Agnostic.com

27 3

Life on other Planets? Yes or No?

The answer to this question for me at least is incredibly obvious, especially in light of all the recent astronomical observations of planets around other stars and considering the huge estimated numbers of planets similar to earth in the universe. It's a matter of probability! Thus far of course, scientists have no direct proof of life outside the Earth, but what do people think? Y or N?

• 42 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 15 votes
ripcurldane 7 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The probabilities of life elsewhere in the universe is undeniable. That being said, It's unlikely we'll ever meet life on other planets, let alone intelligent life. Comes down to distance.

Yes

As you say, it's just a matter of probability. It's a given in my mind, but even finding the most rudimentary microbe on another world in our solar system would raise that probability astronomically (no pun intended) to the extent that we could start talking about sentience.

godef Level 7 Dec 31, 2017

Given the sheer unimaginable vastness of the universe there is surely a high probability of life in a variety of forms on other planets within our galaxy and beyond in other galaxies. I think it exceedingly unlikely that we are the only life form in the universe.

Yes, I would expect life to crop up elsewhere. It might be foreign enough for us to not even notice if we define it based on life here.

Zster Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

I'm not so arrogant as to imagine that we're the only ones floatin' around !

Sorry. I didn't mean to tromp on your comment. I only really registered it after I commented myself. As Ed would say -- You Are Correct Sir! (or Ma'am).

@RichCC Not to worry ! (smile)

While the probabilities are superficially good, until we actually find life elsewhere, we can't say for sure. If the odds of life arising are low enough, we may be unique. Like the odds of a monkey typing Hamlet by chance. Doesn't matter how many monkeys you have, it's odds are so low as to be effectively zero.

That's true good point. Like quantum mechanics where anything 'can' happen but probabilities are so low that we'll never see them.

According to one estimate:
"Frank Drake's own current solution to the Drake Equation estimates 10,000 communicative civilizations in the Milky Way"

[setileague.org]

Then counting the number oif estimated galaxies which by the way keeps growing, currently at about 10^12 galaxies (https://phys.org/news/2017-01-universe-trillion-galaxies.html)

That's 10^12 x 10^4 = 10^16 = 10 000 000 000 000 000

Of course not all galaxies are equal, so this is a very basic way to find an estimate.

But no matter how conservative you get here it's still going to be a 1 with quite a few zeros attached 🙂

There is not a doubt in my mind given how unfathomably big the universe is. I find it highly unlikely that we are the only sentient life in our galaxy much less the universe.

There is likely life on other planers. But, without any evidence, certainty is not possible.

There has to be something living out there.

Why not.... Do I want to go there ? NO!

It's just a matter of time before we find evidence of it.

Duke Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

I've mentioned the Drake equation (whichever incarnation you want to choose) and the Fermi paradox elsewhere on Agnostic.com. The numbers make very compelling arguments.

Now the question seems to be Why is there no evidence of ET life yet?. It is becoming apparent that believing we are alone is a step beyond arrogance.

What @TheMiddleWay said with some reservations. I am 99.9999...9% sure there is life elsewhere in the Universe, perhaps in our solar system. I won't go the full distance because of the same reasoning he brought up.

@NerdyOkieDude -- The one with the Frank and Sullivan modifications taking into account Kepler and more recent data. Yes. Here's a slap shot I took at it just now. The article is well written.

[dailymail.co.uk]

It's only a matter of time before we get confirmation. But it will not be in the UFOs field that it will be confirmed, but after our civilization leaves the boundaries of our solar system. So centuries from now.

of course but how far away it is will be the difficulty

The Fermi Paradox suggests there is a high probability of extraterrestrial life. So, I think keeping an open mind about the existence of ETs rather than denying the possibility is the better way to think. When proof presents itself maybe I'll feel a little better inside.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 9, 2018

For me it's not really a paradox that there are high estimates for the probability of alien life and yet a lack of evidence, as there are such vast distances between solar systems. This may prove or not prove to be an impenetrable 'barrier' to meeting other life forms directly. However, I am hopeful that with improving radio telescopes and other receiving instruments that in the future we would at least be able to pick up signals proving their existence, signals that could only have come from another intelligence.

Fiction mimics reality. The movie, Avator, takes place on a moon of a gas giant planet in the Apha Centauri system. Moons of gas giants in our home system possibly harbor life. The question about life anywhere other than earth may be answered within the next couple of decades, not to mention other planets in other star systems. So what will happen is we'll discover life and Christian missionaries will be the first to go there and try to convert the inhabitants.

IF Xtian Missio9naries do ever go to another planet and try to convert them, then the inhabitants of those planets will most certainly have my deepest and most sincere sympathies and condolences.

@Triphid I'm including the microbial life that may exist on the moons of our solar system's gas giants. 😉 (My view of the absurdity of christian missionaries.)

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it..."

Life in the single cellular sense? Probably, but I'm doubtful that we'll ever see it.
Intelligent life? Really no idea, but I'd be seriously surprised if it was in our galaxy.

hey why not, its a big universe

Yes I believe in life on other plants

While I'm certain, by simple probability, that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe; I'm also comparatively certain that it has not visited us, simply by the distances involved.

No reason not.

Scientist's estimate there are more than 10 thousand billion billion stars in the universe, and even if a fraction of them had planets that are suitable for any kind of life, I don't see how there COULDN'T be life out there.

It would SHEER, Unadulterated Human Religious fed Arrogance to think/believe that only this 1 single planet amid possibly millions in the Universe would have some sort of life on it.
As to whether that life-form may be intelligent or not is another question since We humans see ourselves as being the 'Pinnacle of Intelligence and Evolution' then I ask Who are we to actually judge since WE can't even manage to get along with members of our OWN species.

Very true!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.