Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (776 - 800)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Je suis musulmans

you mean?

This person wrote "I am a muslim" in French.

I don't unless they ask, then I just tell them and if they start with oh you just got to pray for him to reveal himself and all that I say I used to be a Christian and you don't how badly I wish still believed like that, life was so much easier when I belived I had someone looking out for me.

Reality it is better to me than lies and fantasies

Just do it lol

Just say it! Assuming that you've done your homework!

"I don't believe in that stuff" Period.

Mostly I don't. I just politely refuse to visit their church services, throw away any literature they give me, or of push comes to shove just tell them I"m a non-believer and let them make of it what they will.

Depends on the context. At work, I would avoid it if possible. With friends and family, just come out with it.

If they ask I simply tell them and don't worry about it. It usually starts a conversation.

I'm always reminded that i'm gonna end up in the lake of fire......
"FOREVER AND EVER"

Yes
....tell them you are a Capital A "Atheist" and say you wouldn't push the xian religion on Jews so do the same and keep your hell threats and heaven bribes for other xians

I think we are all aware that Political Correctness has found its way into most interpersonal communications. It seems the purpose behind this is to avoid giving offence to any other human being or group relating to their physical attributes or intellectual processes. This princip!e is currently applied in issues regarding, behaviour, social interaction, political affiliations and religious bliefs; but is often ignored in discussions regarding religious issues. Many religious believers (and "pretend" believers) feel justified in responding quickly and strongly critically to the statement '" am an atheist" or I am not convinced that there is a god.

Speak your mind and try variations. ..I THINK I don't believe. ...matters not the religionist query put 2 u .....I am a CAPITAL Atheist a noun not an adjective like xian

I most definitely BRANDISH my revolver Atheist pistol metaphor always hitting bullseyes on every dangling crucifix, Gideon bible in my motel socks drawer, lunar crescent muslim shador and skull cap stars of the capital of Palestine. ...I condemn the Scourge of Calcutta the dead never mom THERESA and the never existence of a single "saint" except the New Orleans top NFL qb best ever magically flexing his arm spiraling an oblique spheroid into the running hands of gloved heroic touchdown dancers. ....more talented than skeet shooters. ...until dictionaries PRINT RETRACTIONS and tell the truth that Atheism and Atheists are the only rational people amidst an ocean of deluded believers in boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns every year nut case Santa Claus survives an execution springtime Palestinian weekend fiction. ...I gotta say every time THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES. ..

I don't unless they ask and then I say either,' I am atheist' or 'I have no god' .
Depending upon their answer I either stay to chat a bit or get off

jacpod Level 8 July 27, 2018

I am honest but don't offer information about myself if the other person never asked, or unless they give me some reason to speak on the subject. For those who ask my beliefs I am honest but typically start by telling them I was raised Pentacostal, studied scriptures sincerely and eventually came to realize every organized religion in existence touts ideas that are most certainly either wrong or at least unsupported by their own scriptures. I point out as example the endless splintering of Protestant denominations, each one claiming theirs is the accurate one. Then I point to the Bible itself saying "No humans can ever fully comprehend the mind of God" and point to the contradiction that human-led churches appear to claim to do just that. I typically don't tell them that I believe NONE of the notion of a sentient deity looking after my life, instead keeping it more vague and explaining why doubt in any specific faith system is a reasonable position to take. I may eventually use the term "agnostic" but only after I have explained why I no longer believe what I was raised to believe. I don't use the term "atheist" unless I want to piss them off for being strident about their own delusional beliefs. In actuality, I am both agnostic and atheist, because these terms overlap and just have somewhat different focus and emphasis.

Depending on how obnoxious they've been, I sometimes tell them, "I'm not superstitious" or "I don't believe in mythology".

Call yourself a pastafarian

I just say I'm a follower of Odin of the Norse beliefs, the beliefs of my ancestors.

i love your humor.

I usually say "I'm not a believer." or "I don't believe that." I don't feel the need to label myself, and in the part of the fundamentalist Christian backwoods where I live, people expect atheists to have horns and walk around munching on babies.

Deb57 Level 8 June 13, 2018

Just tell them there is no god and then when they start to argue, ask them to PROVE IT!!

Yes I say it but have never had an adverse reaction but hereabout with a Protestant /Catholic divide - no one is really interested in Atheists we are of no account whatsoever though i have heard some people say back to me "ah thats a shame!" I usually just laugh no none has come accross as heavy just mystified.

Living in a mostly red state (evangelicals up the wazoo), it's pretty much not brought up unless you like being attacked by 20 or more nonthinkers at a time.
My exwife and former church are about the only ones aware at this point, and I don't have to deal with the nonsense of either one of those now.
MANY people online know (Twitter) but it's in my profile.

“Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.

I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of Homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line. ”

Bertrand Russell

I respond that I don't have a religion (atheism isn't a religion).

@Agamic I reply "I am Ignostic" Since only students of philosophy and/or comparitive religion tend to be familiar with the term, I get the dog hearing a fart face and little else.
I often follow up with "can you define God?"
and down the rabbit hole we go . . .

I usually don't unless they start to get really preachy. Then I tell them and if they push it explain to them why I am. Surprisingly I have had some great philosophical conversations with a few of the more open minded types and have gotten them to look more closely at the hypocrisy of many believers. The ones who are shocked and can't accept it are another story. Had some woman throwing holy water on me and turned around and asked her if she saw it boiling? She ran off in a huff. Family members are the hardest. I avoid discussing it as much as possible and have had a pretty successful time telling them that if they bring it up I am leaving. Got up and left in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner once and have never had a problem since.

I tell one and all stick with the commandment, LOVE THE NEIGHBOR AS THY SELF and shut the hell up about all the other bs.......

Wezzy Level 4 May 29, 2018

I only bring it up if I am asked or if their is an activity I am being asked to join in that involves religion. When I do need to tell someone, I am straight up to them and try very hard to be positive and not show my self righteous indignation towards their beliefs.
I am sometimes asked to pray for someone. I tell them to pray for themselves. Sometimes, I see a look of frustration, sometimes confusion. I try not to get into the discussion. I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.