Agnostic.com

46 6

Would you rather work day shifts, night shifts or graveyard shifts?

I personally always preferred the day shift where I work 7 am to 3 pm. I was on night shifts for about three years where I worked 2 pm to 3 pm, 2 pm to 11 pm or 3 pm to 11 pm and absolutely hated it! Felt like I had no kind of life and my life consisted of sleeping during the day and up at night.

EmeraldJewel 7 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Days

Marine Level 8 June 30, 2018

In my 30 plus years in the computer operations business, i spent many years on each and every shift and each has its good and bad points. working night shift used to pay a shift differential, in the 10 to 15% range, so THAT was always a big factor. Plus in the computer operation business there was just about always overtime, especially at month end, quarter end and year end, when so many critical reports were due. for a few years in southern california i worked graveyard and slept out by the pool for about 5 or so hours most days and really soaked up some awesome rays and had a GREAT tan. I also had all day, when I wanted to run errands and take care of any business. There were MANY nights I went to work without any sleep, because something or other came up and sleep had to be rescheduled, and many times there was no time left !!!! I did learn many things on graveyard shift, if you had something to do in the day time, DO IT ASAP, otherwise u will sit in a chair and be out like a light !!! and on weekends, don't try being a regular human, because your system will have a very difficult time getting back to 3rd shift routine !!!!

On 2nd shift, 4pm until midnight, i would find myself still sitting around until 3,4 or even 5 in the morning watching tv and the days would be wasted. so it really depends on what type person you are, how disciplined you are and what you priorities are.

for anyone who thinks shifts are bad, while i was in the USAF as a security guard, we worked rotating shifts. it began with 3 4pm to midnight shifts, then a 24 hour break from midnight until the following midnight, then there were 3 midnight to 8 am shifts, with another 24 hour break from 8 am until next day at 8 am, and then 3 days of 8 am to 4 pm shifts, and then you got a 72 hour break, from 4 pm on your last day shift, off the following day and reporting back to work at 4 pm the next day to begin all over again !!!! two of those cycles took about an entire month, talk about time flying !!!!! And I worked those crazy hours and days in Minot, North Dakota and had to deal with temperatures as low as 25 below zero with a 20 mile an hour wind !!!!!! I learned that things could always get much worse than you had ever envisioned, and I had grown up in Buffalo !!!! After my time in North Dakota, Buffalo was like Hawaii by comparison !!!!

The shift I work now is my ALL TIME FAVORITE !!!!! I retired 3 years ago and now TIME IS MINE !!!!!! LOL

I've heard that gravediggers prefer the last one...

I've worked overnights for the better part of the last 15 years and I've loved it.

The 3pm-11pm shift is the worst because you pretty much have to give up your social life. At least us night people, who head to work around 10-11pm, can enjoy getting together with friends in the evening now and then

Nights and graveyards. I'm not a morning person.

I'm usually awake and ready to go by 5:00 am, so I'm a morning person. If I have customers lined up, I'm usually at my first job of the day by 7:30 am.

If it's like the last two weeks have been, I sit in my house and stare at the wall for 12 hours a day waiting for my company to assign me work.

Night shifts cause problems with circadian rhythms and hormones. This can lead to cancer in some people which is why Denmark, I think, has introduced legislation which limits night shift work.

[theguardian.com]

I work nights but I will transition over to days sometime in the near future.

I've always loved 2nd shift. Currently working 5pm-1am and love it.

I need to know what the pay differential is.

It depends on the job. As a general rule, I prefer a midday shift (like 10-7 or 11-8). That way I miss out on most of rush hour, still get to sleep in for a bit, and am still able to go out in the evening.

I'd say some kind of split shift that allows for an afternoon nap.

I prefer the graveyard shift. I feel like I’ve physically aged 20 years over the last year from being on an early shift. I hate sunlight. It gives me headaches.

PaulD Level 5 Aug 28, 2018

Morning shift...even though I hate waking up early.

Honestly? I'd rather not work at all. Love retirement. However, when I was working (and single), I absolutely loved 2nd shift. I could do so many things during the day, like go to (regular) school, go surfing, do errands, etc., without the restrictions and/or interference (crowds) common in the evenings or on weekends.

I work nights too. I love it less bull from bosses. And I live in Texas so you I have seen squirrels catch fire from the sun. Best of luck.

Mokvon Level 8 June 30, 2018

After years of indentured servitude to large law firms... I now work from 10-3pm. ?? spend a lot of time with the kids, the dog and myself!

If I can't set my own hours, then definitely graveyard. I actually had energy at work when I was scheduled for graveyard, as opposed to the absolute torture AM shift was.

When I was working, I preferred the evening shift (4pm - 12:30am or 6pm - 2:30am). I worked the midnight to 8:30am for about 6 months and swore I would never work it again unless my job depended on it.

Second shift is what I always liked. Cause you could stay up till 2am or make court at 8am! Win win! Lmao

KennyB Level 3 June 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118593
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.