Agnostic.com

24 3

Is "Luck" real ?

Can someone always be "lucky" and another always "unlucky" ?

sweetcharlotte 8 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
~Samuel Goldwyn

My opinion is that happenstance is real. Probability would dictate that good things and bad things will happen to most people in generally equal amounts, but there will be a portion of the population where more good things happen than bad, and vice versa. So, some people will experience good luck more than others, but I don't feel that "luck" is an inherent trait.

Luck is the random action on the universe. We are short sighted in time so see it as only happening to someone else sometimes.

It's all happenstance.

Merely the interpretation of something that goes your way without obvious cause. In the existential movie Runaway Train by Tarkovsky, at one point John Voight, exclaims "whatever Happens, Happens!

Luck doesn't exist, like angels, witches and warlocks!!

For the record...that's a great movie!

I'd say... mathematically, yes. Assuming everyone is rolling dice, there will absolutely be people that roll nat 20s more often than the average.

But I see it more as just... coincidence. Nothing supernatural or special.

SirJet Level 5 June 28, 2018

Critical Hit!!!

Nah, but one could influence their “luck” be being prepared or uprepared. You can’t win the lottery unless you buy a ticket. And you are less likely to survive a car crash if you don't wear a seatbelt.

But anything like “luky underwear” is useless. Placebos won’t influence reality beyond your own perception.

But, I’ll always max out my Luck score in Fallout. Only way I’ll hit the post-apocalyptic strip.

Of course it is. Ask anyone who fishes. ?

aka happenstance

Branch Rickey said luck is the residue of design. I agree with him, but separate synchronicity from what i would consider luck. Lucky people win lotteries, prepared people benefit from synchonicity. LLOL

An old military aviation saying:
"It's better to be lucky than good."
I've been very lucky in that context a few times.
So, yes. There is such a thing as luck.

I believe "luck" is real and plays a part in everyone's every day life, but is nothing more than random happenings. I do not believe that some are "always" lucky and others "always" unlucky.

Some individuals randomness is much better than others. Just anomalies amongst statistics.

Serendipity, good fortune are real. Some people have wins at random, but as for being lucky, no, luck is not something that exists outside teh afore mentioned good fortune by random chance.
However we can improve our odds, chance does favour those who are prepared to make the most of it.

Absolutely. How else do you explain people born with a silver spoon?

"Born with a silver spoon" That poor mother.

I just call it "luck" when something unexpected and random happens. It's faster than saying "unexpected and random".

We wave all experienced fortunate coincidence, and bad timing. But, to a degree, we make out own luck by what we do and do not do. In many cases we would not have experienced that fortunate coincidence had we not done the things that put us there at that time and place.

It's not "luck"-it's just that we are co-creators of our own universe..making our own reality.

What you believe, or fear, comes to you, since your focus on it makes it manifest, for good or for bad.

“Consciousness is fundamental and matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

Luck real? Most likely not. There are some people that have better choices to make (opportunities).

Where are you citing your source of the meaning of the word "luck"? We can do the existence proof from there.

@StilInterested

No no you don't have to cite your question, you just have to cite the word "luck".

However, I got an idea.

Luck happens because we teach statistics, but not statistical mechanics, so many probabilities that we think are accurate are only accurate via circular fallacy.

So we have the underlying presumption that is more or less "This statistic is accurate, because statistics says so" - lol, please stop, people.

Statistics have to be derived from a necessary progression. The necessary progression remains correct and accurate because every necessary progression is respective of the previous state of mathematical work, or else it's bunk.

So we think that our little statistical studies and such bear resemblance of the natural world, but we don't even look at the natural world, for starters.

It seems to be that way, in a very subtle sort of way. Its not that obvious but, if you are aware then you can see it. Best to my knowledge, there is no rational explanation for it.

No. Perception is everything. ?

I wanna see if you turn out to be correct

I'd say yes. It may not be governed by any deity or something like that, but everything in reality is on a scale of probability (Including whether something exists or not). A person may have limited control over certain occurrences but you can never reach 100% certainty. If you could, that would pretty much mean you have total control of your version of reality, if not more.

Hell, even if everything was preordained (assuming it's still of natural occurrence) people would still be 'lucky' and 'unlucky' relative to the biological and cultural circumstances.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.