Agnostic.com

11 1

Lonely Cures?

What are some cures for loneliness? It seems so difficult to cope and plan anything.

Mom-goddess 6 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, learn how to be alone relying on someone else to amuse you will not get you very far. Could always read some fiction that can be entering.

azzow2 Level 9 June 30, 2018

I hear you and am sorry for your pain. I found this blogpost helpful. Your past comments mention that a lot of losses, and perhaps a grief support group cloudless be useful. [huffingtonpost.com]

UUNJ Level 8 June 30, 2018

I think you are right about grief support. I am seeing a counselor now.

@Mom-goddess Good for you. I have found therapy helpful at tough times in my life.

In my case, I love being single and doing things alone. My problem is allowing someone into my life to clog up my fun.

But if you prefer being with people, you can google local community groups near you, perhaps ones that do things you already enjoy doing-book club, bird watching, sewing, musical instruments, hiking, ballroom dancing, traveling to local museums, etc.

Also, depending on your health, volunteering helping to clean up parks, clear national park trails, serving food at soup kitchens, visiting nursing homes, etc.

Yes I tried some meetups. I have read as much almost as I want to for summer reading. I like being around people and some of the meetups just didn't work out/.

I use a website called meetup.com where you can search for groups near your area for hobbies such as photography or hiking. Pretty much anything. This way you can meet up with people with specific interests.

First of all, learn how to be your own favorite company. You are the best friend you'll ever have.

Also, find something social to do outside of work. For me, its karaoke every Saturday night.

I'm trying

For me , easy ones when I don't want to be around people : guitar and sing to my cats, get into a good book - with cat on lap, go for a hike in the woods, kayak, go online.

A bit more of an effort : go see a non-sad movie, yard work, go to the gym, go for a random drive, wander around Goodwill and try on ugly clothes that make me laugh (or groan ...)

Involving others : or visit an upbeat friend, go see a live or concert, take myself out for a meal, wander a public park and chat up strangers, do something for someone else.

Volunteer work. Video games. Contact with family. Trying something new. I got my first tattoo ever last week.

Deb57 Level 8 June 30, 2018

Biking and reading.

Being alone is good, fun great.
Being lonely sucks.
I guess I have a few people in my world but other than those I consider my kids I don't have any more than the most basic interaction.
Yay, I have holidays in 6 weeks, first time in years.
Lots of places I could go,
nowhere I want to go alone.
Coping is helped by being busy, particularly on something positive,
something that improves your situation,
in my case gardening as I only grow food,
saves me money later.
At least then I am less depressed and getting ahead a little.

Agreed. When working I'm busy and it is better. I know I like to travel too, but not alone.

Get a dog then you won't be lonely ever again lol.

I had a dog that died last August. We never had a way to take him in order to leave on a trip or vacation. I love dogs, just not ready for that right now again.

Get a cat. No, TWO cats.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.