Agnostic.com

27 1

Under 5% of Americans travel overseas - fact or myth?

Hello American friends (i.e. non Republicans)

I'm from Australia. Us Australians travel a lot, because we are isolated and on an island, this leaves us no choice if we want to see other countries. You my American friends have other landlocked countries you can visit, so can technically travel to other countries without going overseas.

When I do run into Americans overseas and mention I'm from Australia, I virtually always hear "Oh nice, I'd like to go there someday". But you can kinda tell it's lip service and that they probably won't go there. There's no conviction in their voice, it's just polite speak.

Which got me doing a quick Google and I found this article from the Huffington Post.
[huffingtonpost.com]

Although a little old, it makes some interested best estimates of the true percentage of Americans who travel overseas. I also learned there's been a tiny bit of growth in the last 9 years - the BBC reports 40% of Americans now hold passports compared to 35% when the Huff Post article was written. But nothing to significantly alter the fact that out of 4% of Americans who travel o/s, only a paltry 2% of the come to Australia.

So my question are: Why aren't you travelling? Why aren't you travelling here? I'd love to hear reasons. Are they...

1. Cost
  2. Time (you only get 2 weeks per year vacation there, don't you?)
  3. Prefer to go somewhere else
  4. Fear of flying
  5. Something else?

Cheers, Brett.

• 44 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 9 votes
ShroomPizzazz 4 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Money.. when so much must go to services that should be collectively done by society as a whole...as in . Health care, leaves little room for travel.

PaulE Level 3 June 28, 2018

We are broke! Our employment rate for shitty paying jobs is the highest ever. ????

America is not the American dream. Far from it.

Many Americans struggle on low wages and enjoy less holiday entitlement when compared with other countries. Unions must be very weak in the US.

And getting weaker, thanks to the latest SCOTUS decision.

@GinaMaria

It really is a class war. The ruling class are trying to squeeze as much out of the working class as they can. Like a piece of fruit. They would turn us into slaves if they could.

Traveled extensively including Australia, loved it, very nice place.

@PraiseXenu shhhh!! Don’t tell the Ausies.......

I leave the US for the UK or Europe at least twice a year. Its horribly expensive but can pull it of fairly easily by shopping air fare carefully, staying with friends and living with extreme frugality.
I was raised as an expat kid so long travels don't faze me. I can't think of a single person I know that currently has a passport. The cost is prohibitive and ever rising for many Americans.

I only started travelling in 2016 and I wanna do it more but it's so expensive.
I'm in UK and just got an American visa but can't find any cheap enough flights for 2018 so I'll probably buy one for next year.
So far, I've been to the Caribbean and done a tour of Europe. USA/Canada and Asia are in my plans.

Oz has fatal spiders, salt water crocs and killer kangaroos. That damn spider scares me the most.
Europe, please.

I went to New Zealand, is that close enough?

It's far too expensive, unfortunately. ?

I used to travel quite a bit professionally. Traveling overseas and elsewhere is a drug for me. I miss it a lot and would love to travel to Australia regardless of the flight times/expense/critters. That being said, I know a lot of people who have trouble going five minutes down the road. I attribute that to the above plus fear; there’s a lot of fear in the U.S. exacerbated by polarizing influences, and though my inclination is to travel and experience new things and push my envelope, (therefore negating fears) I realize I’m pretty unique.

PenLOP Level 7 June 28, 2018

Well, here you have an American who has traveled overseas....and Australia is one of the countries I visited. Lovely people.

Been to Oz, and much of western Europe. Still would like to see some of South America.

But - travel keeps getting more difficult, especially in the area of security.

At different times of my life, I have lived in Germany, the Middle East, and different parts of Asia. And BTW, while living in Japan, I traveled to Australia and New Zealand. But I know most Americans don't share my Wanderlust, whether it be because of lack of curiosity or the low-wage economy that is the norm here.

what, is the whole world american ? eff off

My primary reason for not traveling much is lack of a companion to do it with.

I do travel overseas - headed to Italy in a few weeks, in fact. I think most Americans don't because of money, limited vacation time, and an utter lack of curiosity. (And that flight to Oz is a killer)

GwenC Level 7 June 28, 2018
  1. Distance
  2. Not sufficiently different enough from American culture to to intrigue us.
  3. Perceived macho values and tx of women.
  4. Too many crocodiles..
  5. Mostly desert.
  6. Maps show it to be somewhat beneath us.
  7. Immigration (whites only) history and current treatment of refugees
  8. I could add treatment of Aboriginals but we are far worse there with our Native Americans.)

Despite the above (done partially in jest), Aussies are great and friendly people (in my experience) with a less overbearing government.

soquel Level 6 July 11, 2018

Distance >> True
Not sufficiently different enough from American culture to to intrigue us >> True
Perceived macho values and tx of women >> You've watched too much Crocodile Dundee
Too many crocodiles >> Only in the Northern Territory
Mostly desert >> True, but plenty to see if you stick to the coast
Maps show it to be somewhat beneath us >> Same as distance?
Immigration (whites only) history and current treatment of refugees
I could add treatment of Aboriginals but we are far worse there with our Native Americans.) >> Like USA there are rednecks in Australia and good people too, so I don't know why that would be an issue. Every country has its share of assholes. Older generations who vote conservative tend to be more racist too.

Thank you for all your comments. Very insightful.

Australia is a great country, I loved it...you might be surprised to know that many Americans have never left their own state let alone travel overseas. But my Australian friends get 6 weeks of vacation a year or more so its much easier for them to get away. And, if you're off by say 3% of Americans who travel overseas, it equals almost the whole population of Australia 🙂

lerlo Level 8 July 5, 2018

Lack of money, so many in the US are just living paycheck to paycheck.
& I'm not sure how long it's been but we used to be able to go to Canada without a passport (maybe Mexico too) but now we can't.

I think that is a myth. Roughly 75% of everyone I know has at least been to one or two other countries.

Cost is biggest. I haven't even left the state in a long time.

I've traveled to Australia for work and found it to be a wonderful experience. But it probably wouldn't have been on the top of my list for several reasons: (1) cost, (2) travel time, (3) cultural similarity to the US. That said, I'd be happy to live in Australia if not for the fact that it's "the ass-end of the world," as you Aussies say.

Lalo Level 5 June 29, 2018

Have traveled a bit overseas. Haven't made the hop to Australia yet. On my list!

Have been to Berlin Germany and Buenos Aires Argentina as a child, but in my adult life ive only traveled to other states in the US. Its expensive to travel over seas plus the only place worth visiting in my opinion in certain european countries

Tejas Level 8 June 28, 2018

I've not only traveled overseas, I lived in Germany for three years. Sold the house, the minivan, and most of the furnishings and moved the whole family. Since returning, I've only crossed the pond once more, but I'll go again if I can ever get ahead, financially. I love to travel.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.