Agnostic.com

14 3

Which do you think has achieved more for society - Philosophy or Science.?. Which will help the individual more when properly applied?

I admit that its is a difficulty that science was once called philosophy , but think of them in their modern formats.

Mcflewster 8 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love a good philosphy vs science debate. Science wins every time for me. The problem with philosophy is that you can talk for hours and get nowhere, Science might not be able to tell us everything, but science is the only thing that can tell us anything at all

I agree that science is the only way of knowing.

Isn't this theory versus practice? The difference is, of course, that in theory they are the same 🙂

Science is a two edged sword ,besides all the obvious benefits to mankind , it has also led to every problem the human race has faced.Over population ,atomic weapons,pollution,Global warming ,ecological disaster etc

But then science is just a set of processes. You cannot blame the problems of the human race on anything but humans and the way they misuse facts

Well, we can see the results of science. This computer for example. The Internet. Medicine, travel, space, cities, television... These all happened because of science. I don't think philosophy would have the same affect.

Try to drive a "parable" or be cured by an "allegory".

Philosophy is is he foundation of science. But both in its own way. Science can’t answer questions about ethics, metaphysics or logic.

the good parts of society or the bad?

Wow, this is a tough question. What makes a great society, progress or happiness? Can we live happy lives without exploring love, meaning and virtue which are philosophical pursuits? It seems that applying pure science to society would create a cold, but well functioning society, but not necessarily a happy or diverse society. I think of Brave New World a little when I think of a society driven by science alone.

If there was an AI that could take over our world and apply science to create a world where everyone was provided for and no one had to worry about anything, should we submit?

Science, of course. Philosophy is just conjecture, seeking. Remember that Arabia was once the seat of advanced science and learning. Then a religious guy came along and said science and working numbers is evil. Can you imagine? Humans can be so stupid.

Science provides a sound foundation upon which philosophers can sit while they ponder the ever changing tapestry of our reality. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that science sprang from the musings of ancient philosophers and their pursuit of logic.

Which came first the chicken or the egg? I think therefore I am. I think they work hand in hand.

I think people need a worldview in order to be happy and functional citizens. Science alone is not a worldview; it’s mostly just a collection of facts, and, I would say, an attitude. Philosophy is required to arrange facts, experience, and human impulse into a meaningful worldview. Philosophy therefore is primary, but science is a necessary ingredient.

skado Level 9 Dec 30, 2017

I would prefer to call science a set of processes.

Yes, that's more precise. The facts are the products of science, not science itself. @Mcflewster

How about this?

Just for the record, everything we consider to be science today started out as philosophy.

nah, some was "magic" and "witchcraft"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11514
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.