Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Skeptic,,, seems like a better word choice than atheist when talking to Bible bumpers

A big part of my atheism, and my humanism, is honesty and a will to live life in a self-respecting manner. I really do not see why I have to change the way I speak, or why I have to use euphemisms in consideration of their delicate ego or fragile beliefs. Why having such considerations toward them when they do not extend the same considerations toward us?

It depends on what they are saying and if they are addressing me. If they are looking to me for any kind of response to their religious talk, I will say I am an atheist.

So it's not a good idea to say "your religion is a load of crap, and so are you" even if they're not addressing me? 😛

@bingst It's a great idea!..... Not ?

@thislife Still doesn't keep me from thinking it, no matter how hard I have to bite my tongue. 😛

@bingst I know. It's so frustrating that nonsense is the "norm".

I'm honest and just tell whomever the truth when asked if I believe. The reactions I get are priceless sometimes. The next question is usually, " Well what do you believe in?"

Since the word atheist has negative vive to it. For some reason. I would just say "There is not enough evidence for me to accept X religion"

Well, I say, let us rescue the word and get it out of that undeserved place in our lexicon (the lesson given to us by our LGBT brothers and sisters should serve as an example and inspiration). Let us not allow the believer to define atheism. I say that I am an atheist, and I tell them why.

And also, believe atheists are brave individuals by definition. As atheists, we have to take full responsibility for our actions and accept all their consequences knowing full well that there is no superpower that will come to save us. I enjoyed that protection when I was five and my father carried me on his shoulders; I am no longer five, my father is no longer here to protect me, I now protect myself, I don’t need my father, I don’t need a god. As atheists we know that when our bodies reach the end of their functionality, that’s it, and we accept that end without the need of a promise of an afterlife. As strong and loving individuals, we love ourselves and have people that love us; we don’t need the love of an non-existing being. As strong individuals, we are at ease in solitude; we don’t need the promise of ever loyalty. As atheists we know life has no other meaning but the one we want to give to our lives. As atheists we don’t need a powerful god, we are powerful over our lives. This is the description of brave person, and we are the few.
And this is why the wind “atheist” should not have a negative vibe! 🙂

I don't proselytize but I answer truthfully and don't get defensive if asked. The only problem I have had is "...so are you an atheist an agnostic?" Then if I explain that I self-refer as atheist but agnostic is probably more accurate since nobody KNOWS there is no superior intelligent being, they say, "So! You're saying there might be a ?" Aaaand the discussion then goes downhill...

I think you will find you are not " surrounded by Christians" as you think, the number of " Nones " is growing rapidly in the US. The figure is over 20% now and growing, although they may still be " spiritual " , what ever that means.

I am lucky, I live in the UK. in My 30's when someone told me they where Christian I used to reply " Oh! How unfortunate for you! " , I have mellowed a bit now.

I really don't care what strangers think...I don't know, I don't have answers, I don't make up answers. That's what I'd tell them, and I don't do "faith".

If you're interested in explaining to christians why you believe what you believe, say something. If, after a couple of go-rounds, you find it easier just to let it slide, then just let it slide. Personally, I dislike face-to-face confrontation (it's almost certain to head in that direction) & when someone tells me they're christian, I just nod & smile, then change the subject as quickly as possible. If they persist, I excuse myself.

Sometimes, if I want to avoid offense, I will say,
"I have my own beliefs about spiritual matters. I like to be free to pick my own beliefs rather than have to stick to what some organized religion preaches."

If confronted, I would personally use the term 'non-believer'. It hasn't happened very often in my life. I think of it as a private quality about myself that most people don't know unless they know me well. For example, at work, I doubt it will ever come up. Anyway, I don't have the energy to battle it out with Christians to explain my values and my lack of belief. But if it comes up in conversation, I will identify as an atheist. There have been instances where people are quite surprised to find out my identity and it has been met with curiosity and a bit of awkwardness. I am not a spiritual person but I have some empathy for the people who do still use religious belief to cope with their lives. Members of my family and extended family range from moderately to 'severely' (ha ha) Christian. It is something to navigate on a case by case basis, I think.

No, you are doing it right, tell them you are an Atheist with pride and humility at same time: they tell us that nonsense all the time!

Personally I like to beat around the bush a little bit. I tell them that I'm a theist and don't believe in any deity.and if they know the definition of those two words I'll come out and say I'm an atheist. Remember they're the ones being dishonest they're asserting something to be true which is evidently not true, they're the ones being dishonest, I'm proud of the fact that I'm not ignorant and gullible enough to swallow all this supernatural nonsense.

I believe spiritualy that there is something out there. Some form us energy that guides us in this life. To me death meens freedom.

I don't tell anyone, just keep it to myself.don't see any point letting everyone know. I am more if a closet atheist.

I live in the Philippines and as we know, this is a very devout catholic country because of the huge influenced by the Spaniards during their colonization here from 1565-1898. I am an agnostic, previously atheist well, if there is a better way to tell the religious people, I think we must explain to them clearly about our personal beliefs using the majesty of science. In other words, a very passionate rationalistic views.

It is a .......well.........cross.........we have to bear. In my many years of being antitheist I have had to tell many people I am atheist. Usually, I just say I am atheist. What are you afraid of? You do not have the burden of defense. If you are lucky they will ask you questions and you will answer them cordially. If telling them has no benefit to you or it irrelevant then don't bother.

I don't.
I may discuss my views with them if they ask, but I'm not going out of my way to label myself for anyone.

If they ask what denomination I am, I say "Oh, I'm not religious." If they press, I tell them that my parents are not religious and neither were my grandparents. I never set foot into a church until I attended a concert in one when I was a teenager. Most people leave it at that, some "judge" me with commentary. One of my students calls me a "heathen" tongue in cheek, I know he cares for me 🙂

I don’t. I live my life an an example of a good and decent human being. When asked, I tell them the truth and most are a bit shocked. I point out examples of human misery and demise throughout history and ask them, “why”.

I generally don’t offer information about things I am not unless specifically asked. I wouldn’t tell someone I don’t believe in chiropractic practices just because they said they use one.

Respond only when asked...

I'm in the same boat so to speak, I live in a very religious neighborhood of Christians and Muslims, there's no tension between the two groups but they both get hostile or upset when I mention that I'm not religious. So I just keep quiet about it, if you don't want to be harassed I would recommend just staying quiet about it and just have close family and friends know about it. Try to find a group or small community to be your complete self in.

Maybe just mentioning that ' it is not my thing, ' would suffice?

The fact that you do not want to engage with Christians says more about their likely intolerance than their love for you.A true follower of Jesus would listen to your views however antipathetic they were to his or her faith without rancour in the hope that you may see the light one day.Even if you made it clear that you cannot envisage circumstances in which a leap of faith would be possible your believer interlocutor should should continue to hope you may change your mind whilst holding out the hand of friendship.If anger is the reaction to the communication of your views try someone else but do not give up.You do not live in Iran or parts of Indonesia but in the USA which guarantees freedom of speech

I agree with this completely. Like any group there are assholes and decent folk. All of my Christian friends recognize my views and respect me enough not to preach. I in return respect their right to believe what they want as well.

@Quarm it seems nowadays we cannot have a rational conversation with religious fundamentalists as any criticism of their beliefs causes them to take immediate offence closing down any further meaningful communication.The reaction is even more pronounced if any reference to texts that call for violence against sinners or apostates as many adherents of the world’s major religions would prefer to avoid such teachings and emphasise the positive humane aspects of their beliefs such as the giving of alms to the poor and loving one’s neighbour.

Agnostic can be a easier way as most religious people understand what agnostic is. Atheist is moor taboo and also misunderstood more so with out the chance to explain your beliefs they could presume some stupid idea about what that really means. I say Atheist whenever possible. Mainly to draw out any misconceptions but this can be riskier as could leave someone ignorant believing very incorrect info about you.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.