Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (601 - 625)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If not ask no problem,if asked then yes

I would not tell you to go out of the closet before feeling safe.
If the community is toxic to atheism, just don't be religious and tell if asked.
If you feel safe, just act as one, the question will come naturally.

I don't have one way of saying it. there are occasions on which the subject may come up. i might say "i'm an atheist" or i might say "i hold no gods" or, when appropriate, "i'm not christian" (which may then be followed by clarification -- but it DOES tend to be christians who bring such things up). if asked, i certainly am open. if not asked, i might mention it myself, depending on the context, or not. i don't introduce myself "hi, i'm an atheist" but i tend to let people know if i have a continuing relationship of any kind. there are no circumstances under which i lie about it.

g

Say what ever you want.... I am an Atheist. I am not religious. I am a secularist. I am not a violent believer. What the world needs now is science, not alleged gawds that are worthless, doing absolutely nothing to prevent harm or cure disease.... It is up to us Atheists to make a better world the religious fanatics have fucked up so badly the last 10 thousand years of shamanism, patriarchy, crusades, pogroms and priestly rape of children....not to mention the scientists who have been arrested, censored and murdered for proving religion wrong on everything

I don’t like to stir up the Christain’s to much as we conservatives need their help in order to beat the left wing liberals. Trump has figured that one out and that’s a big reason he’s been so successful.

Trump didn't figure much of anything out. He's only a symptom of what is going on in America today.

@DenoPenno He’s president isn’t he?? People in my home town were so disgusted after 8 years of Obama Trump carried 87% of the vote and even higher in some areas.

@Trajan61 People in your hometown must be racist. I don't know WTF else to tell you.

@DenoPenno Hillary Clinton is not black so no I don’t think they’re racist.

@Trajan61 I'm sorry, Trajan. I'm having trouble figuring out how Hillary Clinton fits into this conversation. I thought you were talking about 8 years of Obama. You are not making any sense here.

**I don't bother to .

If and when the topic comes up I find that I am most interested in revealing the fact that I am not Christian so that is what I say. That seems to draw less of a reaction than saying I am agnostic.

OCJoe Level 6 Aug 23, 2018

If they are strongly religious and I don't want to frighten them, I will refer to myself as a non-beliver rather than an atheist. For some reason it seems to be a more acceptable term.

I just tell them, I'm not terribly worried about what they think, and if they can't accept it that's on them.

I'm not saying it to people I don't know already, generally only been under certain circumstances,
or unless they ask me directly.

The last couple I had at the door, I told them I was 100% atheist. They said “oh” looked somewhat scared and walked away.

ZelB Level 3 Aug 20, 2018

I normally don’t share unless i am asked my religion or I feel that the person is open to talking to an Athiest. Some times I tell people I am a humanist, “good without god”. But Athiest has a stigma that makes it hard. Recently I have been telling people I am an Athiest, but it can get awkward. ?

Naturally they will try and say there is a gawd, I counter with asking what they learned about 1492 in school. After a few seconds the rhyme in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue will pop out. I then explain that in 1492 many people still believed the earth was flat, something we know today to be ridiculous. I then point out that 1492 was only slightly more than 500 hundred years ago. A long time, but not a real long time, and that if people were that naive that recent, just imagine what they would fall for 2000 years ago.
Then there's the whole issue of non-flying birds (Penguins) in Antarctica and how the Ark must have swung by and dropped them off. (Hey, anti-Ark-tica, thats funny)

"I then explain that in 1492 many people still believed the earth was flat, something we know today to be ridiculous."

Nope, the flat earth movement is alive and well. Also Columbus was a greedy racist who committed genocide and never set foot on continental America. Sorry pet peev.

Noah also had the issue of the marsupials in Australia, the Buffalo in North America, and the layer of salt that would be spread over all landmasses. Busy guy.

The problem is that belief is a moving target. It is part of the "negative space" surrounding scientific thought.

It depends on the situation. If they're set in their ways about religion I tend not to speak on it.

I generally stick to discussing the the things I DO believe in, and if asked, tell people I struggle with religion (which is 100% true). Because of where I'm from, it's just a natural response for people to tell me to "pray about it" or "leave it to God." I choose to respect their beliefs and don't belittle people for those statements because I know it comes from a place of love, even if I don't believe in it myself. And to answer another commenter's question: Yes, believers deserve respect just as much as any other human being. If we went around persecuting every member of a group because of what SOME people in that group did in the name of religion, then we can't expect to be respected either.

I am an Atheist.

I am totally happy to "leave it to God". Just not going waste time while I am waiting.

My advice is move! Run!! Dont let em get ya?

Let the discussion first moving and after few exchanges, the other guy will eventually found out you are not a Christian believer. And that makes the discussion interesting for me without deviating from the topic.

Depends on the tone of the conversation and whether I am asked or not. I have no problem telling people what I believe but I have a slightly more tactful way to put it if I feel it may be offensive to come right out and say I don't believe in God or religion. I mean I will tell some I am atheist or agnostic but if I don't feel like it is a theological discussion or sharing of ideas and beliefs I prefer to say something like below.
I generally say something like God has not yet graced me with his presence but I don't feel like I am lost

If they ask, yes, tho where I live that isn't a common question. If I'm discussing religious issues it isn't hard to tell I'm a non-believer even if I don't say so.

When I was working for a company where most of the officers and managers were Jewish we had a department luncheon. One of the Christian employees for some reason started talking about Jesus being god. Silence fell at the table . He was sitting next me and turned to be and something to the effect of "Don't you believe that?" I answered "No, I do not believe that Jesus was God." My boss, a Jews, got a look on his face that was priceless to me. My response was just a natural one. I was asked a question and answered it.

Being an atheist is only a part of what one is so I see no reason to be confrontational about it but if asked just be yourself.

If they ask me, I just tell them.

I don't. If they're visiting, all they have to do is look at my bookshelf to figure it out. I did have a nurse, who watches my boys overnight, ask me if I was.

I don't. If they're visiting, all they have to do is look at my bookshelf to figure it out. I did have a nurse, who watches my boys overnight, ask me if I was.

I’m pretty sure they can tell.

I say 'I'm atheist'. As long as they understand English, it works well.

Around here, if you are antitheist, never let them know where you live. You'll have a flaming cross on your lawn!

Yes I was attacked by the KKK in Iowa when my DIAL AN Atheist 2 minutes msg went out and I took both live and recorded incoming calls 515 266 6133 the FBI refused to do a voice print analysis letting the perp xians run free across Amerikkka

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.