Agnostic.com

6 2

Will religion ever die out?

So as time goes on, religion becomes more and more eroded. Thanks to scientific advancements and increases in access to education and information, especially due to the advent of the internet, larger numbers of people see the fallacies of religion and abandon it.

I can't help but image a future in which religion has been relegated to the dust bin of history, although there will probably always be at least a small number who cling to it.

So I believe that there will come a time in the not too distant future when religion is no longer relevant if not snuffed out completely. I doubt this will occur within my own lifetime but I do think that we are approaching a tipping point in which the secularist will outnumber the theists.

Do you think it will die out and if so, how long will it take?

RoboGraham 8 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on which religion you referring too? there are over 4000 at the moment. don't know anyone who still believes in the ancient Egyptian, Greek or Roman Gods, "Religion is the opium of the people" is one of the most frequently paraphrased statements of German philosopher and economist Karl Marx. Who knows, he may have just got it right

I hope so. Asimov said that if aliens were proven to exist religion would die out. Because religions say humans were created in gods omage so in whose image were aliens created.

If aliens were found, most religious people would probably choose not to believe it.

@basketball stars The majority of religious people would likely reject the possibility of aliens even if they were discovered.

I would like to believe we (society) will some day be able to make rational and well informed decisions and be able to differentiate between fact based (supported by testable evidence) and faith (not supported by evidence) based assertions. However, with the rise of Trump, my confidence in people's ability to make well informed decisions has been greatly eroded. At the present environmental (political, social, women's rights and ecological) vector, when things such as overpopulation stresses outstripping resources, I think it is more likely we will again see the rise of dreaded Crisis Cult.

Not for a long, long time. There will be folks "looking for meaning" rather than making the effort to grasp reality for many generations to come. How to break this cycle of superstition when parents, ofttimes society overall indoctrinates the young, favours adherence to religious practices?

The religion of greed will never die. Power breeds greed and as long as men have testosterone both greed and power grabbing will be among us. I’m not willing to be castrated though. Please no!! Hahahaha!!!!

We had a previous post on this you might want to check out. Religions like Judaism are losing numbers due to intermarriage, assimilation. and smaller families.Many articles such as Alan Dershowitz/NY Times detail this. Are more people becoming secular plenty of evidence on that as well. Are all religions declining at same time? No. How long will it take? Maybe new religions in a thousand years if Earth still is habitable planet. Time will tell.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.