Agnostic.com

27 1

Under 5% of Americans travel overseas - fact or myth?

Hello American friends (i.e. non Republicans)

I'm from Australia. Us Australians travel a lot, because we are isolated and on an island, this leaves us no choice if we want to see other countries. You my American friends have other landlocked countries you can visit, so can technically travel to other countries without going overseas.

When I do run into Americans overseas and mention I'm from Australia, I virtually always hear "Oh nice, I'd like to go there someday". But you can kinda tell it's lip service and that they probably won't go there. There's no conviction in their voice, it's just polite speak.

Which got me doing a quick Google and I found this article from the Huffington Post.
[huffingtonpost.com]

Although a little old, it makes some interested best estimates of the true percentage of Americans who travel overseas. I also learned there's been a tiny bit of growth in the last 9 years - the BBC reports 40% of Americans now hold passports compared to 35% when the Huff Post article was written. But nothing to significantly alter the fact that out of 4% of Americans who travel o/s, only a paltry 2% of the come to Australia.

So my question are: Why aren't you travelling? Why aren't you travelling here? I'd love to hear reasons. Are they...

1. Cost
  2. Time (you only get 2 weeks per year vacation there, don't you?)
  3. Prefer to go somewhere else
  4. Fear of flying
  5. Something else?

Cheers, Brett.

• 44 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 9 votes
ShroomPizzazz 4 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Money.. when so much must go to services that should be collectively done by society as a whole...as in . Health care, leaves little room for travel.

PaulE Level 3 June 28, 2018

I travel a great deal. I just returned from 3 weeks abroad. I did not have the opportunity to go to college when I graduated from School in 1975. I think of travel as my education.

LouLou Level 4 June 28, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.