Agnostic.com

38 9

Do you think that some atheists have the same blind devotion to science as they do to religion?

My reason for this comment is a conversation I recently had with someone over medication.
I made a comment that I prefer to not take any medication and use diet and nature whenever possible.
The person I was talking to freaked out and asked me how I could call myself an atheist, believer of science and yet I denied the benefit of modern medicine.

I tried to explain that I don't deny the benefits but I also understand that it isn't full proof either. How can people be so skeptical about religion but yet refuse to be skeptical about medicine?

I see so much hate for people who don't embrace all science without question from atheists. Doesn't being a skeptic also apply to other aspects of our lives?

Crimson67 8 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm going to go down the conspiracy route here and introduce you to John Potash and his work uncovering why The CIA killed Tupac.
Now I forgot the other guy who exposed the CIA selling crack to fund proxy wars in Latin America, but if you tie both of these investigation with the opioid epidemic you start to see a connection.
I'm more worried about Veterans today because they prescribed opiods to my mother and her husband. And good thing they refuse to take that prescription because they didn't wanted to be addicted. My mother suffered from addiction and she stays clear away from that stuff.
Another thing is that science seems to avoid is the plecebo effect yet the reason why they can't test drugs in the USA is because the plecebo effect is greater here than overseas.

Devotion to science and faith in religion aren't comparable in my book. I don't know anyone that has faith in science.

We often forget about the issues of homeless people of all types such as women, men, teenage girls & boys and others living out in the cold or extreme heat. And yet our community and churches are overwhelmed. I could assist these people to get the right resources with volunteering my RN and Paralegal services to organize building new shelters to get these homeless people the resources to find shelter for themselves and their families. Also, with my psychology, student, nursing, and military background, I could help the homeless veterans to students who have no place to live as well as directing them to get the proper counseling (regardless if it is faith-based or not to help these homeless people to get emergency housing they need).

[facebook.com] by Lee Scott AirForceNurse1 to Help Our Homeless Population Here! Donate here: [facebook.com]

Science is a method, not a body of facts. Devotion to it is not blindness - it's the most clear-headed way of living we have ever come up with. We look at events and try to explain them. If the explanation doesn't fit, we reject it.

Understanding the reality of things is my biggest goal and am afraid that my brain cannot understand all things. It sounds like you’re making a rational decision; at least to my understanding.

I am somewhat of a skeptic. I have some doubts about some things that most of the scientific community has accepted as gospel. Scientist are people too, subject to prejudice and bias like anyone else. It tends to be the young scientist that change things. They are not yet so ridged in their thinking and can entertain new ideas more easily.

"whenever possible" It makes it your choice. Generally it's your body, you take care of it. You've done a good job.

People are people.

skado Level 9 Dec 31, 2017

People are emotional creatures. That is as true of atheists as it is of Druids. Having embraced a community of thought we all tend to "gather the wagons" in its defense. Having said that, "blind devotion" is profoundly unscientific. We are quick to note the unchristian beliefs of main-stream Christians. I agree that we should be just as critical of our fellows.

Bernz Level 2 Dec 31, 2017

Being a skeptic is part of being a scientist. People can make all kinds of claims, but you have to look at the evidence that either support or rejects the claim. There are people who are just as authoritarian when it comes to science as there are when it comes to religion. "Well, all scientists say",,,blah, blah, blah, but never take the time to read papers of the studies or read arguments against the conclusions of the researchers.

I’m not sure that Atheim means one must believe science. Science rarely tells us anything, for sure, and has caused mistreatment or mistake. Yes you should question it and how a scientific answer fits in relation to other options.

Science knows nothing for sure, even gravity is starting to be questioned, and often changes. Medical science is almost purely a con game to keep the wealthy alive and sell problematic products to the rest of us. Science does give us better theories than religion, however.

The first thing that came to mind, Medical Marijuana offers better relief over pharmaceuticals in many cases.

i have the feeling most contributors are skeptics so even science [as cold as it can be ] may be up for interpretation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.