Agnostic.com

8 3

If our belief as agnostics is specifically defined as I do not know what form God may be? Does this mean there is equal credibility deserved to be credited to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

DavidLaDeau 8 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ironically, without intention, I have found myself defending the FSM using tactics I learned as a fundamentalist. This has been entertaining and I hope instructive. We can justify anything we want, we can deceive yourself about anything despite the facts. I think this has turned into a great thought experiment in theist thinking. Thank you all for your participation!

All myths, superstitions are equal; yes... they are ALL real fantasies.

First I am an athiest/agnostic, meaning that it depends on whether you ask me if there is a God or do you believe in a God?
Personally I would that you couldn't argue the existence of either God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the invisable pink unicorn, so I would say that it's up to you on what you believe what form God takes; if it were up to me then I would say takes the forms of atoms.

What's the point in making up definitions?

Simple question/response: To facilitate the shared symbolism we call language.

@BobFenner And you think making up definitions instead of using established definitions help? Okay then, I say agnostic means not atheist or theist. Pfft.

Mmmm; should stick with either proscriptive (the way it's s'posed to be) or descriptive def.s... The Oxford et al. I do have a classics minor from my first degree (didn't come pre-perforated for use), so, do recall the bit re derivation... as in "not knowing" for a-gnostic. Will have to look up the lexicon def...: "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God." I interpret this last as indicating that an agnostic person IS or IS NOT atheistic. So; we're in agreement.

Dictionaries do not necessarily actually adequately define a word according to usage. They are often flatly wrong in the areas of science and religion. People whom write dictionaries are not experts in any particular field only in language. For example they could simply not "know" exactly what the meaning of every term in every sport means. So they do their best and approximate. There is a huge difference in, I do not believe in God or I do not believe there is a God. Yet both meanings may be alternated in the definition of atheist. These may seem to be unimportant nuances to those whom are not atheist, but represent major theological differences. So it is very important for us to define very clearly exactly what we mean when we use certain words.

In that context, yes.

If the FSM is indeed running the show, things make so much more sense

All hail the sacred colander!

Need to see physical proof of Flying Spaghetti Monster. lol.

Well if you want to worship something that there is physical proof of and from which all life eminates and is kept alive by, worship the sun but don't forget your cream, the touch of your god will burn if you stay to long in his presence. And don't try to gaze upon your god or you may go blind, LOL

I have enjoyed his shed appendages both with the blood of tomatoes and also with garlic and oil. Something must be responsible for those shed appendages...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.