Agnostic.com

46 3

Would you ever engage in a polyamorous relationship?

Considering the God Squad thinks the only reason any of us are agnostic/atheist is so we can do whatever we want without consequences and turn this planet into one giant hedonistic party, would you ever be part of a polyamorous relationship?

• 33 votes
  • 34 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 0 votes
wecoyote6969 5 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your survey is not exhaustive (adjusts glasses). Jokes!

True poly, I would absolutely go for. Unfortunately, the term is often misused by couples in open relationships, looking to legitimise a bit fun on the side without considering themselves swingers.

I really don't have a problem with a 3 or maybe 4 way dynamic, where everyone is in a relationship with everyone else. It's the 'bit on the side' bit that doesn't work for me, where you're basically there for sex and excluded from any meaningful emotional connection with the primary couple.

I have 3 partners. My husband, we share a bf together, and I separately have a gf.

I love being polyamorous athiests.

(And no, none of us are straight)

I feel like I would get too paranoid and would constantly be thinking about how I rank among the other partners.

To each their own.

Tried it when younger, thought it was the solution to a few things. Felt radical and honest. But yea, na. Now I think monogamy is a nice idea, if it works for a couple. Real nice. Don't mind abstinence either. Be honest with yourself and your partner. But that does NOT include telling your partner every (or any!) detail of an erotic dream you just had, featuring someone other than your partner.

I am good with them. As long as everyone in the relationship is fine with it. Also all members know about each other and agree to few rules. I been in one for short time.

I'm not quite sure what a polyamorus relationship is -I should probably Google it before commenting but why change the habit of a lifetime 🙂
As I don't even have one relationship at the moment it seems unlikely that I would get involved with more than one....
Chance would be a fine thing -as we say around these parts 🙂

I don't think I could. Multiple partners would be fun but I think I'd rather give one woman all of my love in a committed relationship. Plus with my luck I'd get into a poly relationship with two women and a guy, would fall hardcore for girl #1, then she ends up falling in love with guy #2, they leave the relationship and end up getting married and being monogamous and I'm left with girl #2 whom I don't have a lot of chemistry for, at least when compared to girl #1. I just wanna find and marry girl #1 dammit.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 17, 2018

Sounds about right. I think it tends to get confusing, frustrating and someone usually gets hurt. Good luck finding and keeping the one! 🙂

I have many times been in polyamorous relationships - unknowingly and involuntary. I don't know what it would be like to do it intentionally.

If it was unknowingly, it was not polyamorous. Part of the definition is everyone knowing and being ok with it.

Yes I would how ever the head of the family should be able to take care of and have authority over the family with out making everyone feel like slaves

I for one would welcome such an arrangement if the opportunity were to arise. Unfortunately, I have yet to find even one that I could maintain a lasting relationship with that wasn't already committed to a monogamous relationship. (Which is why I voted number 3, although I don't think 'satisfaction' had anything to do with it)

I call that being single and not wanting to start a family or needing to be co-dependent in any way. What would it matter if two people totally have trust between each other and spend enough quality time together that suits the other or others. They used to call that swingers. As humans we are perfectly capable of form deep emotional bonds for the long or short term with one or more persons - which can constitute and extended family. It's not always about sexual fidelity. I think in the future the roles of families will have radically changed. The US is 50 years behind European families, probably because of the influence of religion on culture and it's identity.

Because we mate for pleasure as well as for procreation, polyamory feeds our hedonistic desires. From an anthropological point of view, though, it makes more instinctual sense for males to want to control individual female access to sex in order to stifle competition, all the while spreading himself as far and wide as possible. Meanwhile, females tend to gravitate toward the most successful males (the definition of success being very fluid and dependent upon culture) but do not necessarily need those same men to be the providers. Successful men who have many suitors are not always the most reliable or dependable.

When you think about these factors carefully enough, you can see they explain everything about how sex works in our society, including all the apparent chaos.

I'm typical male, so yes, I have to admit that deep down I would prefer to mate with as many women as I am capable of attracting...BUT reproductive success in our society dictates I settle down with one or two and stay faithful. It's a sufficient, satisfactory compromise.

Why hedonistic? Why not with the proclivities from evolution that no longer needs to move beyond procreation? We could certainly be satisfied when there is enough political and religious will to help societies at risk to save themselves instead of trying to have relationships as prescribed by their god or government.

Many of us have already experienced a polyamorous relationship, just not on our part.

Yes, with the right people.

I got a match on Tinder telling me about her boyfriend. I asked her why she swiped right if she has a boyfriend. She said she was polymourus and her boyfriend approved of me also. We were soon unmatched. No thank you.

I absolutely would. I'm not attracted to women, but I could share a man, I do actually, but I'm the secret other woman, I would love for him to be able to tell her about me but she would end their marriage if she ever found out. I had my heart broken (15 year marriage) a couple years ago and I learned about myself that I still have lots of love to give, what I lost was my faith in forever love. In possessive love. I long to be able to love who want without anyone trying to own anyone and without any lies.

Polyamorous should not mean irresponsible. Perhaps more responsible than monogamous persons indulging in affairs or using prostitutes. But it is based on people being open and loving to each other.

I find the mainstream legal/moral position in many countries towards bigamy and fornication more puzzling.

One on one relationships are challenging enough but I can see the up side to polyamourous relationships.

I was with a guy who was into this sort of relationship. Except, at the time I didn't know it. I found out by a friend that he was screwing another girl, and I knew he didn't like to use condoms so I had MAJOR problems with this. If you're going to screw different people let them know because ain't nobody trying to share diseases and shit. I also find it disrespectful to not tell the person, sooo. Never again though. I'm just too territorial for all that mess.

The risk of contracting a std or genital wart are high enough why compound the risk? The other factor is jealousness of you attention will ultimately create tension.

The idea of polyamorous life is usually mutually commited between all the individuals involved. Unless someone is cheating there is no more risk than with two people. As for jealousy. If you have it then you probably are not cut out to try it in the first place.

Several in my younger years. I don't know how "amorous" it was... it was more like the 70's free love, hippie stuff... it was all good. One married couple and I for a couple years. But it goes way back to childhood, but that is a completely different topic.

Fryan Level 5 Jan 1, 2018

Nothing against it in theory, have even dabbled in it but have also seen what happens when you get an attention thief in the mix and that can get nasty.

Kimba Level 7 Jan 1, 2018

It's weird how I have this situation. In my last two previous relationship, I was being used and it was expensive. So, I put it out to the universe, I want to be in total control of my next relationship. And it happened... I got into a relationship with a submissive. She told me, she has to be monogamous and I get to do whatever I want. Ok, great! But I noticed she tried to subtly manipulate/control me into monogamous relationship. I would have to order her to find me another girl and I know she would do it, but I'm not ready for that level of drama in my life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11858
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.