Agnostic.com

33 9

The most disgusting food!

What's the most disgusting food you ever ate or at least tasted? Back in my teens, I was invited to dinner at a Chinese friend's house, and his sweet and beautiful mom served us a lychee nut concoction. Looking at the nuts swimming in a yellowish broth made me think of extracted human eyeballs---and when I tasted the lychees, the texture was, indeed, just like what I imagined an eyeball might feel like if I bit into it! With that first nibble, I was sure I was going to vomit, but I somehow managed to keep it at bay for the duration.

RobLawrence 7 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tomato aspic.

Dwight Level 7 June 24, 2018

Shio kara - basically salted squid guts. A bit of an acquired taste.

Ewww! I need to quickly eat a bowl of ice cream and some fudge to wipe that out of my mind

that and natto...are you sure you are not part Japanese? lol

@thinktwice Used to travel to Japan quite a bit earlier in my career...so got quite the exposure to Japanese food as I like to explore the food of a country when I visit.

(Like uni above, do like natto as well.)

Yes! I get it. Ha ha!

Cauliflower cheese is horrible. It always smells like cat sick.

@RobLawrence

I've never smelled disturbed skunk. I'm guessing it's not the prettiest of smells.

That sounds horrible! Personally, I can't stand to put any food in my mouth that feels like it has already been chewed. I also avoid slimy foods.

Octopus and squid. Like shewing on a piece of gristle.

I've had squid. More like plain old rubber.

Liver ugh!

Guess I’m strange. I like live although I don’t eat it much any more.

cauliflower

Love it

@RobLawrence more than the same family, they are the same plant. (sort of)

I don't like lamb... I don't care billions of jews and muslims disagree with me. Possible dogs and cats will not be to my taste also.

Lutefisk. You've not tasted Hell until you've eaten cod soaked in lye for 14 days

Proof that Vikings were insane.

Casu marzu.

Jnei Level 8 June 24, 2018

I looked that up on wikipedia. Cheese with live maggots does indeed sound gross. Yuck!
[en.wikipedia.org]

best bleu cheese ever...

Sea urchin...uni...tastes like shit smells

I came here to say this. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but sea urchin is disgusting. On top of the taste, it's roughly the consistency of snot.

@cmadler lol I am even part Japanese and I can't stand it...I will try most foods at least once...this is probably the only one I truly regretted...lol

@cmadler @thinktwice Thanks for the warning! 😛

I thought it tasted like what wet cat food would taste like... I spit it out and gagged last time I tried it lol (I try most things once)

@ClaytonE83 Cat food is way better, right?

And I love the stuff!

But to be fair, it has to be very fresh. I use the quality of the uni as one measure of the quality of the sushi restaurant. If the uni is good - fresh, light, slightly sweet with a hint of salt.....

Curious to know....if you dislike uni, what are your thoughts on oysters?

@RPardoe I love raw oysters.

@RPardoe I love oysters and snails...raw is fine...it is the taste of the uni I cannot abide...and believe me, I have had it very fresh...straight from the sea urchin..you either love it or hate it...lucky you...it is considered a delicacy for sure

@thinktwice Fair enough....thanks.

Broccoli and rice casserole. It looks like barf, smells like barf, and tastes like it's already been barfed!!!?

But how did it taste?

Lychee tastes good but ive seen it look gross the way it was described

@RobLawrence So you HAVE eaten eye balls prior. That is why you know what it tastes like.

Coleslaw yuck! I can eat plain cabbage and boiled cabbage but no coleslaw

Yeah!! Slaw should be illegal!!!

I went to a traditional Jewish Dinner and had the disgusting gefilte fish. I couldn't do it. Lol

I can tell you .... must acquire a taste but at a Jewish or Italian table you better duck if you refuse their hospitality... you get an oops upside the head

@Millerski25 I was definitely respectful. They are great people.

Chitlings (boiled pig intestines), They carry the taste of their original contents.

Tripe, chitterlings (pronounced chit- lins. Should pronounce as shit-lins, cause that is what they are.) No matter what one calls it, it is pig intestines where feces has passed thru. What does it smell like when it is cold & one is not supposed to eat it cold? Shit. Don't eat it cold 'cause it smells like shit which everyone has smelled. It is poor peoples food as they got what was left of the cadaver. The feet, the intestines, the testicles. That was in 1969 & I am still washing my mouth out with kerosine.

Souse - if you like all that jellied on a sandwich. Ugh.

Hormel canned corned beef hash. It too closely resembles the canned food that my mom served our cats.

Zster Level 8 June 24, 2018

Are you telling me I can’t sharemy cats food

@Millerski25 Hmmm... perhaps I was a tad hasty. It might be good on toast!

Brussels sprouts. They’re a little like cabbage which I like but I just can’t abide sprouts.

I call them little green balls of death.

I think this is one of those foods most people don't know how to cook well. Roasting Brussels sprouts at high heat seems to be the key to getting the best flavor: [seriouseats.com]

I rather like lychee fruit, though I'm unsure of the way you had it prepared (which sounds like it was the dried fruit, added to some other ingredients). I just like the plain, fresh fruit itself, which is quite sweet, though it is a rather firm, smooth-textured food (when peeled, of course), and that might not appeal to some people.

I've had a few foods I really don't like over the years, but I'm going with canned beets as my least favorite any time recently. I never liked them, but thought a couple of years ago that I'd give them another try, that somehow being an adult would make me appreciate beets more and take into account how healthy they are to eat, and found I hated them at least as much as I did when growing up. I can tolerate fresh beets, but still have to force myself.

Creamed corn. It bears such a striking resemblance to puke that it actually did make my gorge rise once.

Mc Donalds, Taco Bell and a few others who use measued amounts of sugar and salt along with meat that comes from who knows where and is not graded.

I can't stand fish or seafood. I hate organ meat and broccoli. Also, it isn't food, but I can't stand alcohol of any kind. Beer, wine, all mixed drinks. It's all so disgusting.

I clear we are going out to dinner together

@pepperjones you can have my share of it. I'm a good person to date, go out with, party with, because I don't drink. I have fun, and I can drive after being out all evening.

Crisco, high fructose corn syrup, cool whip

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:114831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.