Agnostic.com

49 7

What's the worst gift you've ever had?

Most of my worst gifts were from my ex, a happy 1st birthday card on mother's day when the kids were very little. A 2 for bonsai tree the other was for his mother, another mother's day fuck up. For out 10th wedding anniversary a picture of himself, actually a picture he'd had taken of the band and just photo shopped them out of it! A klingon mug for my birthday. A nightie that would have been too frumpy for my granny! A plastic necklace with a skull on it for our anniversary?? As a kid I got a balaclava from my godmother, purple and green way to conspicuous for a bank job ?

Josephine 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My ex mother in law always bought me cooking related gifts, though I was not even slightly interested in cooking. But she topped those with a USED hand weight set for a birthday gift.

The best gift for me was havin'g a heart to heart with my mother when I was about 20'ish. I found out that the reason that she divorced my father was nbecause she could not stand how he treated me. My bio dad was a fucking abusive tyrant to me. most of my life I never had the feeling that someone had my back, or suportive of me, so I rebelled. But one day Me and my mother had a great heart to heart about what went down back then. And we've been very close ever since then.
No bad gifts can trump that.

As a teen I had delusions of being a great artist. One year in particular I must have painted twenty mid-sized canvases. That Christmas my parents gave me a guitar. They never actually realized what kind of a statement that gift made to me. For my part I had by that time gained enough maturity to appreciate the simple honesty of their gift.

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad gift, perhaps a thoughtless gift or a gift with strings attached but bad and gift just don't go together in the same sentence for me. Maybe I'm just too much of the optimist but if I got a horse trailer full of horse manure for xmas then I'd grab a shovel and start digging because there has to be a horse buried in there somewhere. 😉

@Josephine See that shows you lack optimism, the horse could be really good at holding his breath. 🙂

@Surfpirate,
"There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!" was the punchline of my father's favorite joke. Dad was an optimist, like me.

@Josephine I'm an Atheist who is about to run for the Mayor's seat in a county that has been controlled by the little old ladies who run the church and the bridge club for years. If you look up Optimist in the dictionary you may just find a picture of me. 😀

I have paid good money for cow manure for my garden.

@UUNJ It's about $40 a ton around my home, delivery extra.

@Surfpirate Good luck!

A new car that he picked out , drove it to the house expecting me to be pleased!
1.I was financially paying for it
2. He picked make and color
3. After divorce he kept it as he was first on loan papers even though I paid it off from my teaching job.

That sucks

My husband got me an AARP membership for my 50th birthday. He claimed it was a joke.

My Brethren mother always gave me a hankie and a banana for xmas, [ eat the banana then wipe my face ] very generous my mum....

madmac Level 7 June 28, 2018

I was given a lovely silver cross on a silver chain. One, I am a pale-faced, glow-in-the-dark redhead, so I don't wear silver (it barely shows on my white skin), and, two, hello? I'm not christian, so the cross was meant kindly, but a huge miss. I politely thanked the giver; as I did appreciate that he thought enough of me to give a gift!

Rustee Level 7 June 27, 2018

My step great grandmother got yelled at for pretending I don't exist so for Christmas one year she gave my brother 100 dollars and me an old plastic vase with spiders still living in it

Thats some serious Harry potter shit!

@Stealthbeard at my great grandpas funeral she announced me as Alejandro. I'm neither male nor alejandro.... she dead now. Don't miss her.

@Stealthbeard I was literally the red headed step child

What's going on there then? Misogyny?

@Ellatynemouth she came from a time where step children were not family.

Is an inheritance a gift? If so then my bad joint genetics I received from both sides of my family. I want to see your Klingon mug!

For our 25th wedding anniversary, I really pushed the boat out for my (now) ex. Really costly hotel and meal (Le Manoir de Quat’ Saisons in Oxfordshire - look it up), two fabulously expensive Mulberry handbags (purses to you of the American persuasion), matching platinum and diamond eternity ring and ear-rings. I spent thousands. Literally thousands. Now, it isn’t about the money - I just wanted to treat her to some things I knew she’d love. And she did. And I was happy she did - I like giving gifts to people that I know they’ll really like. I listen, I watch, I make mental notes about them and their likes and dislikes.

I gave her the gifts at the hotel - that was a surprise as well. She said she hadn’t got me a gift yet, as she was unsure about it, and wanted me to see it first. I wasn’t bothered, that was cool. I expect nothing anyway, just the way I am. There was no card for me either.

The next weekend, we went to our local shopping centre, and she steered me toward a jeweller’s shop. Uh oh, I don’t wear jewellery! She led me to the window display that was full of expensive watches. Uh oh, I only wear cheap watches as I’m always bashing the crystals against things and breaking them. Needn’t have worried - she pointed to what was the cheapest watch in the window, by several orders of magnitude. She asked if I liked it. I said yes, but I actually hated it, nasty, cheap looking thing - I’d have preferred a Swatch. And been very happy with it.

BUT; ALL THESE YEARS LATER AND I’M STILL WAITING FOR IT!!!!! AND THE BLOODY CARD!!!!!

Christmases and birthdays were the same as well, all through our marriage. Not once did she ever get me anything I liked and/or wanted, but always something she wanted me to like or felt I should have, even when I didn’t.

I finally left her two years later. And trust me, gifts didn’t figure in that decision. But that’s a tale for another century. ?

@Crimson67 Oh dear! You too huh? X

Needlepoint. Many pieces. I hate needlepoint.

UUNJ Level 8 July 1, 2018

Silver plated tea set from an uncle as a wedding present.

...that requires diligent polishing. Relic of a bygone era.

It's bad enough periodically polishing copper-bottomed cooking pots. Auuggh!

My uncle who I hardly ever saw more than once or twice in my life came over for a family dinner. Upon leaving, and this was the only time he could give me this particular gift because he was sitting on it, was a very old used cracked Mets seat cushion. He used to work at Shea Stadium. I graciously accepted it, and then threw it out after he left lol. Never saw him again.

My Mama gave me a body bag for Christmas. Ho. Ho. Ho.

Life. People in general.

Shouldn't say it was a BAD gift, but not thought all the way through I guess...
But I managed a pizza shop way back, and my live in girlfriend at the time, brought me dinner to work..
..a bag of frozen pizza rolls.

They all are appreciated... even the forgotten one... but my son bought me an acoustic guitar in 2016... only problem... Righthanded... I am Lefthanded... he thought it was not important. I am shipping the righty to my elder daughter. Geeks!!!! A geek can always fucked up a cup of coffee.

My MIL gave me a box of rocks for Christmas one year. A literal box of rocks. (It's supposed to be a hot stone massage set, but, does that mean I was supposed to give the massages? That's not a gift for me. Or was I supposed to receive the massages? I don't like massage, so still not a gift for me. I think she found a clever way to give me a box of rocks without my husband thinking she was being a dick.) She is now financing my ex-husband's share of the divorce costs. Coincidence? I think not.

I can't believe you lasted ten years with such a senseless person.

All I say " MOTHER IN LAW" ! LOL For many years ( and most likely still) she went out of her way to express her dislike for me. A few years ago. It was my birthday, she and her other son insisted to come over our house to celebrate my birthday. Even though I was not up to it and even expressed that. As always, she handed me something unwrapped and of course as always no card. She handed me a large box of chocolate as a gift.A few days later, some friends came over and I knew one of them enjoys chocolates a lot. I just didn't care about this " gift". And I told them where it was from and they knew the issue with my dearest MIL. When they got home I received a on my cell. And it showed the package of chocolates open , filled with maggots. I later on found out that she had some chocolates laying around in the garage who knows for how long, grabbed them and brought them to me a s a gift. Yep, hell broke lose that day I found out.

From my ex - one of those dollar roses they used to sell at convenience stores. For Christmas. Only that.

From my MIL - I was pregnant with her only grandchild. She gave me a filthy white brocade teddy bear that she had salvaged from a dumpster. It only had one orange eye. She said I could clean it up and make it nice for the baby!

Wow, that isn’t very good. If my boyfriend gifted me a picture of himself on such a special date, I would break up with him the same day. It is just a joke, and such gestures just humiliate you as a person. I don’t say a man should gift something extremely expensive for celebrations, and I’m not the girl who demands new cars or a few-thousands necklace. However, it should be something decent, like flowers and our picture in the frame, or one of the gift baskets with sweets and something girly and aroma candles. It is still romantic and shows attitude, despite being cheap.

One year my husband bought me an ab cruncher...I loved him but he could be a clueless jerk from time time. Damn thing has been sitting in the basement for about 10 years gathering dust. He'd ask me what I wanted and I told him I'd love it if he hired the mighty maids to come clean the house for an afternoon...he thought I was joking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.