that is the case, & I live my life that way.

100% certain there is no God. Not 100% certain some higher intellect might have Once existed that created life that evolved to this state .A creator could create and cease to exist. I tend to believe that matter always existed only in different forms. If humans exist then why not the possibility of mortal creator . Each one can not be explained

I can't say 100% but I'm pretty god damn confident. I would like to know where the universe and/or multiverse came from.

To me, the existence of the common definition of a god as an all-knowing omnipresent benevolent Being having ‘created us’ in ‘his image’ is beyond the shadow of a doubt 100% false. Speculation beyond that is fine, but had better stop short of describing anything as fact until those facts are in.

Varn Level 8 Dec 30, 2017

I don’t care. It’s irrelevant.

Yes.

Well, first I want to know how advanced something has to be to be a "god", but I'm 100% sure there is no such thing as magic, besides it would probably stop being magic if it was discovered. I say magical gods with no explanation for existing doesn't exist, but I'm open to the idea of life forms much more advanced where they could outclass even some lesser gods, maybe, but with all things it needs evidence.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Dec 30, 2017

I don't think it's possible to know anything to 100% certainty. You can know beyond a reasonable doubt, though.

What if we're in the Matrix and gravity is an artificial construct? Asymptotic to 100% but never there.

I am not certain about anything. I feel it unfair and inappropriate to make any claims regarding the existence or non-existence of the supernatural--other than that I personally have seen no evidence of such. I am, after all, limited and ignorant in the scope of the universe. I don't think any gods exist, but I don't spend a lot of time ruminating on that theme, either. My primary orientation concerns what I feel is practical: "we're" (world at large, not us heathens on this site) never going to agree on what our imaginary friends say we have to do, who our imaginary friends are, etc. ... so can "we" please stop wasting time arguing about stuff we can't prove anyway and focus on the important stuff like feeding the hungry and healing the sick and caring for the poor (which, incidentally, most of "our" imaginary friends purportedly want us to do anyway!)? I think theology is a fine pastime--but it should never get in the way of mitigating suffering, let alone cause it! I suppose I'm inverting Pascal's wager, after a fashion: whether gods exist or not doesn't concern me, because I know I'm "godly" in my heart. Whatever. I don't claim to know much, but I'm pretty sure people can be induced to agree on what is empirically measurable--and not much else. It doesn't matter to me what we can't prove, as long as we're not letting that derail us from problem-solving in the realm of what we can prove. "Atheist" and "agnostic" are useful terms, but I don't live and die by them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.