Agnostic.com

4 4

I am an aspiring Sci-fi novelist. I began a new novel last night and as I was writing I realized how my belief system affected my writing and storylines. As an atheist, I do not create characters that have religious views that direct their behavior. My plotlines are based on science. I have written several novels that I am working on getting published and none of the stories even address any religious language or concepts.

We have discussed how politicians and other business leaders like chik-a-fila and Hobby Lobby use religion for business reasons.

Who else has a job, hobby, or interest that their belief system has an effect on how they perform their duties?

ksmartines 6 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my personal career, my attitude -- as a soldier, as a teacher, researcher, writer, and educational leader, my attitude always affected my work. I find it difficult to think that one's personal attitudes do not affect how on performs his or her work.

I am a poet as well as an aspiring writer. I have started 2 novels and it is a difficult task. To boot I have at least 3 more premises to start collageing on. If I could figure out how to talk the words into a recorder the process would be faster. I find my best thoughts come out when I am typing or at the end of the day laying down. Thought about using a ghostwriter that would work for quick capital but the writing loses something in translation.

If you have a computer microphone, you should be able to find a program for making notes. I used to have a micro cassette recorder, it was a nuisance.

I also am an author. Ghosts, vampires, and other occult themed stories. I don't believe in any of these, but that's not the point. I believe in the "story," and I love the stories and concepts that go with it. I loved Joseph Campbell growing up, and paid close attention to how important mythology was to our evolution as a species. We are the story.

I don't control my characters. They have their own personalities. So if I have a character that "believes" in something I don't, then as a writer, I owe it to that character to be who they are, whether I like them or not. I've always said that the story comes "through" me, it's influenced by me, but at some point it takes on its own persona, and at that point, it's up to me to let it make its own way.

It's impossible to take "me" out of it, but it's not impossible to carefully consider what each character may be thinking, feeling, experiencing, apart from my beliefs... or lack thereof, and give them that freedom to move. If I'm successful, I have three-dimensional characters with intriguing stories to tell. If I'm not... well... let's just say that I've had to put those stories aside until they decide to give me some added guidance on how to proceed.

I have seen a ghost yet I remain atheist.

Generalized AI is a hobby of mine, and the idea recently crossed my mind that an AI progressing to the point of even thinking about belief might be an indicator of how advanced it is. 😀 Otherwise, I have no intention of programming it to go either way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11734
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.