Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (576 - 600)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just usually say I have no religion and no gods if I do not know the people. I only use the word Atheist with people I know. All my friends and family know my views (most of my family is super religious). I cannot believe the stigma behind that word in the US.

Unless they come at me with "I am a Christian (or Jew or Muslim or whatever)", I don't feel it necessary to make it part of my "getting to know me" spiel. Really, don't most people just exchange names and jobs and talk about families and whatnot? If they are that aggressive that they have to introduce themselves with their religious belief, then just do it back. Otherwise, if it eventually comes up in conversation, then just say it. Theists have no problem stating their religion, or where they attend church, etc. Why should you?

I found if it comes up it's easiest to just say I'm an atheist. If I skirt around it or sound like I'm "only doubtful" I'll get an earful of how god loves you and don't worry god has a plan. Atheist seems to make people go quiet right away.

Only if someone asks directly will I mention it. Otherwise, it's my own personal belief, and I have no business pushing it on others.

I do not push my beliefs on others.

I live in the Bible Belt so I'm far more comfortable telling people that I'm a Unitarian Universalist. The overwhelming majority of people have no idea what that is. And I could give a very basic vague definition.

We once had a tiny atheist organization in town. Several years ago most decided they would try out the "Unitarian Chruch" to increase the size of the social group. I followed the group to the Unitarian church only once. While there I had a long and adversarial discussion with two of the church’s Unitarians (they were members and held paid positions in the church) who also happened to be theists adhering to the Jewish faith. I was not polite and forced them to defend (Judges 11:29-40) in short, Jephthah kills and Burns His (virgin) daughter to fulfil his promise to Yahweh. And yes, they both defended the morality of their god having Jephthah burn his daughter because their god likes the smell of burning flesh.

@NoMagicCookie that sucks. For the most part I found u.u to be great. In raleigh our minister was an agnostic, the associate minister was pagan. Most of the congregation didn't give a shit what anyone believed. We have no crosses or bibles in our church .

@Kojaksmom Think it was Jen Peoples on The atheist experience (worth watching most all episodes) did a very good review of UU. It is long, well reasoned, and for the most part concluded UU is not a positive influence.

@NoMagicCookie I'm sure that's true for some. I found some atheist to be the biggest assholes that I've ever met. I found other atheists that are the most amazing people. If your church makes you feel like s*** it's not the right one. There are reasons why I appreciate the Unitarian Fellowship in Raleigh.so far I've been really happy with it. And no I do not believe in God or the bible and I hate most organized religions.

won't say a word but keep looking at them with a strange made up smile.
they will crawl away like a crab

I don't usually tell them unless someone asks, luckily I don't live in the bible belt so it wouldnt come as a shock to most people, as I think there are more like me than not. I do wear a nice dainty sterling silver " A" pendant but no one has asked about it except for a very good friend, who us ultra catholic (she is from texas if that tells you anything, although shes not in your face religious) I was a bit worried about upsetting her as I heard that she's praying for me (yikes) I told her the pendant was for my middle name. Not sure if she knew I was lying, but she said nothing. I will tell her later the truth, but hey, catholics are used to being lied to anyway so how is my lie any different!

I am not an atheist I'm not agnostic I'm an Orthodox Jew

I generally wait for them to bring it up. I don't get to the point right away, but eventually I will tell them if they ask enough questions. I like to make people feel comfortable around me before I shock them with my beliefs.

I really feel sorry for you people. Stay strong. Believe what you believe.

I don't, unless I am pressured to state my thoughts. I'm not into unnecessary conflict and it does create conflict.

In casual social encounters, I usually don't, b/c that just leads down a long, ugly road. If it is someone I know and respect, I roughly outline what I think about reality (this usually comes up by comparing tattoos lol.) I only pause on the atheist part when I am explaining how certain I am that the christian god of western culture is based on tribal myths and superstition, a remnant that has stubbornly remained part of our culture.

I laugh hysterically when they start talking about their belief system.

I don’t bring it up unless they ask. I wish I could be more open about it.

I think we are all aware that Political Correctness has found its way into most interpersonal communications. It seems the purpose behind this is to avoid giving offence to any other human being or group relating to their physical attributes or intellectual processes. This princip!e is currently applied in issues regarding, behaviour, social interaction, political affiliations and religious bliefs; but is often ignored in discussions regarding religious issues. Many religious believers (and "pretend" believers) feel justified in responding quickly and strongly critically to the statement '" am an atheist" or "I am not convinced that there is a god". This reaction varies from criticism to the death penalty in some countries. Is it possible that the self righteous brainwashing at all stages in a religious is so strong that the offended person is outraged to a point where it seems justified

You would probably have to say something like "I'm an atheist" No doubt then. Everyone can move on.

I say I am of no faith I am an atheist.

I usually let the conversation lead there in a somewhat natural way. Like if they say some religious expression or thought, I question it and point out fallacies until they think I either really, really love asking questions, or realize I must not believe in what they are saying.

I just don't bring it up. If I do, I simply say that I am secular or I say that I am unaffiliated. Then I leave it at that.

If the question comes up or when approached by <choose religion> door knockers.

When religious try to talk it to me...I ask, " How are things in the world of fantasy ?" Sorry, to me life is either reality or religion, absolutely cannot be both...

I'm a spiritual person

I generally keep my mouth shut as I have a lot of religous friends.

I would not say i'm an athiest. I believe in a "creator".....I just don't believe in the biblical god.....and Jesus and all that bullshit....."the lake of fire" satan......the list goes on and on....I do believe in reincarnation too. Stevenson did some great studies on that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.