Agnostic.com

6 0

What method do you use to determine whether your beliefs are true?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You examine all the evidence and then you can use the balance of probability test. As you can only prove a positive and not a negative it is not possible to prove that God doesn’t exist, the best we can say is that there is no evidence that he does.

I throw something into the air and say some magic words like abracadabra and if Isaac Newton's laws still apply I know magic is a fiction.

azzow2 Level 9 June 30, 2018

As a reality check I like the scientific method but I also have the sense to do a gut check as well. Believe half of what you see with your own eyes and none of what you hear.

"Search your feelings. You know it to be true." - Darth Vader

gater Level 7 June 30, 2018

Love that line but logically it's fallible.

@EmpathyRonnie Of course you are right, but there does seem to be some truth to this - like the expression "does it ring true"?

I have used always a balance of cognition and intuition, enhanced by ongoing learning, research. I also trust that if and when i have to know, i will. I've never been disappointed.

I also have a large helping of acceptance that i can not know all things, or even everything i don't know, so some things i just accept on trust and faith.

I try to keep in mind that beliefs can (and often should) change. Logically speaking odds are very good that at least some of what I believe is true at any given time actually isn't true.

And that's necessarily a fault of mine.

I may simply have learned it wrong or learned from someone misinformed or even it simply is no longer true. I find it more important to look at how a belief changes the world around it. Looking at its implications help me far more than examining it alone...and often help me determine its truth besides.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.