Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (676 - 700)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the subject comes up--surprising how seldom that is, given where I live--I just say I'm not a believer. Conversations usually move one to more interesting topics.

I personally am somewhat of a believer. As in I believe in a god but not so much in religion.

DDBLC Level 1 Nov 27, 2017

Faith in God yes not holy book religions. Some evolution God played a role in. Souls spirit are from God given to humans. Use logical reasoning in positive ways focus forward. Pro choice and pro life both. Science and God. All starter knowledge and skills is from evolution and God. All our natural given abilities can be used for good.

If I'm speaking to a religious fanatic at my front door who tries to put me down for my non-religious thinking, I usually tell them to stick their stupid religion where the sun never shines and go on down the street. To all others I simply state that I am not religious.

I announce at the earliest convenience that I am a card carrying, flag waving atheist. Then I explain that was a figure of speech. I have no card or flag.

It depends on who they are to me and what the situation is but I generally don't bring religion up. But if I'm asked, I'm honest and share my beliefs. I might also ask them what they believe about God. I've never gotten the same answer.

If I'm at school they can usually tell from the FFRF and SSA stuff I have on my backpack and laptop. If we are talking about religion/politics I don't shy away from saying "Yeah no, I'm an Atheist so using the bible to justify X doesn't work for me".

I still avoid it, don't want to start fights.

I tell them that I am not a believer and that I have my own faith (in the secular meaning of this word)

i give them time to talk i just beleive what i think is true in my mind

I CANT and it is smart of me to not to

I never tell them

I live in the bible belt, and for the longest time have hidden my atheism, when people start talking about Jesus.
I still keep my mouth shut, unless directly asked. "You believe in Jesus, right?" "--No. I'm an atheist."
I don't get asked much, so I don't have to out myself much. Most Christians assume that everyone agrees with them, and most of the time they don't expect, or want confrontation any more than I do.

Inspired them through the ideas put forward in the discussions

I don't really have a problem telling them , sometimes it can lead on to some very interesting conversations.

I slam their religion without mercy and give examples of why their respective religion is crap.

If thay say "I'll pray for you" Its game on!

it is not in my naire to judge or argue with others or for them to judge either t

I always tell so they know not to bother me with religious doctrine. If they don't want you around anymore they are not worth your time. Telling you are not a believer can actually get a lot off pressure off you. You don't have to feel uncomfortable anymore when certain topics come up. You can give your opinion freely.

Did tell my sisterthat, if I'm going to christian hell, i'll have plenty of Christian company. That usually ends her judgement.

Is not a problem to tell them in what you trust ,the complications start when after the question "Why you don't trust in god(the religious one),in jesus etc?"Then you start to explain what you think about their religion and they look to you as an enemy 🙂 .....Part of the show for me 🙂)))

i say i don't believe there's a god as we know ,or don't know it!

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

At first I try to be polite and inform them I do not share their views and do not believe in a supreme being or religion. Should they persist I tell them I have up on my imaginary friends when I was 5

I dont! I avoid them like the plague!

" More power to you. I don't personally believe in God. To each their own. " I don't think iv had anyone disagree with me when I say that.

I don't, its no one's business. On the other hand, if I am forced to reveal I usually say "I don't agree with any religious views.

They tend to figure it out just by listening and watching me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.