Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I now many religious people, but I can't recall conversation coming up. Perhaps it's the urban west coast.

Give them my favorite quote by Hugo Betti. To Believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair and there will be wonderful surprises. Better yet look up George Carlin who does a great show on Religion which is on You Tube. Tell them you belong to Bart Erhmans Bible Study Group which is on You Tube also. He is a Theology Professor at Chapel Hill SC, and used to be very religious and is now an Atheist or Agnostic. He has some great presentations. Lewis Black has one on the Old Testament which is another classic. What these people lack is the ability to defend what they call religion and they are what was termed by another famous Theologian who used the term "cadaver catholics" as people who go and sit in Church every Sunday and believe everything that is preached to them and then come back again next week and do the same thing. I will spare my take on the Fundamentalists who scare me because those Bible Thumpers get a bit carried away and they can be scary. I like to tell people that I'm spiritual which can mean anything and everything and applies to every person atheists especially.

"Hey, im Agnostic". "Whats that?" "Basically it means I'm Atheist, but I admit I could be wrong"

That's why there is no dog you could be wrong about being Agnostic

I just tell them that I am "your friendly neighborhood atheist".

Everyone I know is already aware that I am an atheist. I've had many conversations though, while having a drink at the bar with people who inevitably, bring up their religion in one way or another and at that point I let them know that I'm an atheist. Probably why I can't find a date.

I would just tell them and have popcorn ready for when/if they over react to it.

You should not have to. In fact, we should not know that they are religious unless we are religious too and were on a site, or at a place similar to this😉

I drop the I was born on Christmas and that my dad use to be a pastor that gives me a refrece

I usually tell them that I just believe in one less god than they do.

Good job make them think

Unless they are Hindus?

You Don't Tell them. Let them deduce it - only when it matters . Keep them guessing by playing games and you will expos their methods of thinking .

There is little reason for wearing your religious belief on your sleeve. Atheism doesn't require you to go out in the world and create converts. If the subject should come up, just say, "I am an atheist." If they try to persuade you to change. Let them know that you expect them to respect your coice, as well as you respect their choice. If they persist, fart a few times and leave.

Religion = flatulence. ...I direct believers to the toilets to flush and wash ....that's how I became an American Atheist

don't offer your answer until asked but yes just say that if you are

Well, I'm agnostic and I just tell them that I'm not religious. Even if I live in the Bible belt, until now it never gave any problems. Just an understanding okay, or something like that.

Gert Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

After that I told Jehova Witnesses that today on a parking lot, the ladies urged me that I really had to think things over again.

Just don't tell them to 'Go to Hell.' LOL

Don't bother

Also, I just say I'm not religious. Never be rude or insulting.

Get friends that don't judge. Some of my best friends are very religious and some are atheist. I live near a major city and people just don't care.

I tell them "I wasted time in church every Sunday because afterward my mom would take me and my son out for a steak dinner and dessert. I never turn down a free meal." I feel that pretty much makes my point.

"I don't share your faith."

Normally I try to avoid 'religion' confrontations but if I am pressed I will tell them that they do not realize what they are getting themselves into and if they persist I will verbally crucify them!!!

Why can,t we follow the family tree off any of the main characters in that bible ( part deux) for those who don,t speak french "part 2" well okay I mean christian simple question right?

I just tell the truth. I'm an atheist. When I get the questions about who I believe in I just tell them look, there is no god, no devil, no heaven, no hell, there is just this earth we live on and we need to take care of it and each other. When they pick their chins up from the floor we either go on about our business or sometimes I find a new friend.

Don't bother, it is none of their business. Why discuss a topic based on childish fairy tales ?

I'm sorry you are besieged. ....keeping xians out of your face is different from attracting other Atheists out of their closets amidst the clamor....a roll of the dice. ....there is no magic path to freedom FROM RELIGION. ... the most tacit yet symbolic invitation to other Atheists IS TO WEAR A PANSY pensee' flower or metal pin the global symbol of KNOWLEDGE not belief. ...an American Atheist Orbit symbol is a carbon atom design with the center electron path chopped at the bottom resembling a cursive A with block letter A affixed as the nucleus. ....my personal favorite is a no parking button red slash and circle over the gibberish sound "god"....I always say: " I am NOT religious I am a scientist I am an Atheist if asked belief questions. ...quote Mark Twain : " faith is believing what ya know ain’t so "

Sometimes it is easy to drop into conversation, sometimes not.

Sometimes I wear a T-shirt or jewelry that out me before I open my mouth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.